ScottCM

I have been hammering out the kms in the cold and dark since the pneumonia bout.

4 weeks till Itera and looking forward to the taper, I am looking forward to the days where I can wake up not sore tired and stiff.

You think it is hard to run and ride in the cold, come do a canoe time trial in the dark on a Thursday night...

Still struggling with the top end speed but the grinding endurance fitness is all good. Have actually bulked up a fair amount the last few weeks, same BF % on the calipers but snuck an extra 5kg in there somewhere.

• Replies 17.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I am also on week 2 of my Asics training programme.

It is very tough and I am still getting into it.

The nausea is now manageable with the Nexium I am using.

This is the first time I am training according to a programme and I am really enjoying it. It is much more structured and completely out of my comfort zone. I can feel a difference already.

Feeling very motivated at the moment to keep going. 108 days to Kaapse Hoop...

Did you convert the distances to miles? I'm way too OCD for that... Last night's session for me was 3 repeats of 2mi... It would do my head in having to do a non round number repeats of 3.2km [emoji38]

I've been lurking on this thread for some time, but always considered myself more of a cyclist. Just joined the Strava Club (on there as Org Langenhoven) as I need to start focusing more on the running. I want to do do Ironman next year - starting with the half in January and the full one in PE at the end of March.

I won't threaten the top of any leader boards, but it will be a really good motivational tool to see how I measure up!

Is it normal to still struggle after Comrades? My longest run the last month was only 9km, and I felt like dying. Im also stiff and sore even after a 5k trot.

Training hard all through winter as is per my usual, beat my time of last year at the recent Jock Classic cycle race and my aim for a sub 3:30 at CT marathon in Sept also going very well. 20 seconds off my critical pace to date 8 weeks in to program and doing lots of speed work and tempo runs that are getting more comfortable by the day.

So winter training going well :)

Did you convert the distances to miles? I'm way too OCD for that... Last night's session for me was 3 repeats of 2mi... It would do my head in having to do a non round number repeats of 3.2km [emoji38]

I converted the programme to kilometers. (It took some time to convert the PDF to excel and then pretty much recalculating each day. I have only done the first month, will do the rest as I go along)

It feels strange to warm up for 1.6 km / 1 mile. I round it up to 2 km. 

PS. I am happy to share the sub 4 programme (1st month)  in kilometers if anyone is interested.

Edit: My general rule is to round up to the nearest kilometer. 

Edited by Hacc

Training hard all through winter as is per my usual, beat my time of last year at the recent Jock Classic cycle race and my aim for a sub 3:30 at CT marathon in Sept also going very well. 20 seconds off my critical pace to date 8 weeks in to program and doing lots of speed work and tempo runs that are getting more comfortable by the day.

giphy.gif

Maybe have a look at Frostys plan up to his first 21km... was pretty rock solid and if you follow it through it should put you in a position to definitely hit sub 2:20

Thanks very much. Link to said plan?

I am aiming for a sub 3:30 at the Cape Town Marathon as well. With all the speed work I’ve been doing though I can’t help but wonder if I shouldn’t try for a sub 3:20? The rational part of my brain says don’t attempt it and blow my chance at a sub 3:30 though.

I converted the programme to kilometers. (It took some time to convert the PDF to excel and then pretty much recalculating each day. I have only done the first month, will do the rest as I go along)

It feels strange to warm up for 1.6 km / 1 mile. I round it up to 2 km.

PS. I am happy to share the sub 4 programme (1st month) in kilometers if anyone is interested.

Edit: My general rule is to round up to the nearest kilometer.

Cool..I meant to say convert to km. I'm so entrenched in miles now I even say it when I don't mean it [emoji38]

Sorry for late reply..

I have a TomTom Runner 3 for sale..R800.  In excellent condition.

If anyone has a GPS running watch you are not using that you'd consider selling please give me a shout. Even if you have an old stopwatch that you no longer use that would also work. I am on the look out for one or two watches for some runners who are unable to buy their own.

At this stage I'm just returning from a repeat calve niggle I picked up slipping in the mountain a while ago. Also got back on the bike a bit for some cross-training, the body is starting to feel the effects of just running. 

So starting to feel like it's coming back to business, but at this stage just enjoying the darkness! (Though I'm not even going to set an alarm for tomorrow morning with what has been predicted weather-wise for us!)

On a personal note, as some of you might know, Last year July I got multiple stress fractures in my left shin. I'm please to say that on Saturday i had my longest training run 11.2km since. Besides the marathon part of IMSA in April this has been my longest run in over a year. Even though the leg is still sensitive from time to time it feels amazing to be running again. So to those out there that are battling with injuries and feel despondent, I know how you are feeling. I saw a phrase that I constantly had to say to myself over the past year and that was "THIS TOO SHALL PASS!" Don't give up hope just yet, talk to us and lets get you through the rough times. 

Weird how things work out sometimes. Last year I decided to take a break from triathlon in 2019 and make Comrades 2019 my main goal and I started training hard. Second week in January I stepped into a pot hole while running. Ligament damage. 8 weeks without running, so the end of my Comrades goal. I obviously was very negative about this. I decided I would enter for 70.3 Durban. Did lots of cycling, swimming, strength work while not being able to run. And then got running going when ankle healed. Body felt in great shape by 70.3 Durban time. Did the race and qualified for 70.3 Worlds in Nice in September. So as you said don't let injuries get you down

Edited by ADe

So how is everyone's winter training coming along?

I see our strava club has grown to 97 peeps, well done all  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:

For those silent member who don't like to post but do read this thread, here is the link if you haven't joined as yet

https://www.strava.com/clubs/bikehubsa

My training has reached week 11 after a long break. It is a similar build up to what I did to prep for Oceans '18. I will be joining those running at the CT marathon in September. Seems like Shaper and Ronniek have the same goal time in mind, so I hope to feed off your guys' experience. The best part of the training is that the ITBs are happy, but I'm still struggling to shake the odd blister. Less than 2 months 2 go, so I hope that it will only get better.