ScottCM

• Replies 17.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Cape Town Marathon this past weekend! What a fantastic event, I almost forgot how much I missed mass events. The weather was superb for running and despite the cold and rainy conditions a surprisingly large number of supporters came out to add to the festivities! I actually really enjoyed the start procedure - it was nice having the batched starts as the field spread out very quickly and I didn't have to fight my way through crowds for 500m as I did in 2019. Also the mat to mat timing was a blessing as without it I would not have gone under 3:30.

CT Marathon put on a good show, the number collection and covid testing was surprisingly efficient, although I heard there were some teething issues on the Friday. The expo was a bit dismal but I don't care much for expos anyways as I entered to run not to go shopping. The goodie bag was actually quite lekker and useful, it wasn't filled with a million items of cr*p from various sponsors - it contained a shirt which was far too small????, a water bottle, a bit of sun cream and a couple woolies snacks.

I am already itching for next years event! 

Edited by GrantMcD1

6 minutes ago, GrantMcD1 said:

Cape Town Marathon this past weekend! What a fantastic event, I almost forgot how much I missed mass events. The weather was superb for running and despite the cold and rainy conditions a surprisingly large number of supporters came out to add to the festivities! I actually really enjoyed the start procedure - it was nice having the batched starts as the field spread out very quickly and I didn't have to fight my way through crowds for 500m as I did in 2019. Also the mat to mat timing was a bless as without it I would not have gone under 3:30.

CT Marathon put on a good show, the number collection and covid testing was surprisingly efficient, although I heard there were some teething issues on the Friday. The expo was a bit dismal but I don't care much for expos anyways as I entered to run not to go shopping. The goodie bag was actually quite lekker and useful, it wasn't filled with a million items of cr*p from various sponsors - it contained a shirt which was far too small????, a water bottle, a bit of sun cream and a couple woolies snacks.

Good to hear positive vibes from the Cape Town Marathon. Hopefully this matt-to-matt timing will spill over to other events and we don't have this mad push to be in front at the start line of events.

1 hour ago, GrantMcD1 said:

Cape Town Marathon this past weekend! What a fantastic event, I almost forgot how much I missed mass events. The weather was superb for running and despite the cold and rainy conditions a surprisingly large number of supporters came out to add to the festivities! I actually really enjoyed the start procedure - it was nice having the batched starts as the field spread out very quickly and I didn't have to fight my way through crowds for 500m as I did in 2019. Also the mat to mat timing was a blessing as without it I would not have gone under 3:30.

I also raced and found the whole weekend cold!!  Personally would have preferred a bit more sun on race day and the showers made sure everything stayed wet.  Am not a fan of running with wet feet.  Slight changes to the route from 2019 were good although the last 5kms along the beech front seemed to take forever, especially to the turnaround.  Was great to see the crowds out considering the rain, it was very much appreciated.  Still managed a PB of sub 3:15 which is what I trained and aimed for, so was a good race and good to be racing again!!

2 hours ago, GrantMcD1 said:

It was awesome to watch, made me so emotional!! 
It is on my bucket list for next year. 

57 minutes ago, Hacc said:

It was awesome to watch, made me so emotional!! 
It is on my bucket list for next year. 

Do it, it is an easy course, especially when training in Gauteng and running at sea level ????

4 hours ago, GrantMcD1 said:

Well done, I can only dream of getting to those times again.  My best ever is 3:27 in the Postnet Pietermaritzburg marathon many years ago.  My goal now is just to be able to do a half marathon @ 5min/km.  Age/injuries is a b**** !

59 minutes ago, TheoG said:

Well done, I can only dream of getting to those times again.  My best ever is 3:27 in the Postnet Pietermaritzburg marathon many years ago.  My goal now is just to be able to do a half marathon @ 5min/km.  Age/injuries is a b**** !

Age is just a number for me and yes you do slow down as you get older and need to train smarter. I am 56 and have just run a sub 3:15, am looking to beat that in the years to come!!

@HaccEntries are open for CT2022 #justsaying ☺️ https://capetownmarathon.howler.co.za/events/sanlam-cape-town-marathon-2022-5195?fbclid=IwAR2R-S9qZrfaF0POu3OUBsxa4rL_tHNcbFd8PnX81raZXGnyQXi5HglqDyc

23 minutes ago, shaper said:

Age is just a number for me and yes you do slow down as you get older and need to train smarter. I am 56 and have just run a sub 3:15, am looking to beat that in the years to come!!

@HaccEntries are open for CT2022 #justsaying ☺️ https://capetownmarathon.howler.co.za/events/sanlam-cape-town-marathon-2022-5195?fbclid=IwAR2R-S9qZrfaF0POu3OUBsxa4rL_tHNcbFd8PnX81raZXGnyQXi5HglqDyc

Awesome, thank you!! I didn't know it is open, and I seriously need some motivation to start training.

36 minutes ago, shaper said:

So true.  3:15 at 56 years is fn good going!!!, I'm 55, maybe I can also get there again .... :) Must just take it slow though, still recovering from a broken ankle, it will still be a while before I can run again, walking as much as I can and dropping weight before putting running stress on it.

47 minutes ago, shaper said:

There are several members on here that are into their 40's and still regularly (as races allow) running around 2:40's. Considering running wasn't really their primary sport it it shows what is possible. The 100th placed 40-49 at CTM was Sub 3. There were 15 sub 3's in the 50-59 as well. No reason that really good times are not achievable deep into your 50's

20 minutes ago, TheoG said:

So true.  3:15 at 56 years is fn good going!!!, I'm 55, maybe I can also get there again .... :) Must just take it slow though, still recovering from a broken ankle, it will still be a while before I can run again, walking as much as I can and dropping weight before putting running stress on it.

Recent London Marathon at 62yo Tommy Hughes ran a 2:30 https://results.london-marathon.co.uk/2021/?pid=search&pidp=start.  Whilst he is a running machine, you can google his resume, he has records for many distances https://www.runnersworld.com/runners-stories/a34062899/tommy-hughes-overcame-alcoholism-over-60-half-marathon-world-record/, there were still 10 sub 3hrs in a reduced field in this age bracket and you are not even close to your 60's and beyond....

Edited by shaper

4 minutes ago, shaper said:

Recent London Marathon at 62yo Tommy Hughes ran a 2:30 https://results.london-marathon.co.uk/2021/?pid=search&pidp=start.  Whilst he is a running machine, you can google his resume, he has records for many distances https://www.runnersworld.com/runners-stories/a34062899/tommy-hughes-overcame-alcoholism-over-60-half-marathon-world-record/, there were still 10 sub 3hrs in a reduced field in this age bracket and you are not even close to your 60's and beyond....

He has run away from me in my two marathons this year. In London he ran past me twice, I don't know how that happened, no need to google him. He is an Olympian after all. 

15 minutes ago, shaper said:

All I can say is BLIKSEM !!!  That's fast for anyone, let alone at 62.