Yolande de Villiers sanctioned for anti-doping rule violation

News bot

• Replies 687
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On the SA vs the world doping issue, don't we have HEAPS of doping violations in schoolboy rugby, bodybuilding, power lifting etc?

I know at one point a whole heap of Craven week kids were bust.

All I want to know is whether Shan Wilson's number is saved on Yolande's phone.... 

20 hours ago, Danger Dassie said:

Don't agree, we have a relatively large population index and geography, along with one of the biggest growth rates in cycling sport.  As far as doping goes SA has to date approximately 20-30 published cases max over the last ten years. Across all cycling disciplines and sanctions.

There are some Euro nations with a smaller population sample and cycling population that could be argued as worse. 
Then if we look at Spain, Belgium, Italy, etc as examples, the number of cases is pretty scary, particularly among amateurs. In many respects nowhere near as transparent either. 
So please define "very very very bad" and "astounding." 

So lets look at past MTB pros who dominated the early days of MTB stage racing like Sani in SA : George, Evans, Stewart, Knox, Wilson, Croeser, all tested positive and banned/sanctioned. A lot of podium positions would have been very different. And that's only the "pros"s that got caught. That's a significant amount of positives for such a small sample of pro mtb riders. And how many wannabee vets and masters racers were doping during that time who were never tested ......

15 minutes ago, bolt67 said:

So lets look at past MTB pros who dominated the early days of MTB stage racing like Sani in SA : George, Evans, Stewart, Knox, Wilson, Croeser, all tested positive and banned/sanctioned. A lot of podium positions would have been very different. And that's only the "pros"s that got caught. That's a significant amount of positives for such a small sample of pro mtb riders. And how many wannabee vets and masters racers were doping during that time who were never tested ......

This actually makes more sense than an annual accounting.

If we look at the number of TOP *male* SA cyclists over the years, it is quite something to see just how many of them were on the juice. (I specify gender as we have had some fantastic, unsanctioned ladies).

Of those who raced World Cups, won SA champs events and/or went to the Olympics, only a few were never sanctioned in some way.

I wonder if Kevin Evans ha to give back all his Maccabiah Games medals?

Edited by Jewbacca
Gender reveal

15 minutes ago, bolt67 said:

Out of interest of those 6 you mentioned only George, Knox and Wilson showed a level of sophistication in the way they went about doping (at least in relation to the way they got caught). With Evans, Stewart and Croeser it was like a doping version of dumb and dumber, I don't think they had the ability to be clever dopers, in my biased opinion likely they only doped for a short time before they got caught. And both Evans and Stewart were pretty useless at the end of the careers by the time they got caught despite the doping.

17 minutes ago, Skubarra said:

Out of interest of those 6 you mentioned only George, Knox and Wilson showed a level of sophistication in the way they went about doping (at least in relation to the way they got caught). With Evans, Stewart and Croeser it was like a doping version of dumb and dumber, I don't think they had the ability to be clever dopers, in my biased opinion likely they only doped for a short time before they got caught. And both Evans and Stewart were pretty useless at the end of the careers by the time they got caught despite the doping.

was Evans not caught with white sniffable dope? 

19 hours ago, binxc said:

She beat both at SA XCM Champs 2021, as well as Hayley Preen, Sarah Hill and Theresa Ralph (Robyn was disqualified due to a route error). Also narrowly lost to Robyn in a sprint finish at Race to the Sun one year, if I recall. I think the comment earlier in the thread about lack of depth in the ultra fields is fair but it isn't just at this level she is winning. I don't think anyone at the ultras ever gets tested in either the men's 

That is why looking at her GC position at all the race she does raises eyebrows? Ladies field too small. But regular Top 10 at events that include serious male contenders....🤔

22 hours ago, Spafsack said:

I regularly see her name pop up in the news, amazing how she does it. To be that quick, top 6, men and woman, that is scary fit. I don't know what to say to be honest, maybe she trains everyday and is super fit. But she does basically beat any other woman racer almost every time hands down. And to do that at 50 is remarkable. 

AND with a heart condition😳. AND she beats pro men on GC. Remarkable indeed! Shows you what can be done with proper training and talent. (Just forget about the previous convictions)

17 hours ago, babse said:

Good thing she skipped the tour de PPa then...  

Rumour in the A-group was the anti-doping trokkie was there on a tip-off since it's so expensive to test... So... Anyone see who got sent to the porta-loo with a cup...?

4 minutes ago, bleedToWin said:

Rumour in the A-group was the anti-doping trokkie was there on a tip-off since it's so expensive to test... So... Anyone see who got sent to the porta-loo with a cup...?

Believe the podium got sent to the porta-pisinnacup... I spoke to gent who picked up 3rd, after his test. 

The level of ladies cycling and especially mtb in South Africa currently is far from the high quality as a overall peloton/group compared to recent years. 

7 minutes ago, Shebeen said:

I guess only she knows, any good cyclist is always a suspect!

If you're 100% clean it must be a little bit cool to see random internet people assuming you're doping, with only your results as proof!

I would think it would be frustrating. IF you're 100% clean and have worked your butt off to get to the level you are on and random keyboard warriors assume you took the "easy" route.

I have no skin in this game. I perhaps naively like to think that athletes are clean, but I've been proved wrong  many times (hello Lance)

1 hour ago, KeenMTBer said:

AND with a heart condition😳. AND she beats pro men on GC. Remarkable indeed! Shows you what can be done with proper training and talent. (Just forget about the previous convictions)

Please name and shame - who are these pro men being beaten by a 50 year-old lady doper?!