Ethics in classifieds!?

JTK

I've run my own business where Ive made only a small margin of profit on my stuff.  Ive had people ruthlessly demand a discount where I've ended up basically giving stuff away.   It feels terrible to be selling something at a very fair price and then have to deal with someone telling you they want "your best price", when my best possible price was my first price.  :wacko:

See the trick is to either

1. Refuse Negotiations

or

2. Raise the advertising price a little to allow for possible negotiating.

In business I decline any attempted negotiations except when the client intends buying in bulk. I offer my best price upfront. But if you intend buying more than the average joe. I might try and see what I can do.

The classified's however, I consider informal trade, and by extension, open to negotiations. Everyone may not think this way and I have paid full asking price before despite trying to negotiate. But I still believe you have to try.

Ever gone shopping in the east? Negotiating is almost mandatory.

• Replies 694
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Quite simple. If you know the market and the condition of the item, price it to sell, and clearly state "not negotiable". When presented with ridiculous offers, ignore them.

No issues buying or selling here over last 5 years....
Now my house that is up for sale is another story....plenty of time wasters there!

See the trick is to either

1. Refuse Negotiations

or

2. Raise the advertising price a little to allow for possible negotiating.

In business I decline any attempted negotiations except when the client intends buying in bulk. I offer my best price upfront. But if you intend buying more than the average joe. I might try and see what I can do.

The classified's however, I consider informal trade, and by extension, open to negotiations. Everyone may not think this way and I have paid full asking price before despite trying to negotiate. But I still believe you have to try.

Ever gone shopping in the east? Negotiating is almost mandatory.

I've never shopped in the east.  If my past experiences at fleamarkets are anything to go by, it better I stay here :wacko:

My last negotiating effort was a disaster......Last week I wanted to buy a bra the only one in the size and colour I wanted.  Problem was it was a "twin pack" and the bras partner was missing.  I asked the manager if I could pay half price because obviously the other bra had gone AWOL.  The manager just said "NO" and then just walked away :wacko: Negotiating just doesn't work for me

Edited by blondeonabike

Here's an ethical dilemma.  You're selling a bike and a buyer who hasn't seen your bike says he will definitely take it (at a discounted price) and promises to pay you R1000 deposit with the balance once he picks it up.  You say that the deposit secures the bike and buyer commits that he WILL take it.  

Before buyer 1's deposit is in your account, buyer 2 comes along and offers you a better price.   Can you sell the bike to buyer 2?  

WHAT I WOULD DO: Call buyer 1 and tell him that buyer 2 has offered more.  Buyer 1 must match the price or buyer 2 gets the bike.  

In this scenario, my belief is only once the deposit has come through, it's a done deal and I wouldn't back out at that point even if a better deal comes along. 

It's all about communication.  As a seller, either don't agree to hold the item for someone on the basis of "dibs" or if you do agree then you must hold the item.  You were dumb enough to agree to dibs so stick to your word.  

But as far as I am concerned I won't accept dibs.  If you haven't paid and someone else comes along, your rights are zero.  

The decent thing is that if someone has given you a firm commitment to take an item, it's only right to inform the first guy that you have a 3rd party interested and it's first come, first served.  But that's it.  Don't come crying to me that you were waiting for your aunty to pay you blah blah.  I've had too many guys promise me this and that and then...nada.  

I've never shopped in the east.  If my past experiences at fleamarkets are anything to go by, it better I stay here :wacko:

My last negotiating effort was a disaster......Last week I wanted to buy a bra the only one in the size and colour I wanted.  Problem was it was a "twin pack" and the bras partner was missing.  I asked the manager if I could pay half price because obviously the other bra had gone AWOL.  The manager just said "NO" and then just walked away :wacko: Negotiating just doesn't work for me

I love this story  :drool:

Here's an ethical dilemma.  You're selling a bike and a buyer who hasn't seen your bike says he will definitely take it (at a discounted price) and promises to pay you R1000 deposit with the balance once he picks it up.  You say that the deposit secures the bike and buyer commits that he WILL take it.  

Before buyer 1's deposit is in your account, buyer 2 comes along and offers you a better price.   Can you sell the bike to buyer 2?  

WHAT I WOULD DO: Call buyer 1 and tell him that buyer 2 has offered more.  Buyer 1 must match the price or buyer 2 gets the bike.  

In this scenario, my belief is only once the deposit has come through, it's a done deal and I wouldn't back out at that point even if a better deal comes along. 

It's all about communication.  As a seller, either don't agree to hold the item for someone on the basis of "dibs" or if you do agree then you must hold the item.  You were dumb enough to agree to dibs so stick to your word.  

But as far as I am concerned I won't accept dibs.  If you haven't paid and someone else comes along, your rights are zero.  

The decent thing is that if someone has given you a firm commitment to take an item, it's only right to inform the first guy that you have a 3rd party interested and it's first come, first served.  But that's it.  Don't come crying to me that you were waiting for your aunty to pay you blah blah.  I've had too many guys promise me this and that and then...nada.  

No, If i advertised something for X (I am prepared to accept X for the item in its current condition) and i get a second person that whats it for Y, my answer would be simply. "Thanks for your offer but i have another interested party, however if that party does not respond by ABC date then I will call you and give you the option".

This is not e-b@y, if you want to see how much money you can get for an item list it on bid-or-buy.

Edit: Grammar / spelling

Edited by Bobbo_SA

No, If i advertised something for X (I am prepared to accept X for the item in its current condition) and i get a second person that whats it for Y, my answer would be simply. "Thanks for your offer but i have another interested party, however if that party does not respond by ABC date then I will call you and give you the option".

This is not e-b@y, if you want to see how much money you can get for an item list it on bid-or-buy.

Edit: Grammar / spelling

Just to be clear.  Say you were selling a bike for R10K.  Buyer 1 negotiates it to R8500 and promises to pay R1000 deposit to secure.  Before the R1000 has been paid, buyer 2 comes along and says he'll take it for R9500.  What now?  

To my mind, the crux is that the R1000 has not been paid over yet and so the deal has not yet been sealed.  As soon as the R1000 is paid over, that's it.  The deal is done.  My opinion but keen to see if others agree. 

I love this story :drool:

I was confused at first. Aren't they all twin pack? Do these require assembly of right and left sides before wearing? why would you want only one side? i must be behind with the modern advances or just highly insensitive. I understand now though. Theres 4 sides to this story and 2 of them are missing

I was confused at first. Aren't they all twin pack? Do these require assembly of right and left sides before wearing? why would you want only one side? i must be behind with the modern advances or just highly insensitive. I understand now though. Theres 4 sides to this story and 2 of them are missing

It is obvious you don't lurk in the underwear departments.  Escapee  is another story....

Edited by blondeonabike

Just to be clear. Say you were selling a bike for R10K. Buyer 1 negotiates it to R8500 and promises to pay R1000 deposit to secure. Before the R1000 has been paid, buyer 2 comes along and says he'll take it for R9500. What now?

To my mind, the crux is that the R1000 has not been paid over yet and so the deal has not yet been sealed. As soon as the R1000 is paid over, that's it. The deal is done. My opinion but keen to see if others agree.

Nope. As soon as you accepted the initial offer, despite the reduced purchase price and the other buyer offering you more, you have entered into a verbal contract of sale and as such you are being highly unethical by selling to buyer 2.

The correct way to do it would be to say to buyer 1 that he has until x time to transfer the deposit, and if the funds are not transferred by that time then the sale agreement is rendered bull and void. In the meantime you tell buyer 2 that you have a buyer at the moment but if the deposit has not reached you by x time then he can take it.

In this case you must hold the goods from the time you agree to the sale, and have received either proof of deposit or the actual funds. You must also take POP as intention and proof of transfer of funds and hold until you receive the rest of the funds. Buyer must not attempt to collect the goods until full and final payment has been made and has cleared into your account.

That's the ethical way.

Just to be clear.  Say you were selling a bike for R10K.  Buyer 1 negotiates it to R8500 and promises to pay R1000 deposit to secure.  Before the R1000 has been paid, buyer 2 comes along and says he'll take it for R9500.  What now?  

To my mind, the crux is that the R1000 has not been paid over yet and so the deal has not yet been sealed.  As soon as the R1000 is paid over, that's it.  The deal is done.  My opinion but keen to see if others agree. 

Unless the payment of the deposit is explicitly a suspensive condition, you have sold the bike to Buyer 1, whether he has paid or not.

If I was Buyer 1 i'd be knocking on your door handing you the R8 500 and demanding my bike. Tough luck to you if you had already handed it to Buyer 2 as best you find me another one.....

Nope. As soon as you accepted the initial offer, despite the reduced purchase price and the other buyer offering you more, you have entered into a verbal contract of sale and as such you are being highly unethical by selling to buyer 2.

The correct way to do it would be to say to buyer 1 that he has until x time to transfer the deposit, and if the funds are not transferred by that time then the sale agreement is rendered bull and void. In the meantime you tell buyer 2 that you have a buyer at the moment but if the deposit has not reached you by x time then he can take it.

In this case you must hold the goods from the time you agree to the sale, and have received either proof of deposit or the actual funds. You must also take POP as intention and proof of transfer of funds and hold until you receive the rest of the funds. Buyer must not attempt to collect the goods until full and final payment has been made and has cleared into your account.

That's the ethical way.

In my mind at least that's how i try to do things, on thehub and in business, if I've accepted a lower price for something its a different story than not hearing from buyer #1 at all, accepting it means there has been some form of communication and commitment from my side.

Only if Buyer #1 gives me the run around and drops the ball will I revert to buyer #2, and then I will give him the same deal as #1.

After having sold and bought many items on thehub without a single problem. I am quite bleak at how ethics have dipped. Iv been trying to sell a bike and yes is slightly pricey but it is honestly basically brand new and I am still negotiable. I'm also completely willing for any buyer to come a view said bike no problem, even willing to come out closer to wherever they are. It is due to the ethics of a few "buyers" and more recently my own lack of enthusiasm that I still sit with said bike and my advert looking like a dud as it's been around too long. Had I been slightly unethical and sold it to number 2 in the queue it would probably be gone but I tried to do the honourble thing. Yet I'm still sat with the bike.

I have generally had decent dealings on the hub. But the "what's your best price" comment really irks me. The price I advertised is my best price, so asking me as if you expect me to say "oh , for you, half of that" is annoying at best. Generally ignore those. Everything in life is negotiable, however if you wish to negotiate , make contact, show intention and let's talk.

Brickleberry, more than fair. But a lot of sellers put a high price on items purely to allow for negotiations. So if you're asked for "best price" then maybe you should give it a gap.