Evobikes

Takealot does exactly the same.

To be fair, isn't that only with the ships in x-x working days items? There in stock items normally ship same day depending when you order

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Takealot does exactly the same.

Takealot works on a marketplace model. Some stock is warehoused with them at a monthly cost while some suppliers prefer to house their own stock.

The longer lead time means the supplier carries the stock and Takealot collects from them to dispatch.

Edited by Mr Dampf

Had the same issue a couple of months ago. Ordered a BB and after about a week I recieved the wrong one, after some back and forth on whose fault it was they eventually send the correct BB. The courier refused to take the wrong BB back. I went out of my way to deliver the BB to them without even a simple thank you.

I've only had excellent service from Evobikes and Janos. Have never had a issue with returns either.

Must remember they get more than one or two orders a day so stock availability can easily differ from one minute to the next. I always chat with Janos before placing a order and he is always helpful.

Like last night it was way past their closing time but Janos still checked stock sent me a invoice and tonight I fitted the new 10-52 GX groupset.

I think I’m going to phone them in the morning and cancel my order.

I’d rather order what I need from Unior

Ordered and paid on the 1st, money was refunded on the 3rd with no reason given. Order still shows as pending. Sent an email yesterday morning to query but no response yet

They have been experiencing some issues - seems like a bit of a 1 man show dealing with a lot of volume under lockdown?

I had one order that got lost by the courier - after a number of emails to Janos had to take it up with the courier myself (he was dealing with the Cape Town branch, but the Cape Town branch was not communicating with the Joburg set that had lost the parcel + neither of them seemed to be prepared to phone Joburg to sort it out). After a few phone calls I had managed to find both my parcel and the unopened emails from his Cape Town account manager to the local depot..

My second order turned out to be out of stock after I paid. He was very quick to refund me, but if the website says 'in stock' then you assume that the stock is actually there.

No third order.

Essentially doing a form of drop shipping. I understand that it isn’t possible to keep stock of everything. The online computer stores also ship from supplier.

If something is out of stock then let me know. Don’t just keep quiet.

I read some shocking reviews on Evobikes now and I really hope it’s not a case of waiting weeks because Park Tool is out of stock on a set of wrenches.

I also don’t want to cancel my order and lose 10% for restocking fee. Apparently this is a thing.

Does anyone have an email address for Janos?

janos@evobikes.co.za

For what it's worth, I've only ever ordered 2 things from Evo bikes but both transactions went very smoothly. 

I happened to take a bike in to David Mercer yesterday (a very well-respected steel frame builder in CT, if you hadn't heard of him) and conversation eventually drifted to "How's business going?". He said the leading in to lock down things were pretty quiet, too quiet even. But since then he's pretty much been run ragged with orders. His take on it was that people were sitting at home with lots of time to day-dream about how cool it would be when life is "normal" again and how cool it would be to build up this perfect bike because it's something to do and something to look forward to, etc, etc. He didn't say it in those exact words, but I suspect we're all on the same page here. The point is, most people are actually ordering more bike stuff at the moment it seems. 

Couple this with the fact that importing is hardly running smoothly and that companies are battling to run at full capacity due to Covid-based restrictions in the work place....

Orders are up, but product is difficult to get at reliable intervals and staff availability (either you own or that of the supply chain) is probably below capacity and/or unpredictable. 

I just think it's a really tough time to be in this business.

If an online retailer is intentionally misleading then I have no time for them. But if people are just battling to keep up I'd be inclined to give them a get-out-of-jail-free card.

Couple this with the fact that importing is hardly running smoothly and that companies are battling to run at full capacity due to Covid-based restrictions in the work place....

It may be a tough time to be in business, but many companies are trying to hide behind c19 as an excuse for bad admin, bad service and general slapgatgeid.

Before I placed my one and only order, I emailed them to check if they had stock. I didn’t expect an immediate answer, and was happy with a reply the next day, which I got.

I was quoted 2-3 days from supplier to them, then the order would be processed for delivery. I paid on the Monday evening, and stock was delivered by Saturday. 7 days from “making the enquiry”, to stock at my door”, weekend included.

Will definitely use them again, if needed.

Have also only had good experiences with them - by far my preferred online bike store.

That being said, I think there is always room for improvement in terms of stock availability and lead time communication. Hopefully it is something that they can build into their online store to show “supplier stock” separate from their own store stock.