Puffy encounter

gerhardsnorbaard

• Replies 706
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

this is the bastard that sailed in front of me on Kaapzicht Killer the other day... I must have missed it by 2m or so, I was grinding head down, when I looked up to see how much of the bleeding hill is left and saw it crossing the road in front of me. it was about 6m long... (in my head it was 6m, but really probably just about 1.2-1.5m)

post-36629-0-96919800-1579012850_thumb.png

Cape Cobra dark form

And this bloke hangs out on the northern hills of Tygerberg MTB. The one I spotted on Spyker's Hill was a dark specimen such as this one.

If a Cobra tags you. rather call for assistance. The neurotoxic venom will in short order cause your diaphragm to be paralyzed, and you will slowly suffocate. It also works on the heart, so trying to ride back will hasten your demise. If possible, phone for help, shout, make a scene, but just don't ride.

If a Cobra tags you. rather call for assistance. The neurotoxic venom will in short order cause your diaphragm to be paralyzed, and you will slowly suffocate. It also works on the heart, so trying to ride back will hasten your demise. If possible, phone for help, shout, make a scene, but just don't ride.

Not even a nice downhill with a couple of jumps? :ph34r:

This is the one that was in the trail just next to the little pine tree straight after the left hand switchback on the climb away from the dam at Conternman's two year's ago. I think about it everytime I labour my way up to that corner.

Cape Cobra light form

Ouch!

I call bull**** (gently) on the wound pictures.

The Cape Cobra has a neurotoxic venom. Therefore it will not make a big necrotic wound like that. It will cause some swelling and affect the nervous system.

What the pictures show is much more likely the bite of a snake with cytotoxic venom that causes destruction of tissue at and around the bite. The Puff Adder will be a much more likely suspect.

The Cape Cobra has a neurotoxic venom. Therefore it will not make a big necrotic wound like that. It will cause some swelling and affect the nervous system.

What the pictures show is much more likely the bite of a snake with cytotoxic venom that causes destruction of tissue at and around the bite. The Puff Adder will be a much more likely suspect.

Agreed

Snake vemon is not fully understood. The venom from Cape cobras from the western regions are believed to be even more toxic/potent than the rest. I also recently saw a case of mild cytotoxic effect from a Cape cobra. Might be the same case, but definitely not bs.

Edit: looking at the photos, it appears to be the same case, and also not a misidentified specie. 

Edited by stefmeister

No Man!!!!

Screw this, im swopping my Merida for a Seadoo. How am i supposed to enjoy mtb'ing after seeing this?

You okes are panzies.

All your stories of the time you almost rode over a snake  :rolleyes:

snake_02.jpg

8257e0017cda938dc2ec45a8fe59e6d2.jpg

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-AceQixeKTwY/T2yVUZ9mPbI/AAAAAAAABrQ/yxYWJOsc_xY/s1600/429464_10150745124406060_127066331059_11341768_713178053_n.jpg

No Man!!!!

Screw this, im swopping my Merida for a Seadoo. How am i supposed to enjoy mtb'ing after seeing this?

Snakes can swim as well, So rather get a GP1800R. Just don't ride it like that oke in the video doing the rounds lately on social media.