The Beer Debate

fun fact:

the turn around time of the average Castle LITE quart bottle is 14-16 days from refill to refill 

• Replies 615
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

fun fact:

the turn around time of the average Castle LITE quart bottle is 14-16 days from refill to refill 

probably their most popular beer right now (?)

Castle lite is brewed at a high gravity, giving it high alcohol and sugar levels, and is then watered down with sofa weer to give it the lite values.

Might you be getting high-gravity brewing, and brewing a brand to have lower kilojoules, in package, by limiting residual carbohydrates, mixed up?

Is this something you have first hand knowledge of, or just a braai-side 'SAB rumor'?

Braai side banter who knows a ton more about brewing than I do. I might have my terms wrong as well.

But it has ruined castle lite for me, it taste even more like watered down beer to me now.

It's like when my wife tells me there is cabbage in the food somewhere...

Might you be getting high-gravity brewing, and brewing a brand to have lower kilojoules, in package, by limiting residual carbohydrates, mixed up?

I specifically remember high - gravity brewing, and the guy explaining it to me. I might have lost something in the relaying though.

I specifically remember high - gravity brewing, and the guy explaining it to me. I might have lost something in the relaying though.

Well, whilst the meat is braaing........sales gravity brewing involves brewing a beer at the required alcohol and taste/aroma/body etc. This involves using a lot of water, or cabbage, if you prefer! High-gravity brewing is essentially brewing a concentrated beer (elevated alcohol and all the other taste and aroma components), by using less water, and then prior to bottling, the beer is diluted back down with water to the concentration of the equivalent sales gravity beer. It isn't 'watering' beer down; it's adding water later in the brewing process.

Castle Lite and the other reduced calorie beers, achieves it's reduced calorie value by having a lower alcohol by volume (alcohol has a high calorific value), and also by having reduced residual fermentable and non-fermentable carbohydrates (simplistically sugars).

Some Lite beers are produced using high-gravity brewing, some not. Irregardless, the 'lite' attribute doesn't come from high-gravity brewing. 

Not trying to get you drinking Castle Lite - I'm not a fan of it either - merely trying to share some knowledge and dispel some of the braai-beer misunderstandings...

fun fact:

In CT, it's far shorter than that

Well, whilst the meat is braaing........sales gravity brewing involves brewing a beer at the required alcohol and taste/aroma/body etc. This involves using a lot of water, or cabbage, if you prefer! High-gravity brewing is essentially brewing a concentrated beer (elevated alcohol and all the other taste and aroma components), by using less water, and then prior to bottling, the beer is diluted back down with water to the concentration of the equivalent sales gravity beer. It isn't 'watering' beer down; it's adding water later in the brewing process.

Castle Lite and the other reduced calorie beers, achieves it's reduced calorie value by having a lower alcohol by volume (alcohol has a high calorific value), and also by having reduced residual fermentable and non-fermentable carbohydrates (simplistically sugars).

Some Lite beers are produced using high-gravity brewing, some not. Irregardless, the 'lite' attribute doesn't come from high-gravity brewing. 

Not trying to get you drinking Castle Lite - I'm not a fan of it either - merely trying to share some knowledge and dispel some of the braai-beer misunderstandings...

Castle Lite in Uganda is 4.5%. It's not about the ABV, it's the calorific value. Or the label on the bottle, not the contents.

For a while I thought buying quarts is a great way to save money...but I ended up drinking more beer. (Not a bad thing in my mind, but my waistline and cycling certainly did not approve)

Had these yesterday. The weis was very fruity, didnt like it too much but the Butcher Block was really lekker. Had a sweetness to it but good bitterness.

post-57045-0-84883100-1474302102_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I am looking into buying a complete home brewing kit.

Which kits are the best to buy?

Where in Jhb are these available from? Will be in the area during the course of the week.

Thanx in advance.

Had these yesterday. The weis was very fruity, didnt like it too much but the Butcher Block was really lekker. Had a sweetness to it but good bitterness.

I am not the biggest Weiss fan, but those are not bad at all.

The Butcher is a lekker beer!