Is motorcycling allowed?

Guest EdEdEd

Fair points but perhaps it's a foray into use of a new manufacturer. Take your point about them existing to make money but to use non-functioning brakes would cause immense reputational damage and loss of future revenue. If KTM use J. Juan brakes and they are used on the SBK circuit, surely that means they are proven? Hayes too are proven.

I get that you're uncomfortable with this and of course as a rider and consumer you're entitled to your preferences but I think perhaps this might be the sign of things to come and we may see Brembo being replaced on other bikes too. On the positive side, as long as performance is not compromised, surely competition is good for us?

As a last point:

https://ultimatemotorcycling.com/2018/01/27/ktm-super-duke-now-part-huge-brembo-front-brake-recall/

https://advrider.com/f/threads/ktm-spongy-front-brakes.834784/

• Replies 10.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Took my boy to do some open road riding yesterday.

Did the first few km's on the back with him to show him where to ride and at what speed and he then rode for about 24km on his own pushing it up to 60kp/h at times.

I must admit I got a bit worked up.77af388f49ea075f03e7d7cbc6baf3af.jpg5e51f0b642496cbea5a3bb06b792dfa8.jpgd8508c9717760c37cb201c46d49dc9fe.jpg

Looks like I'm going to skip the intermediate e-bike step and go straight to motorbike.

Getting my learners license at the end of the month and been evaluating bike options. Will be 95% commuting. 

Like the look of the Yamaha MT-03. 

Pretty excited and nervous, haven't ridden a moto since I was a kid.

Looks like I'm going to skip the intermediate e-bike step and go straight to motorbike.

Getting my learners license at the end of the month and been evaluating bike options. Will be 95% commuting.

If you have a KTM dealer in the area consider the 390

I haven't seen the Aussie LAMS approved list, but if it's anything like the one here in NZ, there are some pretty decent bikes on it (including the MT-07).

My only wish is that the Husky 701 wasn't on the wrong side of that list for me. Oh well, another 5 months and I can upgrade from a restricted to a full license.

Good luck with the learners! Is it just a written test (like in SA) or does it involve a bike handling competency test, like it does in NZ?

Yeah the MT-07 comes in a LAMs approved version but to be honest I found even the MT-03 pretty intimidating - it's been ages since I've been near a bike and they are WAY bigger, fancier and heavier than I remember. So happy to start off on something a bit more manageable.

Test is a 2 day course, 3.5 hrs each day handling competency and then a theory test of 45 questions.

Yeah the MT-07 comes in a LAMs approved version but to be honest I found even the MT-03 pretty intimidating - it's been ages since I've been near a bike and they are WAY bigger, fancier and heavier than I remember. So happy to start off on something a bit more manageable.

Test is a 2 day course, 3.5 hrs each day handling competency and then a theory test of 45 questions.

Don't be put off. The new bikes may have all the farkles and padding but the basics are the same. 

30 seconds and you'll be into it.

And smiling from ear to ear....

I bought an aftermarket seat for the 310GS. 

My hobbit sized body is thanking me.

Its much more comfortable now and I can get more foot access.

That bike is surprisingly tall. Taller than a 1200GS

Just posting here in case anyone is looking... 

Carbs for sale! 

KLE 500 Carbs off a running bike, brand new OEM Kawa air screws included as I pinched them for the other set of carbs while i waited for stock! 

Make me an offer!