Yolande de Villiers sanctioned for anti-doping rule violation

News bot

5 hours ago, lechatnoir said:

money... causes all kinds of changes to standards... both performance and moral. I'm trying to not be surprised.

There is a Colombian rider doing time for trafficking snowflake powder… he unfortunately lost more than his racing licence… I don’t think his had any personal visits from the UCI! 😂😂😂

• Replies 687
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

6 hours ago, Jewbacca said:

Is Davey George allowed back?

If memory serves, he was even banned from being present as a business owner/mechanic for Gear Exchange in the early days. (My memory often doesn't serve, so please do correct me).

friends-we-were-on-a-break.gif

image.png.0f3251d0fab0e3229a904b575ba8fcf6.png

Edited by Shebeen

31 minutes ago, SwissVan said:

F*** floyd

LAnce and George H would boss them all

Didn’t Caden and George win the masters cat a few years ago and on the last day nogal . Flew under the radar and took it in the line this not giving keyboard warriors the opportunity to protest the injustice of an ex doper winning their beloved team build bos erase that conquers all.

4 minutes ago, DieselnDust said:

Didn’t Caden and George win the masters cat a few years ago and on the last day nogal . Flew under the radar and took it in the line this not giving keyboard warriors the opportunity to protest the injustice of an ex doper winning their beloved team build bos erase that conquers all.

"they had a great week". never came back so probably wasn't actually as much fun as the media machine made it look.

Epic-Duo-Flyer-300620-783x1024.png

5 hours ago, FBSP said:

If there are any cycling fans out there who think this person doesn't dope, they are seriously naive, have their head on the sand or are generally not knowledgeable about how racing bikes works and how to tell a doper. Firstly look at the events she does. Mostly all Dryland events, why? Her husband used to/ still does work for them and she is probably protected around any testing that will be prevalent at these events, if any. Secondly, according to her TUE, she has a heart condition and thus was using this medication. If I had a heart condition at 50 I certainly wouldn't be racing bicycles, would you? Thirdly, at 50, look at her results compared to the men, not the women, and tell me what your gut tells you about her performance. Fourthly, she tested positive 3 times in half a season, for me that is enough to suggest the old adage still stands, once a doper...

I think its embarrassing that she continues to race at this level without being tested regularly and continues to win prize money at Dryland events without any questions being asked, hence I am asking the question. Cheating to win money is bull**** and I think I am just putting this out there, because I know many are thinking it too. Just my POV..

I couldn't agree more. I've several times watched her drafting and no other women in sight, within the men or behind one man (husband?). I've believed there's a smelly rat for a long time in that only certain somewhat obscure events make up the majority of her races.

I say let her race the Epic and she gets tested like (hopefully everybody else) and see how she does. In my mind you can't trust a doper - If you were the MD of a co. and someone in Finance defrauded the co. would you keep them in your employ, or employ a convicted fraudster?

3 minutes ago, love2fly said:

I couldn't agree more. I've several times watched her drafting and no other women in sight, within the men or behind one man (husband?). I've believed there's a smelly rat for a long time in that only certain somewhat obscure events make up the majority of her races.

I say let her race the Epic and she gets tested like (hopefully everybody else) and see how she does. In my mind you can't trust a doper - If you were the MD of a co. and someone in Finance defrauded the co. would you keep them in your employ, or employ a convicted fraudster?

When she drop Robyn and Amy then I start to eat popcorn faster 

1 hour ago, wattnow said:

Surely also a function of how many test are conducted? It should be based on percentage of tests. The countries who carry out the most test will have a greater chance of more postives?

This could be one of the reasons why more people test positive in European countries...

I read an article years ago (2005 or 2007) in a Bike Magazine, about how doping was so prevalent in the European teams because many of their riders were from poor Eastern European countries. This was before the testing standards were raised. The young riders showed some talent and made the team as Domestiques. With their cycling contract, they could support their entire family (parents and siblings)  back home. It was a financial decision... Dope and stay in the team or don't dope and go back home to be a minimum wage worker in a tile factory.

6 minutes ago, wattnow said:

Surely also a function of how many test are conducted? It should be based on percentage of tests. The countries who carry out the most test will have a greater chance of more postives?

For sure, for SAIDS a case could be made that overall they operate more proactively than some other federations on testing. Particularly given the resource challenges, which everyone has, but for SA it's more nuanced. 

16 minutes ago, DieselnDust said:

When she drop Robyn and Amy then I start to eat popcorn faster 

She beat both at SA XCM Champs 2021, as well as Hayley Preen, Sarah Hill and Theresa Ralph (Robyn was disqualified due to a route error). Also narrowly lost to Robyn in a sprint finish at Race to the Sun one year, if I recall. I think the comment earlier in the thread about lack of depth in the ultra fields is fair but it isn't just at this level she is winning. I don't think anyone at the ultras ever gets tested in either the men's 

1 hour ago, Comrade J said:

On these Stats, I don't see anything strange, me  thinks some people's partners are miffed because they cannot beat her.... CSA and SAID must do their testing ( we know that they also do not have the funds to test so catch 22)

https://mtbdata.com/riders/yolande-de-villiers

They have the funds to test some riders like 4 times a year with visits and then test after nationals and Herald. Maybe you just need to pick the right events. 

All you people who think just because someone is good at what they do they surely must be cheating. I rode with Yolande 2 weeks ago in the 72km race. We finished same time. The route had a total elevation of 360m. Now that speaks of a very fast race. I passed 3 other women along the way and at the speed they were doing they could have been on a Sunday afternoon ride. So why is someone cheating/doping just because they pedal a bit harder and put in more effort than the other people. Maybe the guys that won also might have been cheating because they rode so much faster than the other guys.

There are people out there that are just in another class. No matter what age they are.

So why is no one calling out Annemiek van Vleuten, she only trains with the men, that's why she is so much stronger than her fellow cyclists

6 minutes ago, zeerpuD1 said:

All you people who think just because someone is good at what they do they surely must be cheating. I rode with Yolande 2 weeks ago in the 72km race. We finished same time. The route had a total elevation of 360m. Now that speaks of a very fast race. I passed 3 other women along the way and at the speed they were doing they could have been on a Sunday afternoon ride. So why is someone cheating/doping just because they pedal a bit harder and put in more effort than the other people. Maybe the guys that won also might have been cheating because they rode so much faster than the other guys.

There are people out there that are just in another class. No matter what age they are.

Mate, if the top guys had previous doping violations the speculation would be justified. But they don’t… I ride with most of them, consider some of them good friends who I have spent a LOT of time talking about this issue with and I really believe they’re clean. Apples and oranges.