Post your woodwork here

Slowbee

LE TURBO !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

how you been ? its been some time, and it takes old fashioned wood to get you back !

Hey Slowbee! It's good to be back and see my Hub family. The woodwork took me away for a while - I was living on Reddit and Pinterest. I can only handle one obsession at a time, unfortunately! Lekker to see old names and faces still here, and a few interesting new ones.

PS: Try Hardware Centre opposite Good Hope Centre for your mortise guage. The Chinese (or others claim, Indian) brass-and-wood marking tools are actually good quality and very reasonably priced.

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hypothetically speaking, if one were to come across a large number of genuine, legal, 24 year old Yellowwood boards about 3m x 300mm x 22mm, what would one make with them? (Other than a table)

Serious question.

All I know is that a Philistine like me should not touch them with a saw :)

A sideboard.... I already have the table.... and chairs.

My old man taught woodwork and metalwork at Sea Point Boys and Rondebosch.

He was very innovative and I remember at Sea point one year the Matrics all made Speed Boats as their year model.

As a lightie we used to go out from 3 Anchor Bay as well as from Camps Bay beach

My old man taught woodwork and metalwork at Sea Point Boys and Rondebosch.

He was very innovative and I remember at Sea point one year the Matrics all made Speed Boats as their year model.

As a lightie we used to go out from 3 Anchor Bay as well as from Camps Bay beach

In what type of boat/boats?

Jinne.......you bunch here knows how to motivate and inspire someone to go and try something just for the sake of it. So boasting a level of proficiency that is not even at NOOB level.......possibly embrinoobic level......the challenge was on.

There was a lot of wood work (and a little bit more), some screwing, getting plastered, grinding and sanding, painting, drilling into reinforced concrete (and hitting an electrical conduit with the first hole in 15m2 ceiling :whistling:  :eek:  :nuke:  :blink: )......and an ice cold Copperlake afterwards last night at 23:00.

Please be gentle with this amateur..........ek het nie houtwerk op skool gehad nie.

The end product: Suspended bulkhead (1,2 x 3m) with internal florescent lighting and dimable led (CREE) down-lighters (thanks Aliexpress) 

post-41755-0-86094900-1464163949_thumb.jpg

Edited by BarHugger

Hey Leturbo, would Hardware Center be the best place to buy a good quality cross-cut saw and tenon saw?

Hey Leturbo, would Hardware Center be the best place to buy a good quality cross-cut saw and tenon saw?

My local Builders Warehouse has Stanley tenon and cross cut saws.Expensive but they will be expensive anywhere

... Skill Saw ... 

Which one?

... an orbital sander (The rectangular one) ...

Chuck it and get a Random Orbit Sander, the round one.

... an electric plane ...

Kill it! Kill it with fire! 

... would like to add a router ...

Try and get a Triton - a bit more expensive than garden variety Bosch (ok) or Ryobi (crap) but just the fine adjustments you can make on it makes it worth it's (considerable) weight in gold

Hypothetically speaking, if one were to come across a large number of genuine, legal, 24 year old Yellowwood boards about 3m x 300mm x 22mm, what would one make with them? (Other than a table)

Serious question.

3 meters? Table top for sure.

There's still a lot of yellowwood available, price is around the R30 000 per cubic meter mark, but most of those are short planks around 1.8m, and under 200mm wide. Unless you pay premium plus a little on the side, then you can get those sizes you speak of. It would be sacrilege to waste that much length (that's what she said)

My local Builders Warehouse has Stanley tenon and cross cut saws.Expensive but they will be expensive anywhere

In my experience BW are massively overpriced so I avoid them like the plague.

I would also prefer to go somewhere where I can get some advice from a shop attendant that knows what they are talking about.

Edited by MTBeer

Which one? It's actually an old Skil that I claimed from my FIL when he lived with us. Cuts OK now that it has a new blade. Can adjust the angle and depth of the cut as well

Chuck it and get a Random Orbit Sander, the round one. Will have to keep an eye out for one

Kill it! Kill it with fire! Don't stress I got a long and a short hand plane as well ;)

Try and get a Triton - a bit more expensive than garden variety Bosch (ok) or Ryobi (crap) but just the fine adjustments you can make on it makes it worth it's (considerable) weight in gold Colleague at work is looking to get rid of his new (Well a couple of years old but only has around 5-10 hours work on it and been sitting in a cupboard for ages) B&D router with  a few bits (8mm collet I think) for a few hundred bucks. Might have a look at that for now while I am still deciding how deep I want to wade into this woodworking pool.....

Dankie Meneer 

Comments above in red

Edited by Grebel

Serious question.

The correct answer is: Jonkmanskas, but with a few small stinkwood details added.

Edited by DJR