Who remembers?

DPG

Ja the days when 702 played music and spoke no political k@k...

Was in standard 6 when they launched - still remember listening to Cocky Two Bull. Think he used to be on a Saturday night.

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Each person had their own ideas on discipline and how they bring up their kids. I personally don't believe in smacking my kids but what works for my family may not work for another family.

But there must be consistency and a No means NO. Often seen it out and about where a mum says no to child,child carries on whining or whatever and the mum gives in.

As someone who works with kids almost daily and who is leaving soon, and who has been really overwhelmed by how positive the feedback has been in terms of references for the future from the parents of the kids, the main thread is that the kids never see me lose my temper but I also don't put up with rubbish. That is from the kids themselves. It was something I learnt long ago, when my mom only really seriously punished me once - she took away my access to to the one thing I truly loved which in my case was sport. No anger or violence is necessary. The only teachers who beat me were the ones who couldn't teach. In my best teachers' classes noone needed to be beaten.

But I will put a caveat on to this: there are kids I have had who, in my mind, at the time, I could easily have thrown with a rock. In almost every single one of those cases, the issue was not with me. And I think people who can't deal with a circumstance and who don't understand the child may be trying to tell you something, end up doing the beating in frustration.

Second caveat: I haven't had to deal with a seriously disturbed/abused/violent child. I am grateful. My colleagues have and it is an unbelievably difficult thing to handle. In this circumstance, and I am generalising with hearsay, it is almost always the parents.

I on the other hand have never hit my son or my daughter. They are both well behaved, well adjusted kids who do great at school.

You are fortunate then, to have raised such well adjusted kids. I am assuming that in lieu of not having to have given them a hiding, you would use some other form of discipline, as kids all need discipline every now and then, since how else do they test their boundaries.

in saying this, I am stoked that you have kids who clearly love mom and dad enough to be examples of good citizens, even at school. You really are lucky.

I don't necessarily say that a kid MUST be given a hiding, only that when all else has failed, perhaps it is not always a bad judgement call. But, and this is a HUGE BUT, it MUST be done in love, NEVER out of anger.

I Was searching through a couple of boxes for somthing. They have been in storage for a decade (or two) and I found my long forgotten Gameboy. Who else had one ? 

post-62204-0-15851600-1504677346_thumb.jpg

I Was searching through a couple of boxes for somthing. They have been in storage for a decade (or two) and I found my long forgotten Gameboy. Who else had one ? 

I had one in the late 90's, which was handed down to me from my ex brother in law. After a few months of playing on it, I lent it to a "friend" and never saw it again.

Edit: My favourite games were Super Mario Land, Mortal Kombat, and Tetris.

Edited by HyruleWarrior80

I mainly had these growing up, but the originals of course. The Famiclone I got a few months ago, and the AtGames Sega Megadrive I got some time last year.

19554183_10155544265959791_7822385895824

13765663_10154411834269791_6630079786829

attachicon.gifdonkey.jpg

the hours spent playing this...........cause no one would know!

Eish, we must be getting old cos I had the egg laying one, the parachute one and Donkey Kong. I know there was a fourth I had but for the life of me I can't remember what it was. Was there one with fish, or something? It's terrible when your age catches up with my what pretty colours...

Eish, we must be getting old cos I had the egg laying one, the parachute one and Donkey Kong. I know there was a fourth I had but for the life of me I can't remember what it was. Was there one with fish, or something? It's terrible when your age catches up with my what pretty colours...

The mickey Mouse one with FOUR buttons - I had that one.  And my brother had the Popeye one - where you had to catch cans of spinach without getting hut by Brutus off the boat....

Who else did this and teased all the girls in maths?

:D I obviously spent my youth incorrectly

Formosa Inn and The Caves in Plett....

Yeeehaaaah

I remember Forms on a Sunday afternoon. If I recall they had an awesome Pizza Oven.

Also the good old Tapas bar on Thesen Island before all the new development. They used to sell 2l jugs of Bossuns and Foresters

This was the only digital game I have ever had, but my calculator wasn't as fancy as this

Still got mine, I was able to clock the game. It got quite addictive

s-l300.jpg

Edited by Eugene