ScottCM

23 minutes ago, TheoG said:

All I can say is BLIKSEM !!!  That's fast for anyone, let alone at 62.

He is a tough nut for sure

• Replies 17.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

What’s happening runners, gone very quite this thread has

The great Diaspora Discord?

Anyone got a review or experience running in “On” running shoes that they can share?

https://www.on-running.com/en-ch/

I'm not convinced, but seem to see a lot of them here  ???????? 

Ive just changed back to ASICS Gel Kayano 28’s, my feet are liking them for their great cushioning!

I must admit with all the "upgrades" and changed to the Bikehub coupled with the removal of certain threads, discord is way more frequent in my browser than bikehub nowadays. However, I do miss our daily, sometimes hourly updates from this thread. 

11 minutes ago, SwissVan said:

Anyone got a review or experience running in “On” running shoes that they can share?

Ive just changed back to ASICS Gel Kayano 28’s, my feet are liking them for their great cushioning!

Those "On" sell well in Cpt - great shoes for doing marathons in the V&A. But that's just my cynical observation.

27 minutes ago, SwissVan said:

Almost as quiet as Comrades and Oceans have been about dates for '22.

Not used the On's so can't comment. on them. If you are looking for a mileage cushioned shoe it is hard to get better than the NB 1080's, they really are superb.

25 minutes ago, SwissVan said:

Had a pair of the CloudFlow a few years ago when lots of pro triathletes seemed to use them.  Hated them!! Felt like had numerous pressure points under the soles of my feet with all the individual bumps that make up the sole.  Also the crevices between the bumps collected stones often when running on the road and I was forever stopping to flick out the stones that got jammed in there..... they now at the back of a cupboard and don't even use them for just ordinary day to day wear.

I have a pair of On Clouds Cloudflow (bought them at the 94.7 expo in 2019 for R1700, retail now is around R3k).
My 2c's:

They are super light and comfortable (it feels like you are walking on clouds...????). I enjoy even wearing them as a casual shoe.
I like their color range as well (Not sure if this is important to men )

My biggest complaint: They are much narrower than Asics (my Asics is a size 5 and On-Clouds a size 5.5....) They give me blisters (even on shorter runs). I guess you might have to go one size bigger with On Clouds than other brands. 

Also something that frustrates me terribly is that small stones get stuck in the cushioning quite easily.... My friend ran with her pair yesterday and we had to stop three times (on a 10k road run) for her to remove the stones

I have no idea the mileage that you will get with them, I think I haven't done 300km yet. 

Nicky Booyens uses the ON range, so IMHO if she can make them work, they should be good enough for most.

I'm still in love with the latest offerings from ASICS. A switch in brand has given me a new lease on life. Longevity of the midsole and outer sole has been brilliant. Upper has taken a bit of a beating though.

Had a small injury lay off the last few weeks with a calf muscle tear, but should be back in the proverbial saddle soon. 

30 minutes ago, ScottC-M said:

I must admit with all the "upgrades" and changed to the Bikehub coupled with the removal of certain threads, discord is way more frequent in my browser than bikehub nowadays. However, I do miss our daily, sometimes hourly updates from this thread. 

I agree ScottC-M, I have learned so much about running on this thread. There are so many different "shapes and sizes" of runners (road and trail) with different views and levels of expertise on this thread.  I do miss all the excitement and comments around races as well. 

I had Covid mid-June this year, took 3 months off after Covid (as told by my GP friend not to run) and since then I have been seriously struggling to get into my running routine. It still feels like an elephant is sitting on my chest when running. Not sure if I am just seriously unfit or if my recovery after Covid is just taking forever. I am taking it easy at the moment (running max 10km) but I do miss training for a specific event (I had serious FOMO about KH the past weekend). It sounds like Johnson Crane is happening end of Jan 22, I am aiming to get 21km fit.

Let's hope and pray that 2022 will be a different running year for us all.  

22 hours ago, shaper said:

Had a pair of the CloudFlow a few years ago when lots of pro triathletes seemed to use them.  Hated them!! Felt like had numerous pressure points under the soles of my feet with all the individual bumps that make up the sole.  Also the crevices between the bumps collected stones often when running on the road and I was forever stopping to flick out the stones that got jammed in there..... they now at the back of a cupboard and don't even use them for just ordinary day to day wear.

Maybe they could be called One time instead of On....

i saw an article on them in Switzerland which mentioned there has been a noticeable increase in running injuries due to people running in On shoes, specifically the “fashion shoe type” that look like running shoes but are not actually meant for running.

When you look at all the other well known running shoe brands, the On philosophy is all on its own, imo for good reason.....BS

Lol just love the interweb...... now I see a Facebook post from Gary Player thanking everyone for his 86 birthday wishes and then he gets on his treadmill to run wearing On shoes

On 11/8/2021 at 4:24 PM, Hacc said:

It still feels like an elephant is sitting on my chest when running.

I had this for more than a year post covid and it's still not where it used to be.

55 minutes ago, Jackes said:

I had this for more than a year post covid and it's still not where it used to be.

Thank you for the post, I thought it was just me that is struggling. Some of my friends are almost back to their normal pace and distance after COVID.

Question for all you Joburg based runners. 

Next year I’m moving to Joburg from Cape Town and I’m looking to join a running club which does group runs during the week and has a nice social aspect as I’ve come to enjoy with my Cape Town club.

So what club would you guys recommend - I will be staying in Johannesburg South but working in Sandton so I suppose I’m flexible on location.

I have already contacted Alberton Athletic club already but they don’t seem to do club runs - only time trials during the week. 

11 hours ago, GrantMcD1 said:

Question for all you Joburg based runners. 

Next year I’m moving to Joburg from Cape Town and I’m looking to join a running club which does group runs during the week and has a nice social aspect as I’ve come to enjoy with my Cape Town club.

So what club would you guys recommend - I will be staying in Johannesburg South but working in Sandton so I suppose I’m flexible on location.

I have already contacted Alberton Athletic club already but they don’t seem to do club runs - only time trials during the week. 

Close to Sandton

http://piratesclub.co.za/running/

https://www.oldeds.co.za/athletics/

https://www.randathleticclub.co.za/

Edited by shaper