Cyclist airlifted out of Tokai

NixM

Sorry but I heard a completely different story. I heard it was a rider who came off on cobra at the tree stump. Double flip over the bars onto head. Helmet smashed and big concussion. Airlift was precautionary.

And this was from the attending medic. How can the stories be so divergent???

which tree stump?

Irrespective, if that's the case, that's pretty f'ing gnarly. Hope the guy's ok.

which again reminds me: howz that kiddo with the snapped neck doing these days? haven't heard anything for ages now!

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

which tree stump?

Irrespective, if that's the case, that's pretty f'ing gnarly. Hope the guy's ok.

which again reminds me: howz that kiddo with the snapped neck doing these days? haven't heard anything for ages now!

Entering ST2 from Cobra. Sounds like his fork dived and he went otb. Pretty gnarly off.

Last i heard the kid was slowly making a comeback. Very slowly.

Entering ST2 from Cobra. Sounds like his fork dived and he went otb. Pretty gnarly off.

Last i heard the kid was slowly making a comeback. Very slowly.

ST2? Is that the entrance to Mamba?

Truth be told you can come horribly pip virtually anywhere. I suppose some spots due to the inherent conditions do lend themselves to it happening more often. Like Shumacher, risks his life year in year out in an F1 car and then hits his head skiing and injures himself worse than he ever has before.

Best wishes to the rider.

I must say though that any exposed tree stump is a huge hazard, and I always try my best to avoid them, somtimes you have to ride over it. Tokai has alot of these stumpies sticking out of the ground.

Hey those are my photos, below is the info I have, whether it is true or not I don't now, but being there and watching the poor dude get airlifted out you notice how stories just come out on thin air and get pumped up, everyone wants to add there opinion and make it even more dramatic.

Was there shortly after. His name is Rusty from Bike Plus (?) seemed to hit the log at speed, fork compressed an he did a double flip. He could move his legs so no paralyses. I reckon the chopper was to prevent further damage on the jeep track. Not nice

Hey those are my photos, below is the info I have, whether it is true or not I don't now, but being there and watching the poor dude get airlifted out you notice how stories just come out on thin air and get pumped up, everyone wants to add there opinion and make it even more dramatic.

Was there shortly after. His name is Rusty from Bike Plus (?) seemed to hit the log at speed, fork compressed an he did a double flip. He could move his legs so no paralyses. I reckon the chopper was to prevent further damage on the jeep track. Not nice

Nice pics :thumbup:

I have always advocated removing unnecessary tree stumps or sappling shoots that have been cutt off at the base due to the risk to life and limb. It seems we think its cool to not get home to our loved ones. We have an increase in severe injuries in Tokai... I think its directly linked to the result of less maintenance being allowed due to SANParks wanting to conduct their burns first.

We need to treat Tokai with the respect it deserves

I have always advocated removing unnecessary tree stumps or sappling shoots that have been cutt off at the base due to the risk to life and limb. It seems we think its cool to not get home to our loved ones. We have an increase in severe injuries in Tokai... I think its directly linked to the result of less maintenance being allowed due to SANParks wanting to conduct their burns first.

We need to treat Tokai with the respect it deserves

I would imagine that Rusty having a shop down the road rides there often, unfortunately these things can happen at any time, even on trails you ride often.

PS: I don't know where the guy at the gate came from with his story

Indeed accidents happen but there is a trend and we neeed to be aware of that and not brush it off to bad luck. Part of what TokaiMTB needs to do is hazard assessment and when trails become too dangerous then it needs to be reworked. I don't have any fact surroundng this incident but generally with all the tree felling, there is a lot more stumps next to tails and these are hazards.

Being aware of what the trail is offering good or bad and talking about it raises awareness. If people are more aware then maybe we'll make better choices. recently I see more people making bad ones and leaving their health and safety in the hands of lady luck....

Psht.... If you push the envolope, test your skills you WILL get hurt.

All these perfectly manicured trails and easy riding single track are sucking the skill out of our sport.

I have shattered my arm, broken every rib on my left side, my shoulder blade and collar bone after a horrendous crash in France. All at once.... I got it wrong. The trail is there, ride it or walk it. If you choose to ride it, dont cry afterwards it was too hard.

This seems like a high speed crash. Maybe the road was a little oily after the rain, maybe the line vs speed vs tar/gravel change over was miscalculated but there are NO trails in Tokai that need altering due to them being dangerous. None at all.

Accidents happen, injuries happen and sometimes death.

Its a real thing.

I am not taking away the heartfelt tragedy of the outcome nor the fact that it is a horrible thing to happen, but this sport is about acquired skill, knowing your limits and eventually extending those limits. NOT cutting down tree stumps next to the trails or creating red carpet velvety trails which dont test the riders ability.

Psht.... If you push the envolope, test your skills you WILL get hurt.

All these perfectly manicured trails and easy riding single track are sucking the skill out of our sport.

I have shattered my arm, broken every rib on my left side, my shoulder blade and collar bone after a horrendous crash in France. All at once.... I got it wrong. The trail is there, ride it or walk it. If you choose to ride it, dont cry afterwards it was too hard.

This seems like a high speed crash. Maybe the road was a little oily after the rain, maybe the line vs speed vs tar/gravel change over was miscalculated but there are NO trails in Tokai that need altering due to them being dangerous. None at all.

Accidents happen, injuries happen and sometimes death.

Its a real thing.

I am not taking away the heartfelt tragedy of the outcome nor the fact that it is a horrible thing to happen, but this sport is about acquired skill, knowing your limits and eventually extending those limits. NOT cutting down tree stumps next to the trails or creating red carpet velvety trails which dont test the riders ability.

Hi singlespeedGuy. I have to say that while I agree that it's a dangerous sport, what's the point in making it unnecessarily so? While everyone needs to accept they can get hurt while riding Tokai, I don't see any point in leaving dangerous obstacles where possible. How are your skills improved when there are dangerous tree stumps or sharp branches next to the trails? This is not to "dis" the trail builders - they do a great job - but perhaps trails for Hard-core riders can be designated as so and those for people like me who want a testing ride without the risk of being skewered can go and find one.