Puffy encounter

gerhardsnorbaard

Came across one of these beasts whilst hiking in the Waterberg with the family two years ago. It reared up about 1.5m off the ground and stared at my dog.

Luckily our dopey city slicker Boerboel had no clue what was going on and when we slowly backed off, the snaket went down and slithered away in the bush. Reckon it was ~2.5m.

Was a tad more alert on hikes thereafter

Last year on the same farm, I bunny hopped over what I thought was  a branch on the trail. Whilst flying over it, it moved and that’s when I realised it was a puffy.

As Dale said, Africa is not for sissies

• Replies 706
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Leaving for Tzaneen today, after seeing this posted yesterday, I'm a bit worried about my plans to do some mountain biking there.

What should one do if coming across this on the trail?

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2016-12-23 at 9.11.15 AM.png

Look closely, that snake opened the window to go outside for a bit... :eek:  VARKSTEAKES that Black Mamba is HUGE.

If that things strikes you out on the trails your good as gone. 

I just had an encounter this morning with a black mamba at giba up the blue route to the quarry. I had to throw bike forward at him and run. very very aggressive. I need new Bib shorts now.

Edited by shaune

According to one of the comments on that post, it is a captive snake (doesn't look very captive to me, but ok) of some guy in Lydenburg.

Yip... Not sure what the story is.. Because it's illegal and bloody stupid... But... The noemzaans on that thread seem to know the situation.

Still one of the most informative Facebook groups i'm subscribed too.

A snake removal chap in Namibia was bitten by a black mamba the other day and followed his bite procedure immediately and is now enjoying a VERY happy Christmas

Edited by Stretch

Jislaaik. Lots of warning signs about the cobras at contermans.

Would love to know stats in mtbikers bitten in sa.

I just had an encounter this morning with a black mamba at giba up the blue route to the quarry. I had to throw bike forward at him and run. very very aggressive. I need new Bib shorts now.

Have never read of any incidents hey

I'm sure the Hub universe will publicize such an event snake ????

Yes ... this is how i reassure myself. Although I did squeel like a child when one of those red grasshoppers jumped up into my face today.

Have never read of any incidents hey

I'm sure the Hub universe will publicize such an event snake ????

My wife almost rode into a puffy on the trails near Kynsna on the weekend. Heard her scream, saw her hightail it outta there! Instant technical skills boost, lol.

When I went past the same spot, it had moved off.

I had a big snake-scare coming out of the bush-tunnel at Mankele a couple of weeks ago.  

Managed to catch it on the GoPro.

Snake was crossing the single-track section as I came around the bend. I had absolutely NO time to stop and nowhere to go, so I just kept going and hoped for the best.  

Happend so fast, the big skrik only caught up with me about 10 minutes later back at the camp.

Edited by Cloudbase999

We come across Puffies quite often here.. big ones small ones.. 

and you always see them late.. the last time I rode right past the log... and when I looked down.. well the log had patterns.. yes I had one of those girlie screech moments.

the bigger they are the more stubborn they are.. they just don't move.

Biggest Puffy I ever saw was outside Klerksdorp. Near the dam. Big mother! Nearly had an accident in my bibs.

Makes my think of Petrus!

Petrus used to work for us. Bloody useless, but ... part of the furniture. Biggest effen sponge that you have ever seen.

So the workers on the farm killed a puffy.

They believe that if you eat it, you are immune against snake poison going forward.

I really wanted the dead serpent.

It was then that I learned that two Black Labels vs eternal immunity against snake bites..... The Zamalek (Black Label) always wins.

Did a trade.

So I put the dead puffy in a shoe box.

Leave it on my desk and call Petrus.

"Petrus!!!!"

He comes running to my office. (Probably hoping for a hand out)

I tune him. "Vat asb hierdie skoen boks en moer hom in die asblik.Maar Petrus, jy moenie binne by die boks kyk nie."

It took about 10 seconds before this blood curdling scream erupted. Petrus decided to look in the box!

So after calming the old fella down I tell him that it was all a joke. We were just making a joke because he is such a sponge and nosey old fart.

He accepts the apology ... but says I please must not throw the snake away... he wants it ... because do I know..... if you eat the snake, you will be immune from the poison of snake bites in the future! Ntate , kan ek hom asb kry!

Edited by Vetseun