loadshedding

Matchstix

Coincidentally, again, at around the same time that they are applying to NERSA to increase prices again. 

Sounds like extortion to me..

wait till nuclear gets put back on the table....

• Replies 328
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

we are one of the most coal reliant countries in the world. something needs to be put on the table

we are one of the most coal reliant countries in the world. something needs to be put on the table

then you are in for a treat...

Going to be very disappointed if wind and solar don't get big allocations.

Private money invested to build, cheaper than current cost. Definition of a no brainer, as per the models.

There is talk of ESKOM deploying mega battery banks at substations, capable of carrying it through the evening peak consumption period.

That way they won't need to run those Open Cycle Tubines as much, with massive cost savings.

If this is employed everywhere and people are encouraged to have their own battery banks at home it would make the feasibility of Renewables skyrocket.

But, we are waaaaaay off from going completely away from power stations.

I am still of the opinion that the correct Nuclear Power plant is the way to go. There is no other base load power source that can compete currently with regards to emissions and overall cost per electricity unit over the lifetime of the plant. That is not even touching on the disasters that are Medupi and Kusile. We need to move away from COAL ASAP.

https://www.windy.com/-NO2-no2?cams,no2,-29.884,22.236,7

post-27827-0-57110400-1571219375_thumb.png

There is talk of ESKOM deploying mega battery banks at substations, capable of carrying it through the evening peak consumption period.

That way they won't need to run those Open Cycle Tubines as much, with massive cost savings.

If this is employed everywhere and people are encouraged to have their own battery banks at home it would make the feasibility of Renewables skyrocket.

I am still of the opinion that the correct Nuclear Power plant is the way to go. There is no other base load power source that can compete currently with regards to emissions and overall cost per electricity unit over the lifetime of the plant. That is not even touching on the disasters that are Medupi and Kusile. We need to move away from COAL ASAP.

After watching "Inside Bills Brain" on Netflix, my skepticism is slightly less. I think he may be onto something. Using depleted Uranium at atmospheric pressures. 

After watching "Inside Bills Brain" on Netflix, my skepticism is slightly less. I think he may be onto something. Using depleted Uranium at atmospheric pressures. 

this is key to appreciate: there's current state nuclear, and future state nuclear. I'm not a supporter for the former. At all. the world should plow money and focus into efforts like that of Mr Gates and the proposed travelling wave reactor.

Not all nuclear is the same, and in the hype/rush to save the planet, ppl are falling for the joke that is the current state of nuclear. Renewables can fill the gap. 

What a cool website!

this is South Africa....those batteries will just be stolen by our comrades ..

this is South Africa....those batteries will just be stolen by our comrades ..

They can’t even keep the cell tower batteries safe.

From Business Day:

The first load-shedding in more than six months came on the day the cabinet is due to deliberate on the Integrated Resource Plan (IRP), the government’s long-term planning strategy to meet electricity demand.

Coincidentally, again, at around the same time that they are applying to NERSA to increase prices again. 

Sounds like extortion to me..

This type of conspiracy implies a certain level of competence on the side of Escom - I'm sticking with stupid & useless with some lucky coincidence in timing.

Pity the US-China trade wars put an end to that - for the time being.