What and when to eat before a race

Paulst12

I've always wondered what lond distance athletes eat before races, and how long before the events they have their meals. Also what do you consume during the race? We did a 136km race on Saturday, and i felt like I was close to my limit at the end even though I had Powerbar energy drinks and 3 Gu's during the race, and a big bowl of Pronutro and bananas 2 hours before the race.

Any trade secrets out there? Maybe a pro dropped a tip on what they do?

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

not a pro. oats with whey and milk mix before the ride 1 hour. I make a jaffle with chicken inside for 1ookm and more ride. Jaffle helps the chicken not to fall out while eating. This I eat at about 70 km. Powerbar and gu is not real food

Edited by flat29

It also makes a difference if it's Road or MTB.

A 136km Road race / ride is much faster than a MTB race / ride.

I did 136km ride yesterday with 1 bottle of Game, 1 energy bar, 1 muffin.

For a race I'll have a meal replacement shake with some oats a hour before the race, then I'll use 32Gi during the race.

Will carry an energy bar but hardly ever use them.

Before: Oats with milk, honey and banana, taken with a cup of coffee about an hour before the race.

During: depends on the distance but usually a mixture of the following GU Roctane, EVOX energy bar, peanuts and raisens, energade jellies, apples, bananas, baby potatoes

Make sure your glycogen stores are full by having some carbs. Protein is not fuel and you have enough fat. Fully fuelled you should be able to race for 90-120 mins. Depletion starts immediately so make sure you replenish when doing longer races.

I'm also no pro but I use pretty much the same formula for long distance running, cycling, triathlons.

- Have a decent meal the night before. I tend to have pasta but more out of habit and hearsay than it actually making a difference.

- I have a fair sized portion of Future Life with water and not milk at least an hour and a half before the event. (I have an unstable stomach and don't want to risk the milk).

- En route to the event and up to the start I'll take small sips of my 32GI or Hammer drink. I might have a banana too.

- Then during the event I'll make sure to keep up my calorie intake with a combination of gels, supplements, solid foods, energy drinks and Coke. Keeping this step up is key and I have found that as I get into the event and get more tired, I don't want to eat my food anymore and that is when I fall apart. Keeping to a rough schedule works best for me.

- After the event some protein for recovery and beers as a reward

Edited by clyde79

What does protein before the race help?

Usually eat the regular breakfast (Pronutro/future life/oats/mieliepap) maybe have a fruit with that.

During: peanut butter sarmie/baby potatoes/nuts/raisins

Post race, replenish the carbs, amino acids, salts etc you lost during the race. Like future life with extra whey/chicken wrap/lasagna etc.

Porra shop garlic burger and peri peri chips.

Yip. Washed down seconds before the gun goes at the start line with a quart of black label. :thumbup:

(unless you are a bit hungover from the pasta party the night before, then wash it down with a quart of milk stout)

Edited by Cellar

Porra shop garlic burger and peri peri chips.

Hahaha. don't want to ride close to you when your tummy says hallo

yasssis.

for real...if I can get my hands in a russian and chips from a tea room I would smash it with the monster....nothing like a russian / monster repeat burp....jetfuel I tell you