Sani2c 2016

Squier

Hi hubbers. I recently changed to a 1X11 setup with a 34t. It has been great and worked just fine for the spruit, up Northcliff Hill, Modder, Northern Farm but on a training ride at Suikerbos yesterday I was fine up until the last big climb. My legs had no power left and I made it to the top in my worst strava time. My question now is, should I change to a 32t for Sani or take a 32t with and get mechanic to change for day 2 only. I'm not too worried about day 1 and 3 on a 34t. Day 2 scares me alot.

As far as I can remember there were only 2 hills I got off and walked on Sani on day 2 (with a 1x10, 34t) and it was not the loooong one. It was somewhere in the beginning and just after the Nando's stop, but most people were walking up there anyway. And I was not fit at all.

To change a chainring you don't need a mechanic. I can change mine with only taking the pedals off (allen key...I run wide flats so with SPD's one probably don't even have to remove the pedal) and then slide the chainrings over the crank (also allen key to loosen and fasten)- but your setup might be totally different....what are you running?

• Replies 467
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

As far as I can remember there were only 2 hills I got off and walked on Sani on day 2 (with a 1x10, 34t) and it was not the loooong one. It was somewhere in the beginning and just after the Nando's stop, but most people were walking up there anyway. And I was not fit at all.

To change a chainring you don't need a mechanic. I can change mine with only taking the pedals off (allen key...I run wide flats so with SPD's one probably don't even have to remove the pedal) and then slide the chainrings over the crank (also allen key to loosen and fasten)- but your setup might be totally different....what are you running?

push of a climb...not in the beginning of day 2 but around the 70km mark

i run 2x10 28/42 and 11/36 and was able to ride everything..push of a climb on 28:36 which is a gain ration of 1.5.  so 1x11 with a 32T should be easier

push of a climb...not in the beginning of day 2 but around the 70km mark

i run 2x10 28/42 and 11/36 and was able to ride everything..push of a climb on 28:36 which is a gain ration of 1.5.  so 1x11 with a 32T should be easier

ya, that's the 2nd one I talked about... after 2 Nando's burgers I was pushing/pulling my tummy up there too  :blush:

Right lads...need to let my entry go - but WANT/NEED/MUST have it back for next year as part of the deal.

So it comes with all the accommodation booked and paid for, transport and if you in CT or surrounds plane tickets as well. Drop me a PM if you are keen.

I will also put an add up in the classifieds.

Hi hubbers. I recently changed to a 1X11 setup with a 34t. It has been great and worked just fine for the spruit, up Northcliff Hill, Modder, Northern Farm but on a training ride at Suikerbos yesterday I was fine up until the last big climb. My legs had no power left and I made it to the top in my worst strava time. My question now is, should I change to a 32t for Sani or take a 32t with and get mechanic to change for day 2 only. I'm not too worried about day 1 and 3 on a 34t. Day 2 scares me alot.

I used a 32 for all three day.  Was fun, apart from Push-of-a-Climb, didn't make it to the top, like previous years.

hey hubbers

besides the services on the site are there any hubbers with recommendations on coach services from airport and back ? 

Anyone used the airport shuttles before?

Seeing as you wont have a car there, what do you do with your bag after you've transferred everything to the black box?

I have also gone to 1x11 XT with a 34 in front. Been using it since Nov last year. Have ordered the 32 this weekend as find it just that bit too heavy for some of the bigger climbs we have at Holla trails. The 32 will help with that. My suggestion for Sani, is to go with the 32. You can always go back to the 34, but day 2 out of the valley can be a SOB.

Depends where you will be in the pack, I rode last year with a 34T, 1x10 and 11-42, with no problem but then there where so many people walking 'push of a climb' you could not ride anyway! This year I am riding 34T 1x11 but will not be up front and certainly 32T will be easier as I found very few places that you will spin out on Sani.

Anyone used the airport shuttles before?

Seeing as you wont have a car there, what do you do with your bag after you've transferred everything to the black box?

the airport shuttle works well, they collect you from king shaka and take you to the start. you can then pack your stuff over into the black boxes and unpack your bike. once done you load your bags and bike box onto a truck. this truck goes straight to the finish. when you finish on day 3 you collect your box and bags repack and hand in your empty black boxes in exchange for a finishers t-shirt. the shuttle then collects you and drops you back at the airport.

the airport shuttle works well, they collect you from king shaka and take you to the start. you can then pack your stuff over into the black boxes and unpack your bike. once done you load your bags and bike box onto a truck. this truck goes straight to the finish. when you finish on day 3 you collect your box and bags repack and hand in your empty black boxes in exchange for a finishers t-shirt. the shuttle then collects you and drops you back at the airport.

That's what I like to hear!

I have also gone to 1x11 XT with a 34 in front. Been using it since Nov last year. Have ordered the 32 this weekend as find it just that bit too heavy for some of the bigger climbs we have at Holla trails. The 32 will help with that. My suggestion for Sani, is to go with the 32. You can always go back to the 34, but day 2 out of the valley can be a SOB.

I also had a problem getting my gearing right so I don't break myself up the hills and I don't spin out on the flats.

I found an ingenuous solution: I fitted a crank with TWO  different sized chain-rings and a wonderful (top secret technology) device called a FRONT derailleur which allows me to switch between them. So I can go fast uphill spinning, and fast on the flats powering. Brilliant. :ph34r:  :ph34r:

Have a look to see if your LBS has heard of it, It really makes these gearing debates moot. :whistling:

I found an ingenuous solution: I fitted a crank with TWO  different sized chain-rings and a wonderful (top secret technology) device called a FRONT derailleur which allows me to switch between them. So I can go fast uphill spinning, and fast on the flats powering. Brilliant. :ph34r:  :ph34r:

Funny that - I have the very same ingenuous solution on the fatbike! And that top secret technology is not so top secret - I also have one of those front derailleur thingamabobbies!

Any idea if Sani2c 2016 courses will be available for the  Garmin Forerunner 310XT? If not what other devices are supported other than the Edge? Garmin Fenix?

Hi Guys,

Have a team entry to sell for the Sani2C 2016 for the adventure starting Wed the 11th May. Both Chris and I have to drop out sadly. If you email me on drdaveknight1@gmail.com I can provide the entry details and costs.

Dave

Edited by saturdayknight