Post your woodwork here

Slowbee

Did my own manual pocket hole butt joints for my lighties bunk bed at my new place. Start screwing the screw in, then as soon as it's bitten, rotate downwards with a strong downward pressure (along the length of the screw) and drive home.

No kreg jig, no fuss. Would work far better with an impact driver, but it'll do.

Still needs a sand and paint. A bit of melawood will go under, bridging the 2 lower cross braces, to serve as a desk. Ladder is repurposed from my best mates bunk, which was used ~30 years ago. Ladder was kept as a "just in case" by my hoarder of a godmother.

c8b6543811cf675b67812fd4fd44cd7a.jpg

Do you drive in screws without drilling pilot holes firstly?

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you drive in screws without drilling pilot holes firstly?

Yes, with this material, where it conforms to screws very easily thanks to the softness of the wood. It was an experiment, with those long self-tapping screws that have the notch out of them at the bottom. 

For other projects I would definitely pre-drill, as there'd be a very good chance of splitting and ruining the wood. 

Edited by Myles Mayhew

Yes, with this material, where it conforms to screws very easily thanks to the softness of the wood. It was an experiment, with those long self-tapping screws that have the notch out of them at the bottom.

For other projects I would definitely pre-drill, as there'd be a very good chance of splitting and ruining the wood.

c5971f8a97787513786652e3bec3f674.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just a warning for those using pallet / crate wood - a friend of mine who does carpentry made a table for someone and had to take out some pieces due to a borer beetle larva in it.

So many knowledgable chaps in here, some advice please!

My wife got a bee in her bonnet that we must 'sort out' the floor in our 2nd lounge. So after the umpteenth sarcastic comment I stripped my moer and sommer went and hired a floor sander this morning and did it (well started [emoji16])

As you can see it's a parquet floor, I never really gave much thought to what I will 'treat' it with [emoji848]

I will still finish the edges and some of the bits with my small sander and sandpaper tomorrow morning. There is a portion that is a walkway to another room but the rest is used very seldom.

Any suggestions what would be the best product to use, how long it takes to dry (important as my bike room is on the other side [emoji41])?

TIA23a71b836d8831d4fb546304a0d899f4.jpgfebc7b4ac0eb6eb4d670eef35e74ef04.jpg

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using Tapatalk

My wife got a bee in her bonnet that we must 'sort out' the floor in our 2nd lounge. So after the umpteenth sarcastic comment I stripped my moer and sommer went and hired a floor sander this morning and did it (well started [emoji16])

As you can see it's a parquet floor, I never really gave much thought to what I will 'treat' it with [emoji848]

I will still finish the edges and some of the bits with my small sander and sandpaper tomorrow morning. There is a portion that is a walkway to another room but the rest is used very seldom.

Any suggestions what would be the best product to use, how long it takes to dry (important as my bike room is on the other side [emoji41])?

Lekker project. I plan on giving mine a light sand and then using polyurethane sealer. Dunno if I should consider anything else as it was recommended. 

Any suggestions what would be the best product to use, how  ........

I would suggest a  product called Bourne Gleem

If you can get the old recipe one - the one that stinks like crazy while drying then even better think it might be the Bourne P6

http://www.bourne.co.za/

Remember the three P's    preparation - preparation - preparation.

Edited by porqui

When we had our floors done, they were sealed with a clear polyurethane varnish. Think it was a DECO pruduct. Hasn't worn through over the years (probably around 12 years ago) but it has scratched a bit in the high traffic areas.

Lekker project. I plan on giving mine a light sand and then using polyurethane sealer. Dunno if I should consider anything else as it was recommended. 

Most of the water based poly's we get in SA seem to be for floor sealing so Im sure that is the right choice.

Thanks Grebel, Porqui and Eddy for your suggestions. Had a discussion with Stretched@birth as well yesterday and decided to go with the polyurethane gloss.

Today is the big day, just finish off the edges and then start, will have to move the bike stuff I need for the next few days out of that room into a spare room though. Don't want to need to walk through there to soon and mess it up

I would suggest a  product called Bourne Gleem

If you can get the old recipe one - the one that stinks like crazy while drying then even better think it might be the Bourne P6

http://www.bourne.co.za/

Remember the three P's    preparation - preparation - preparation.

+1 on Bourne gleem.

They also do a Water based one (Waterbourne). I'm not too fond of the finish achieved with water based floor sealers, but it doesn't have any of the nasty fumes you have to deal with in polyurethane sealers. 

Thanks Grebel, Porqui and Eddy for your suggestions. Had a discussion with Stretched@birth as well yesterday and decided to go with the polyurethane gloss.

Today is the big day, just finish off the edges and then start, will have to move the bike stuff I need for the next few days out of that room into a spare room though. Don't want to need to walk through there to soon and mess it up

Not sure what your position is regarding animals but make sure they do not go near the newly sealed floor. A friend of mine's dog took a nice stroll over his newly painted garage floor, there was paint everywhere in the house!!!

Some advise from the wood Guru's out there.

I have a Balau deck that gets wet almost daily (early morning due) and about 10 hours of direct sun with it being quite harsh in summer.

After a good sand and clean what would be the best product to use and how many coats would be required in order to the best long term protection?

Thanks in advance.

Edited by Spoke101