SRAM introduces 12-speed Eagle drivetrains

News bot

Ok so how long before the RD touches the ground when you are in granny? 56? 58? Also, any views on the correlation between chain length and chain failure / wear?

Call me old fashioned, but I'll take my dinner plate on the front right next to my side plate opposed to on the back for now.

At the moment, the cage is the same length as the current xx1 & x01 & x1 & gx1 stuff, which means it goes no closer to the ground than current iterations, due to the way that the RD moves sideways, not diagonally. It stays in the same horizontal plane, with the upper jockey wheel moving in & rearward as you shift gears. X-Horizon, they call it. 

The only change in the RD is that hte upper jockey is slightly more offset (rearwards) so that it can clear the 50t without having to extend the b-screw too much. 

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

and the lower jockey wheel is 14T not 12T to allow for the additional chain without extending the jockey cage

Yeah, I said that earlier but forgot to include it above. 

Myles you miight have missed when I said this:

"I like the idea of simplicity and less clutter on the bike, but at the end of the day it needs to be practical and comfortable to ride with"

I'll add that by practical includes affordable, having to wait for the trickle down to more affordable sram ranges is not cricket either.... And can u imagine how heavy that more affordable version will be if the top of the range weighs 355g

Price and a 8 tooth jump to a 50T cog don't make it practical to me. XTR used to be the benchmark for expensive mtb componentry but srams 11 and now 12 T cassettes have made xtr almost affordable in comparison.

Price and weight from chain reaction cycles:

XTR 11-34 or 11-36 = $138 (RRP $249)

On special

X01 10-42 = $251 (RRP = $450)

XX1 10-42 = $268 (RRP = $498)

Eagle10-50 = $360 to $420

Until I get a chance to try it I won't hate it, maybe I like it..... But I'm not falling for the marketing (500% range) or going fall asleep dreaming about it

Each to their own.

You either need it / want it based on the type of riding you do and can afford it or not. Regrettably with our exchange rate new product lines from overseas are getting pricy.

As to me my Enduro / trail bike will remain 1 X 11 XO and my fully ridged carbon 29er will stay 2 X 10 because I need not only the range but the smaller jumps as I use this bike as a road bike.

I do have plans on getting a short travel dual sys for riding such as the Dirtopia 100 miler on I recon that bike will warrant Eagle.

Remember to enjoy the ride.

More to the point, perhaps - looks awesome, but remember kids, it won' make you faster, only training will do that. Well, training and PEDs if you are into that sort of thing.

After splashing on 1x11 already I can't see myself going to 1x12 just for the bailout gear.

I am quite happy on my 34t upfront and haven't found a hill I couldn't ride yet. Obviously if I am going to do an epic I might go down to a 32t to save the legs a bit.

Edited by Rudi Pollard

If I was a seriaaas racer, I'll buy this puppy.

So awesome.

(Fortunately, I don't have seriaaas performance goals on my dirt bike. Dankie tog vir my beursie.  :nuke:  :nuke: )

....just helping the thread along to get to gold status.. and 12 pages.. one for each of the eagle's gears...watch how each page magically turns to gold...

My question is this:

Will Shimano react and also go that route, after doing so much for riders with the M8000 11speed series?

Or will they do what any sane industry would do and invest in creating an economy of scale, allowing a trickle down to SLX level 11 speed drivetrains? 

My question is this:

Will Shimano react and also go that route, after doing so much for riders with the M8000 11speed series?

Or will they do what any sane industry would do and invest in creating an economy of scale, allowing a trickle down to SLX level 11 speed drivetrains? 

Cannot wait for Shimano to go 1 x 12.  On the Di2, it is a simple software upgrade with new cluster and chain.  Bring it on, apparently soon, soon...