Average watts for sub 3 Argus?

jkoorts

Average watts needed on a road bike for sub 3 Argus?

7kg bike, 70kg person including food and water.

Edited by jkoorts

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Smimby

That is going to be different for every person depending on weight and weight of bike

I am also interested in this one. Hope some sub 3hour hubbers (or there about) would list their FTP results or maybe more valuable- their Watts per kg results.

That is going to be different for every person depending on weight and weight of bike

Thanks added some info

I was 77kg and by using the power of Strava, it estimates my 2:52 at 326W. Dont know how close it is, but it is a start. (No power meter, hence strava estimate)

If you're going to ride in a bunch all the way, you would need alot less than 326W. On the climbs when drafting helps you less, then you need to produce more watts on the climb. But I'd say you could ride a sub 3 hour at that weight, with the benefit of drafting, at Norm power of around 260 or even less.

If you're going to ride in a bunch all the way, you would need alot less than 326W. On the climbs when drafting helps you less, then you need to produce more watts on the climb. But I'd say you could ride a sub 3 hour at that weight, with the benefit of drafting, at Norm power of around 260 or even less.

Probably spot on, I did not tell strava I sat in the bunch until the climbs :P

way off the sub 3 pace, but i did a sad 3:24 at an avg 225W

weighed in at 80kg with a 7.7Kg bike

and did a 2:50 94.7 at 234W on the same setup, maybe a kg or 2 lighter

way off the sub 3 pace, but i did a sad 3:24 at an avg 225W

weighed in at 80kg with a 7.7Kg bike

and did a 2:50 94.7 at 234W on the same setup, maybe a kg or 2 lighter

Wow the effects of power to weight ratio :)

Alllllll depends on how much drafting you are doing during the race.

Most "sub 3" rides are done in A, B, C where the bunch is big and you can hide from the wind and even not work in front once.

2013: VA group.

2:54 at 232 avg watt or 288 Norm Power. 81.7kg.

Got dropped on Chappies going down.

2012 VA group

2:43 at 261 avg or 312 Norm Power. 77.5kg.

Lots of chasing in beginning due to crashes. (Working in front thus) Also dropped on Chappies with a small group of 5 for the last 10km.

2011 VA group

2:49 at 225 avg or 290 Norm Power. 79kg

Stuck to the group

Forget the WATTS !!

If your average speed is at 30km/h or above on your rides you can get a sub 3hr.

Simple

and if you can do it by keeping your cadence above 90 (make sure you keep as high a cadence uphill as possible) even better.

KISS.

Forget the WATTS !!

For me the best indicator of your sub-3 ability is actually your PPA seeding

Argus Winning Time usually around 2h40, so you can be 12.5% slower than the winner and still make it

So if your PPA seeding is lower than 15 you are in with a shout, if it's higher than 15 then your start group is going to be too bad anyway to do a sub-3.

Edited by Skubarra

Forget the WATTS !!

If your average speed is at 30km/h or above on your rides you can get a sub 3hr.

Simple

and if you can do it by keeping your cadence above 90 (make sure you keep as high a cadence uphill as possible) even better.

KISS.

Closer to 35km/h me thinks