A dark Africa lays ahead.....load shedding

Mojoman

• Replies 787
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I see you still display lack of self control, by not restraining yourself from rather ironic name-calling. Same old you hey.

But to your question, many have left. At the time, there were very many very good engineers and managers who, despite being sidelined from growth opportunities, kept the organization functional. Those are the ones who took pride in their work and did what they knew best and it kept the ship floating as best they could. If it wasn't for them, we as a country would have been in the current dark hole much, much sooner. 

But there's been a massive brain drain (not just from the middle but from the bottom as well. that is, really great young talents have left for better growth opportunities because of ridiculous race politics, and those young men and women were a very bright future for Eskom), and the few good ones that remain, their best efforts are no longer sufficient.

So here we are, cheap-points-scoring ad hominem attacks and all.

"Lack of self control" is because know it all's discounted (again, being polite) the facts of where Eskom was heading from way back; maybe due to self interest? I saw and experienced people being screwed up and around by Eskom and called it. You defended Eskom. Man up.

"Lack of self control" is because know it all's discounted (again, being polite) the facts of where Eskom was heading from way back; maybe due to self interest? I saw and experienced people being screwed up and around by Eskom and called it. You defended Eskom. Man up.

I defended the good people of the company. Get it right. For once.

Oxymoron?

https://www.businesslive.co.za/bd/national/2019-02-15-cyril-ramaphosa-rules-out--job-cuts-at-eskom/

Cyril Ramaphosa rules out job cuts at Eskom The utility is overstaffed with 27,500 employees

He needs his alliance partners and they have read him the riot act so he has to fall in line. Again, come end of May with elections done and dusted, this may change. Doubtful though

Same as at SABC where the unions are kicking up a stink at the skills audits. Surely if you are confident in your skills, you have nothing to fear?? Shows you, they know these jobs have been fabricated to lower our unemployment figures artificially. Get rid of the dead weight, you can't sacrifice the future of the country and generations to come for a few lazy sods..........

Traffic lights on or off has no effect in George regarding people transport vehicles. (Taxis)

Same with certain areas of this side of ZA as well.

............... you can't sacrifice the future of the country and generations to come for a few lazy sods..........

But politicians can for a few bucks or a few votes. They've proved it to us again and again! Sods they are!

As it has panned out, there is a fundamental disconnect between 'jobs' and functionality / productivity / competence in just about all SOE's, and one can say the rest of the state organisations,

Oxymoron?

https://www.businesslive.co.za/bd/national/2019-02-15-cyril-ramaphosa-rules-out--job-cuts-at-eskom/

Cyril Ramaphosa rules out job cuts at Eskom The utility is overstaffed with 27,500 employees

And IIRC the ave salary at Eskom is R700k p.a.

I have this friend-person that was an engineer at Eskom.

He was tasked with a project somewhere in the Eastern Cape, whilst being based in Gauteng.

The project was supposed to run for something like 3 months, which turned into 6. He later on milked the whole thing to run for ~2 years.

Reason why; he received accommodation, and inconvenience pay (x1.5 rate). He even gave up his rent in Joburg during that time and managed to buy a few properties in Cape Town.

The rot runs deep.

<snip>

Then there was a  missive from the Eskom CEO, in which he declares sabotage as a non-starter, Bbut goes into a bit of prose about how it would be unthinkable, and beyond the conscience of Eskom's professionals. It's curious because why state it's not something, but then go and appeal to professional, patriotic conscience to prevent the something.

Very odd, very curious IMO.

<snip>

oh dear...

Guardians for Eskom’s power stations as load shedding fears continue Feb 17 2019 14:52 
Paul Burkhardt, Bloomberg

Johannesburg - Police and intelligence officers will be deployed to Eskom’s power stations to prevent sabotage as the government implements a plan to end outages and help the utility recover, the Sunday Times reported.

Eskom, which provides more than 90% of South Africa’s power, has been rationing electricity to the already fragile system, hurting Africa’s most industrialised economy and weighing on the rand.

President Cyril Ramaphosa’s plan to split the utility into three divisions, which could lead to job cuts, has led to protest threats from unions.

There is widespread and well-organised opposition to Ramaphosa’s leadership ahead of elections scheduled for May, the Johannesburg-based newspaper said.

Unions staged a nationwide protest against job losses on Wednesday and are planning a second demonstration in Cape Town on February 19, a day before Finance Minister Tito Mboweni presents his budget speech

Edited by Capricorn

• 4 weeks later...

Stage 3 on a Saturday!!

I hope for better days, but fear for the worst.

And will Eskom be a going concern in 2 week's time? 31 March is financial year-end.

And NUMSA's strike against unbundling and IPP's in early May could get very ugly too. 

Stage 3 on a Saturday!!

I hope for better days, but fear for the worst.

And will Eskom be a going concern in 2 week's time? 31 March is financial year-end.

And NUMSA's strike against unbundling and IPP's in early May could get very ugly too.

Now on stage 4. Hello darkness my old friend. [emoji1787], At least I'm saving on koopkrag.

Sent from my VTR-L09 using Tapatalk

Cyclone whatever buggered up powerlines from Cahora Bassa. You know it is trouble when reliant on importing from Mozambique.

Little birdy tells me fortunes being made tidying Eskom's ash bugger ups from minimal maintenance..