ScottCM

43 minutes ago, shaper said:

8:45-8:50 hr. It's a long day and anything can happen on an ultra, especially if the nutrition goes wrong... but that is the goal and what the training is aiming for

nutrition, nutrition, nutrition...
Someone once said 100 milers are eating competitions that are disguised as runs. More and more I am believing that...

• Replies 17.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

45 minutes ago, shaper said:

8:45-8:50 hr. It's a long day and anything can happen on an ultra, especially if the nutrition goes wrong... but that is the goal and what the training is aiming for

I did Comrades 5 times long ago and went for Bill Rowan 3 of those 5 times but unfortunately never made it due to bad cramps in the last 20km.

My projections indicated it should be no problem (41min for 10km, 92min for 21km, and 3:27 for 42km).  I'm just one of those people that sweat to much and its very difficult to replace enough Na and other electrolytes and hence the cramps.

I recently discovered 32Gi Cramp Assault, where was these suckers when I was still running, work 200% for me to combat the cramps with long rides on the MTB.

On 5/4/2023 at 2:15 PM, shaper said:

Training on the spot for a sub 9 Comrades after a good sub 5 Two Oceans.  3 more weeks of 100km+ running then looking forward to tapering to race day.  With distance only being 87.701km official this year, a good possibility if all goes well on the day.....

I managed to hit that sub 5 reasonably easy this year as well so am thinking the same. Doing the False Bay this weekend as my last long training run, will be using it to check out the race pace and nutrition. Although by now it should really be dialled in. 

2 hours ago, Ronniek said:

I managed to hit that sub 5 reasonably easy this year as well so am thinking the same. Doing the False Bay this weekend as my last long training run, will be using it to check out the race pace and nutrition. Although by now it should really be dialled in. 

Also doing comrades. I did a 4h41 for Oceans, felt pretty good for it.  Not sure what the sensible 'step down' pace to try do for Comrades is though. Any advice from the experienced guys ?

So the bug has bitten, started out as training for triathlons & completed my first Safari Half Marathon on Monday, smashed a 90min 21kms. I've done a couple of 2 Oceans half's about 10 years ago as boxes to tick. Now I find myself looking at carbon plated running shoes and eyeing a 1:20 as a future goal for a Half. Then move on to the Ultra Marathon next year and hopefully Comrades by 2025. 

I'm sure a few of us have picked up on the Comrades scandal already but, sheesh, it's a mess. What really, really bugs me about it is that runners like Lizzy Babili and Kate Rees missed out on gold medals because of the suspected doping. And, if the alleged dopers are who we suspect they are, then that would have elevated Dominika Stelmach to the win and Adele to 2nd spot.

That's a difference of a few R100,000 for Dominika and roughly R75,000 for Adele (can't quite recall what last year's prize money was).

http://runningmann.co.za/2023/05/04/comrades-over-comrades-doping-facts-and-rumours-from-comrades-2022/

On 5/5/2023 at 9:11 AM, TheoG said:

I did Comrades 5 times long ago and went for Bill Rowan 3 of those 5 times but unfortunately never made it due to bad cramps in the last 20km.

My projections indicated it should be no problem (41min for 10km, 92min for 21km, and 3:27 for 42km).  I'm just one of those people that sweat to much and its very difficult to replace enough Na and other electrolytes and hence the cramps.

I recently discovered 32Gi Cramp Assault, where was these suckers when I was still running, work 200% for me to combat the cramps with long rides on the MTB.

Cramps are often your bodies way of telling you to slow down, in other words you (not you directly, athletes in general) are exercising above their capabilities and level of preparation.

IMO Nutrition plays a lessor role wrt cramps, provided you eat and drink sensibly (normal commercial energy drinks have it all). 

Timing your race efforts is vital

55 minutes ago, SwissVan said:

Cramps are often your bodies way of telling you to slow down, in other words you (not you directly, athletes in general) are exercising above their capabilities and level of preparation.

IMO Nutrition plays a lessor role wrt cramps, provided you eat and drink sensibly (normal commercial energy drinks have it all). 

Timing your race efforts is vital

Agree, however, in my case specifically I still think it can be linked to loosing to much NaCl during exercise.  I do like to push myself harder than most, but after almost all my sessions your can literally wipe the salt of me.  My gloves, headband, helmet liners, shirt, bib etc always show plenty salt lines as it dry down.

For me, it must be a combination of pushing too hard and sweating like a pig .... 🤪

PS:  During my Comrades years my training was always "perfect" according to the experts and yet I still got cramps towards the end.

Edited by TheoG

4 hours ago, TheoG said:

Agree, however, in my case specifically I still think it can be linked to loosing to much NaCl during exercise.  I do like to push myself harder than most, but after almost all my sessions your can literally wipe the salt of me.  My gloves, headband, helmet liners, shirt, bib etc always show plenty salt lines as it dry down.

For me, it must be a combination of pushing too hard and sweating like a pig .... 🤪

PS:  During my Comrades years my training was always "perfect" according to the experts and yet I still got cramps towards the end.

I'm also a VERY sweaty person.

Like excessively so even for sweaty people. I only used to cramp when I had poor pre race days OR pushed the speed a bit too far.

One year I was cruising to a very comfy sub3 at Peninsula, possibly 9 minutes faster than I had 'trained' for. HR was perfect, fluid intake was perfect.... Both hamstrings popped on the riser coming out of Glencairn. 

Floored me for almost 15 minutes.

I've run far, like 400km in one go far without cramps, but speed is the killer. 

I've run a 100 miler on the weekend at reasonable clicks without being stiff on Monday and 3 weeks later cramped doing speed work 400m trackwork.

I put cramps down to the body asking you to stop running/moving above threshold for longer/harder than you've prepared for

To add to my comment above, by 'poor pre race day' I mean not staying on top of my hydration/food intake in the few days before OR heading out for a couple of beers for 'carbo loading' or both.

Sometimes it's easy to lose a bit of focus in the build up to a race if you have to travel to get there, stay in a place with no kitchen and then go out pre race to eat.

I guess a combination of all of the above and race day 'gees' leads to one heading out for a PB without having trained or prepared properly for a PB.

But ja, cramps suck and I hope you figure it out. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/23/2023 at 1:43 PM, ScottCM said:

Last weekend I volunteered at Ultra Trail Snowdonia. These photos were taken of me at 3am at the top of Moel Siabod peak.

IMG-20230522-WA0002.jpg

IMG-20230522-WA0001.jpg

Saw Mark from GTN also took part and said it was one of the most brutal events he has ever taken part in. Hats off for volunteering.

15 minutes ago, IceCreamMan said:

Any of the oirish hub doing the Cork marathon next Sunday? 

I was considering doing it, but I'm still not in shape to do a marathon. And €72 for a half-marathon feels a bit steep to me. I likely go and support the runners somewhere along the route though.

22 minutes ago, CobusV said:

I was considering doing it, but I'm still not in shape to do a marathon. And €72 for a half-marathon feels a bit steep to me. I likely go and support the runners somewhere along the route though.

My wife and I entered the marathon a year ago for 64 euro each. Early bird rates. 

doing it with my wife and a friend of ours who lives in cork. She wants to do it before her 50th. Nice chilled run for us. No PBs in sight.