ScottCM

3 hours ago, ScottCM said:

With spring in the air for most of the people on here, how is everyone doing? What events do you have lined up, thinking about for the year ahead?

training for sanlam cpt marathon has been going too well it seems and now I have pinched a nerve in the hip that just won't let up. Missed a total of 102km now with just 602km done June till date. I think I can manage another 180km before D day and hopefully be fine. At least I finaly have my nutrition issues sorted. But I miss my mtb so so much and with the bliss of cold weather gone keeping this running regime going in our lovely summer heat will be my biggest test yet

• Replies 17.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

5 hours ago, ChrisF said:

Enjoyed a series or Park runs (walks) dring winter. Progressed from 5 to 15km.

Doing another on 24 September, part of their series on public holidays.

Though the emphasis now is to get bike fit for Winelands on 12 October.

Then to find a balance between these two mistresses ....

Working on getting my walking pace down to 8:30/minute, currently at 8:45 for a 5km.  The 15km was done at 9:49/km (given the rain and slippery terrain this was actually not too bad) .... too slow to finish a half marathon before cut off time .... 

Plan going forward .... keep doing the TrailFun park run series.  And keep working at my pace sessions around the dam .....

Chris, how are your knees holding up to walking? I hope it’s painless?

6 hours ago, ScottCM said:

With spring in the air for most of the people on here, how is everyone doing? What events do you have lined up, thinking about for the year ahead?

Blouklip trail run (21) for 9nov, and George MUT (45) end May again. 
I pulled a calf muscle and have been riding instead of running for two weeks. I have to be honest, mountainbiking is still my first outdoor love. 

35 minutes ago, PhilipV said:

Chris, how are your knees holding up to walking? I hope it’s painless?

Musical chairs .... :P

My biokineticist introduced the park walking to my overall program to get the balance sorted between the different muscle groups .... makes sense, but also means the one group of muscles after the other are activated.  Truly musical chairs as the pain points dance around .....

BUT, looking past the short term pain, it is amazing to experience the benefits as the various supporting muscles start doing their work.

That horrible pain "inside" the knee is kept at bay.  I get to be active .... what more can one ask for ?

The only pain while walking alternates between shins, calves, quads, hammies and glutes .... interesting to see how these points move about during the event, and how it changes as my gym works kicks in .... progress is slow and steady !!

And being able to walk faster than the slow runners ..... hiehie ....

Edited by ChrisF

3 hours ago, Vallende Vaandel said:

training for sanlam cpt marathon has been going too well it seems and now I have pinched a nerve in the hip that just won't let up. Missed a total of 102km now with just 602km done June till date. I think I can manage another 180km before D day and hopefully be fine. At least I finaly have my nutrition issues sorted. But I miss my mtb so so much and with the bliss of cold weather gone keeping this running regime going in our lovely summer heat will be my biggest test yet

Hope you get your program back on track.

My friend is also training for this event, and had a brief scare with back issues ....