ScottCM

• Replies 17.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey runners...

looking for recommendations on a neutral shoe for short distances, not more than 10km.

Used to run a bit a few years ago and been using Cumulus 17. The sole is starting to fall apart now and its time for something new.

Will be buying through Discovery shoe booster from Sportsmans so I can save some $$$.

But with soo many options out there I really dont know what to get.

Read a few reviews and the Brooks Glycerin 18 and New Balance 1080 V10 seem to be go to shoes.

Read a few reviews and the Brooks Glycerin 18 and New Balance 1080 V10 seem to be go to shoes.

Brooks Ghost above Glycerin for me, everything from 5k to Comrades.  I'm on my 6'th pair, 4th generation.

Edited by Jackes

would recommend the brooks ghost all day. I have had the last 4 models are they are by far the most comfortable shoes i have run in. I went against my better judgement and bought the new balance 1080 v10 and regretted every moment. Don`t get me wrong the new balance is a great shoe and gets very good reviews, but i did not feel comfortable in them.     

Brooks Ghost above Glycerin for me, everything from 5k to Comrades. I'm on my 6'th pair, 4th generation.

The ghosts I had were lovely. I have tried the ravannas now for about 100miles and they are a lovely shoe. Light and comfortable. Perfect for up 21km. Now I have bought the adrenalines for longer distances

Ja that's taking the title literally, not bothering to read anything and proclaiming infinite wisdom.

Anyways, back to the shoes... just claiming one shoe will work or not is like saying I ride a saddle and it will work for you. Depends on your feet, your running style, your likes and dislikes in shoes. Lots of things... Case in point - I simply could not run in Ghosts. For me the ultimate short distance shoes are Kinvara and/or Freedom from Saucony. (esp the latter...) Also like the Fuelcell Impulse from NB.

But why do you consider moving away from the one you have? Just get the newer model if it worked well.

Edited by SeaBee

But why do you consider moving away from the one you have? Just get the newer model if it worked well.

From browing the interwebs... seems like Asics has fallen behind. I dont know, dont follow all of this too much. So with everything advancing, there's alot more options now. Oh and it seems like Sportsmans only keep the crappy colours of the new Cumulus.

From browing the interwebs... seems like Asics has fallen behind. I dont know, dont follow all of this too much. So with everything advancing, there's alot more options now. Oh and it seems like Sportsmans only keep the crappy colours of the new Cumulus.

I've been trying to move away from Asics for ages. I went to Brookes ghost and had a terrible experience with them for distances over 15km...BUT.. They were brilliant. I decided now during this quite period to give Brookes a go again, but went for the lighter ravannas and have been very happy with them. I've run up to a 14 mile run with them and they've been great. Based on that I have now ordered the adrenalines which should be better for longer distances.

My gripe with Asics and the model I run with (gt2000) is they have not progressed at all in the 6 years or so I've been running with them. They have this hard plastic underneath them as their support structure and they are heavy. The Brookes adopt a more modern side rail support that are less intrusive for very slight pronators like myself

Edited by Stretch

I've been trying to move away from Asics for ages. 

After approx 20 pairs of running with the GT 1000 series I have became a bit disillusioned with Asics. 

For me the 1000-8 was a disaster due to Asics changing / removing some shock absorption tech from the shoe or something.  The 1000-9 uppers are quite thin and I already have holes in the uppers with not even 400 km on. 

(I did contact Asics SA about it.  They took a pair in but never came back to me, so I guess it is time for a brand switch.)

So where to next - Pegasus 37?

After approx 20 pairs of running with the GT 1000 series I have became a bit disillusioned with Asics. 

For me the 1000-8 was a disaster due to Asics changing / removing some shock absorption tech from the shoe or something.  The 1000-9 uppers are quite thin and I already have holes in the uppers with not even 400 km on. 

(I did contact Asics SA about it.  They took a pair in but never came back to me, so I guess it is time for a brand switch.)

I thought it was just me.

They run fantastically, but the hole in my upper appeared out of nowhere, before 300km. Was wondering whether it was worth it to contact them about it. I won't bother then.

Two previous iterations of Brooks Ghost served me well, will go back to them.

If you're looking a for a stability shoe that offer the same weight and responsiveness as a neutral shoe, have a look at the HOKA Arahi 4. 

Well worth the exercise to fit one and experience the difference! 

Feedback always welcome :) 

Some people should listen to me and head over.....    Stretch has sampled the support ones for you...    :P  :D

Even still some specials running on the previous ones.  

https://brooksrunning-sa.co.za/product-category/men/support-shoes-men/

https://www.poobienaidoos.co.za/?s=brooks&post_type=product

Edited by Jackes