Who remembers?

DPG

First trip to the States, it was R3 something to the Dollar. We felt sooooo sorry for ourselves. Should have bought the place.  ;)

First time I went to the US $1 = R2.20!!! Rented a car in White Plains New York and drove through Niagra Falls, Toronto, Quebec City through to Montreal and then down through Boston, back to NY. Petrol in the US was $0.80 a gallon, I think.

Went to live there in '90, exchange rate was about $1 = R2.70. Then Mandela was released, my wife missed her folks, so we came back to SA.

Eight months later we were divorced, man life is messed up!!!!!

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I remember in 1987 odd on a school tour we were discussing it...R1 to the dollar and R2 to the pound. When I went overseas in 1995 it was R4.25 to the pound and we stayed with some guys from zim and the zoom dollar was 17 to the pound

Seventeen years before your date (above) I was at varsity in Durbs. At that stage the Zim$ 1 = R1.25!!!

Petrol was around R0.11 a litre

Castle/Lion was R0.18 a bottle

Cadburys choc was R0.20 a slab.

I lived like a king on my monthly pocket money of Zim$35 :clap:  :clap:

• 2 weeks later...

Yuuuuup. That SK was legend, back in the day. Like Sanlam Centre used to be, as well. Used to be a Longhorn / Spur or something outside... Catch a movie and a beer. 

If you lived in Durbs, or visited Durbs in the past, you might remember this place:

42619814_974835542703140_921221594090779

Ari Souvlaki

I can swear they are still in Sea Point. Had a meal there about a year ago? Am I confused or something? It's Friday and it was a bloody long week! Where is my whiskey?

Yuuuuup. That SK was legend, back in the day. Like Sanlam Centre used to be, as well. Used to be a Longhorn / Spur or something outside... Catch a movie and a beer.

We watched the movie " The Doors" at The Wheel. We were stoned at the time... back in the days when you could still smoke in a cinema.

There was also that Moroccan market thing on the one side and the restaurant that you accessed over that suspended bridge if I recall.

A few years later a guy that I worked with almost had his kid kidnapped from there! Two guys just picked the lighty up and carried him outside towards a waiting taxi. Luckily they weren't successful.

Snip.

And maybe a Star Wars, although I didn't really get the point of Star Wars and still don't.

What the actual F!!

The point of Star Wars?? What’s the point of the Mona Lisa, what’s the point of anything really if you can’t like Star Wars!

I can swear they are still in Sea Point. Had a meal there about a year ago? Am I confused or something? It's Friday and it was a bloody long week! Where is my whiskey?

Nope...I believe they still are there

We were talking about the rise and fall of shopping centers this morning.

Wendy was telling me that, back in the day, the Flora Center was "the place to be" :-)

Nope...I believe they still are there

Since they moved to the other end of Main road, they have become forgettable....

If you lived in Durbs, or visited Durbs in the past, you might remember this place:

42619814_974835542703140_921221594090779

And close by was the Pink Panther restaurant - it was the restaurant's name?