Nothing will ever change will it

Muddy

And I am referring to the incessant need by cyclist to 'own' the road i.e. disobeying the laws. But this rant is not about that per se since that is a futile debate with advocates on both sides. What this rant is concerned with is the fact that there are now groups/individuals that actually 'attack' those who do obey the laws. 

This Saturday I'm cut off when I cross a green light by a large cycle lab group jumping the red without any hesitation. I saw them coming so took evasive action and went on my merry way, in the same direction as them, but on the gravel since I'm on a MTB on my way to Groenies. I pass the whole group and a few hundred meters further on I'm forced back into the yellow line when the ride-able gravel ended. Another 50 meters further the next light turned red and I proceeded to stop. About 45 seconds later all hell broke loose as I'm been shouted at for stopping at the red light and endangering their (this is the cycle lab group I over took) lives. There was one particularly verbal individual. I waited for the light to turn green and proceeded to ride up to the group and this individual. Now during my brief encounter with him I was able to establish that he is a) physically weak, b) mentally weak and c) intellectually weak.

He is physically weak because he thinks he is on a training ride while battling to hold the wheel of the big boned chick in front of him while riding in the middle a 30+ bunch.

He is mentally weak since he obviously buckled under peer pressure to the notion that a cyclist 'owns' the road.

But most astonishingly he is an individual with a very weak intellect.  When I rode up to him and inquired as to why he felt the need to verbally abuse me for obeying the law he proceed to inform me that the fact that a whole bunch broke the law by not stopping at a red light means they were in the right and that I was in the wrong for stopping at a red light. My jaw dropped and after asking him to invite me to his child's funeral when a car driver who made his own law kills him I departed. What scares me is not the fact that people decide when a law applies to them and also how it implies. It also does not scare me that there are many, many of them. What scares me is the fact that he actually think that he is right and conveys this to a youth that joins the club, who then applies this same logic when driving his first car.

I do not know what Andrew's affiliation with the club is but I feel sorry for him. He has begged and pleaded multiple times on national TV for cyclist to obey the traffic laws, only to have people like these show him the middle finger. Unfortunately no matter what his involvement he is still associated with the club, even by non cyclists.

Edited by Muddy

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds effing bizarre....don't Cyclelab group rides all have a group leader/marshal. Where was he or she with their input?

that's flcked up. well and truly fubar. Again, why the hell is it so damn hard to stop at a red light? I've yet to hear one damn good reason other than the usual drivel which is really just personal convenience posing as something rational (not talking about very early morning, no traffic situations). Weak!

Edited by Capricorn

I have stopped doing club rides for this reason. I have been a member of two clubs now - both did it. Also riding in big "bunches" that leaves the traffic no options. I think traffic lights make for good little acceleration exercises. Stop. Go full tilt. Stop. Etc. Good training I think.

While I hate that most cyclists seem to have the red light problem, and it's one of my very most pet hates, I've never been on a Cyclelab ride where we've rolled through a red light. I've ridden in most of the groups, and still not experienced this. I have, on the other hand, worked my ass off to catch the front of the bunch after a split at a red light! A few times too!

I would write in to the club and let them know. They are quite good at reminding the club as a whole and the Marshalls specifically to keep to the rules and ride safely and properly. The Marshall of the group you were in was clearly a tosser. There are one or two but next time, look out for the guys in te bunch wearing green shirts. They're the ones to voice your complaints to.

But sorry for the danger, I do fear for society when we have the level of idiocy that we do. And unfortunately, idiots cycle too.

Again, why the hell is it so damn hard to stop at a red light? Weak!

It's because so many people are used to pushing the boundaries of the law in their daily life.

How many people stop and stay behind the line at a red robot, creeping across? How many go through red because they traveling to fast to stop or just could not be bothered???

It's become a way of life, blame it on decaying morals, lack of law enforcement or whatever, it's become a way of life.

the only way this will change is by wallet

MONEY, MONEY,

MONEY,

if you are a shop,club,group, who want to ride in bigger groups than say 10(just a figure) then you must at all times have a CAPT. who is responsible for the group who carries a card/licence if there is a trangression then the card must be produced and a fine must be given relative to the group/financial strength of the group(that card must be part of a data base),,,,,,IT MUST STING, IF ITS A STRONG CLUB they must feel the effects for months,,,,,it must not be R500 it must hurt the coffers, 

clubs getting smacked with HUGE Fines will quickly keep their riders in check

if we all had R100 for every time there was a thread or chirp about cycle lab club/group ride carrying on like they own the road imagine all the riding we could be doing there would be no need for working,

i say if cycle lab was slapped with a R50K-R100K fine TRUST ME WE WONT HEAR OF cycle labs groups red light brigades,,

we drive to van gaalens often and  if you see cycle lab groups they riding 3 or 4 abreast and red means MAYBE slow down, the other day i saw them nearly mow down 2 MTB who were "stoopid" enough to be minding their own business waiting for a green light by broad acres, 

it would take metro 1 day to slap a huge fine on them it wouldnt be a month long sting operation to catch them

And I am referring to the incessant need by cyclist to 'own' the road i.e. disobeying the laws. But this rant is not about that per se since that is a futile debate with advocates on both sides. What this rant is concerned with is the fact that there are now groups/individuals that actually 'attack' those who do obey the laws. 

This Saturday I'm cut off when I cross a green light by a large cycle lab group jumping the red without any hesitation. I saw them coming so took evasive action and went on my merry way, in the same direction as them, but on the gravel since I'm on a MTB on my way to Groenies. I pass the whole group and a few hundred meters further on I'm forced back into the yellow line when the ride-able gravel ended. Another 50 meters further the next light turned red and I proceeded to stop. About 45 seconds later all hell broke loose as I'm been shouted at for stopping at the red light and endangering their (this is the cycle lab group I over took) lives. There was one particularly verbal individual. I waited for the light to turn green and proceeded to ride up to the group and this individual. Now during my brief encounter with him I was able to establish that he is a) physically weak, b) mentally weak and c) intellectually weak.

He is physically weak because he thinks he is on a training ride while battling to hold the wheel of the big boned chick in front of him while riding in the middle a 30+ bunch.

He is mentally weak since he obviously buckled under peer pressure to the notion that a cyclist 'owns' the road.

But most astonishingly he is an individual with a very weak intellect.  When I rode up to him and inquired as to why he felt the need to verbally abuse me for obeying the law he proceed to inform me that the fact that a whole bunch broke the law by not stopping at a red light means they were in the right and that I was in the wrong for stopping at a red light. My jaw dropped and after asking him to invite me to his child's funeral when a car driver who made his own law kills him I departed. What scares me is not the fact that people decide when a law applies to them and also how it implies. It also does not scare me that there are many, many of them. What scares me is the fact that he actually think that he is right and conveys this to a youth that joins the club, who then applies this same logic when driving his first car.

I do not know what Andrew's affiliation with the club is but I feel sorry for him. He has begged and pleaded multiple times on national TV for cyclist to obey the traffic laws, only to have people like these show him the middle finger. Unfortunately no matter what his involvement he is still associated with the club, even by non cyclis

Fell off my chair laffing - I love the way your controlled anger was channeled into superb writing - nicely done!  I have a very vivid picture of this weak-@ss mook!  Hope CL takes note. Fortunately, there are way better, cheaper, better stocked, way more expert shops around, even in their own backyard, so hopefully their riding groups will dismantle over time.  Has anyone been to that new Mellow Velo shop in Broadacres?  What a top bunch of okes

would love to know what group it was because as a rule (RULE not a suggestion) we stop at red robots. I will often get abused by non cycle lab riders who are pissed we've stopped. Pity you didn't have video because that would enable the club to get rid of the "inertia" riders. Having said that, It sounds like one of the faster groups which would only have 1 group leader. He rides at the front and there is NO excuse for going through red. He unfortunately wont have any control of those behind him shooting through a red.