Yolande de Villiers sanctioned for anti-doping rule violation

News bot

• Replies 687
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

SAIDS applied their mind and determined its reasonable she didn't dope. UCI just applied the rules in black and white.

SAIDS applied their mind and determined its reasonable she didn't dope. UCI just applied the rules in black and white.

I'd be completely happy with that result if they actually had said/justified it somewhere. The cloak and dagger "Rule number 1 of SAIDS club" style management leaves it all open to opinion and sustained rhetoric.

It's the problem with the whole anti doping code...

That and dose of dodgy science and draconian rules that an over zealous media loves to predate upon every finding as some sort comfort that we know more.

It's all just part of the show to keep us talking.

In the old days gladiators Rose and fell on their swords. Not much has changed

All said she is only going by the procedures and the sanction if applied. Instead of going after her for not giving herself a self imposed longer sanction or a more severe total ban rather go after those that decided on the sanction If a person receives a suspension on their drivers license for reckless driving they can start driving a vehicle again when the suspension ends, if others are not happy they should take their indignation out on those that applied the suspension. 

• 4 years later...
2 minutes ago, DieselnDust said:

Context?

A window into my brain:

karoo burn results > hmm I wonder if she’s doing epic > google ydv cape epic > find that article > also see she’s entered 

58 minutes ago, Sid the Sloth said:

A window into my brain:

karoo burn results > hmm I wonder if she’s doing epic > google ydv cape epic > find that article > also see she’s entered 

But I believe her sanction was overturned based on the medical evidence that was provided. I could be wrong about that but I seem to recall reading about that during the dark nights of the pandemic 

That was from 2016, a fair bit of detail was included so as to provide more insight and context. Rather than simply a copy and paste of the press release. 

From memory roughly, YDV had a TUE application in for a specific medication prescribed for women in her age/condition. But there was a breakdown in comms/administration from SAIDS and/or CSA at the time.

Thus in her appeal the sanction was mostly applied retrospectively at the time. 

The info should be on the SAIDS site under the case files. Generally all the hearing documentation is available. If it isn’t, SAIDS can be emailed for the information and they’ll normally update the site accordingly.

It both be argued that she was naive/negligent in her approach, whilst between CSA and SAIDS the same could be argued, ergo Newman’s comment at the time. Which flies in the face of an accountable and transparent organisation.

As far as the lifetime ban goes, Epic is under new ownership and it’s their prerogative really. Also let’s be honest with ourselves, an event applying a flat rate lifetime ban does nothing for anti doping. Arguably YDW’s case among others proves that.

Is Davey George allowed back?

If memory serves, he was even banned from being present as a business owner/mechanic for Gear Exchange in the early days. (My memory often doesn't serve, so please do correct me).

There were quite a number of ex dopers on the start list last year. I remember (again, ol and fuzzy brain) there was a BikeHub discussion about it.

All I'm going to say is that I would pay good money to watch Lance and Flloyd pair up and race the grand masters together