Post your woodwork here

Slowbee

2 hours ago, Rocket-Boy said:

What amazes me is how small they look in pictures... these things are MASSIVE!

My one must weigh a couple of kg's at least.

The mouse and keyboard are for size reference and there aint nothing small about it!!

20210731_153649.jpg.b9de562a111492b06c5404ead4ab5502.jpg

Why do you have TWO keyboards ... are you the IT version of a dealer with two cell phones?

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, Hairy on a Davidson said:

Why do you have TWO keyboards ... are you the IT version of a dealer with two cell phones?

Keyboard, mouse and screen on the left is for the MBP and the same on the right for my Windows laptop.

Its a big desk and has 4 screens with a whole lot on them!

12 hours ago, Hairy on a Davidson said:

when I was in IT support I taught myself to use my left hand to type and use the mouse as I had bad RSI in the right hand at a stage.

Due to the nature of the work I'd often have a PC or server that I was configuring on my desk along with my regular PC, and would often have the one mouse in my left hand and the other in my right navigating them perfectly (although not at exactly the same time). Always got a chuckle out of the reaction from other folks.

The using a mouse with the left hand was very beneficial as my more senior colleague was left handed and would always have the mouse(s) of servers etc on the left side.

I had a bit of a moment a few days ago. 

Went to quote on cutting down a tree at elderly people's house, and after a chat the uncle invited me into his workshop. 

He had a workshop the size of a double garage, but the real treasure was inside. 

I could see a panel saw, scroll saw, radial arm saw, spindle, two different lathes, and a massive workbench. All from many years ago, the panel saw had metric and imperial measurements on it. And he is still using it. 

He showed me some of the lamps he turned. Exquisite.

He is 90. It was a humbling and inspiring experience. 

On 8/4/2021 at 12:51 AM, Steven Knoetze (sk27) said:

Two things you never borrow/lend:

Tools

Wife

Use it, don't use it.......

Indeed. Hence what has led me from tool lending to active involvement in the project, haha!

Initially I was asked for "a saw, nail gun and laser level". No specification on what type of saw or nail gun. Also the assumption that there is only 1 type of nail gun which they also planned to use for hanging drywall... scary thought using 90mm framing nails to attach brittle drywall to timber ????

So with my revised role from Tool Supplier to Project Manager/Lead Designer/Main Contractor, I vetted the tool list and the "saw, nail gun and laser level" list was expanded out to the following:

image.png.14ae6eabf2fe530e3f6e786b36622687.png

1. 15Ga Nailer, laser level, tool belt (with basics, pliers, pencils, screwdrivers, etc)
  2. Screw gun, electric hand plane, collated screws, nails for nail guns
  3. Drill, impact driver, oscillating multi-tool, and more basics (stud finders, framing squares etc)
  4. Hand tools, including chisels, hammers, mallets, clamps, etc.
  5. Circular saw, jig saw, 18Ga nail gun, batteries, chargers, extension cords, spare blades.
  6. Trim router, attachments and bits
  7. Track saw and more batteries
  8. Framing nailer, charger and battery
  9. Mitre saw and stand (which I may not be able to fit into my car)

Not shown are the spirit levels, tripods, saw horses, track saw tracks, and working platforms.

I know I'm probably over-killing this, but having the right tool on hand for a job makes life so much easier!

Edited by patches

On 8/4/2021 at 12:05 AM, stefmeister said:

Glass fibre rockwool is what you need to absorb sound waves.

Egg cartons will only serve as diffraction panels, and are probably 100% useless inside a wall cavity. Diffraction panels serve to break up the normal diffraction patterns of sound waves, and their size only lend it to upper mid-high frequencies - thus reducing echoing and reverberation as well as phase delayed distortions, and are used inside the room.

For lower frequencies (ie. bass) you need adequate mass in order to absorb the energy of the wave, where heavier panels and rockwool traps work better. Foam will not be enough to effectively absorb any sound. 

As for wall material, if you're going plaster board or other panel route (like a floating room), the more the panels/boards are braced will also aid in transferring less energy into/out of the room, as heavier braced panels will require more energy to move the panel, thus shifting the resonant frequency into the higher spectrum.

This is the composition we'll be going for.

image.png.f715bcde2ce5829d08303ca5cc41ce87.png

Instead of the regular pink bats, we'll use the Silencer version, which I believe are more dense.

The 2 layers are plasterboard are offset by 600mm. only the outer later is taped and plastered.

Autex will then be added to the inside of the room

Not going t be a cheap exercise, but it's not my money :lol:

So this weekend was a bit of a bust. The timber shortage (particularly the pink treated framing timber) meant that despite "my apprentices" checking 3 suppliers, we couldn't get the materials needed to build the wall.

However, they were amped to build something, after all, half my garage was transported all the way to "site". So we bought some treated fencing timber, sketched a quick concept for an outdoor braai area, and commenced making sawdust and noise.

image.png.b72b30f9df4c7e844433578ed9f9775c.png

The appies hard at work (under supervision). Plumber butt-blurred for your protection.

image.png.98c8766732a13a1897636d071b323aa3.png

The Concept. Pine framing, to be clad with decking kwila (all treated). Cladding to extend up fence, and down to pavers. Left side of benchtop to be removable to reveal hidden Weber BabyQ. Right and left sides to have kwila-clad cupboard doors.

Not sure how it'll turn out, as I packed up my tools and left them to carry on with a circular saw, drill, hammer and nails. I think they'll miss the framing nailer the most, haha!

43 minutes ago, GrahamS2 said:

I was looking for a video on plane blade sharpening, and found such a good woodworking channel on YouTube. Not sure if it's been mentioned here before but this guy is brilliant - Matt Estlea https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxWzA3ZlYEOLr1JkKH0ZMyg

His website is also a good source of tips and tricks https://mattestlea.com/  

Yeah, he has some great vids. First one I saw of his was how to make an MFT style workbench using the UJK Parf Guide setup. Went down a youtube rabit-hole and next thing I'm watching him attempting to cut dovetails in under 3min.

4 hours ago, patches said:

Yeah, he has some great vids. First one I saw of his was how to make an MFT style workbench using the UJK Parf Guide setup. Went down a youtube rabit-hole and next thing I'm watching him attempting to cut dovetails in under 3min.

I've been in home quarantine for the past 10 days. Chisels and planes are all sharpened to perfection, and I'm set on becoming a dovetail master! 

Although I have little-to-no space in my garage for woodwork so most of it happens outside, I've still been pondering dust control options.

As most of y tools are mobile, and I've been slowly switching out to the battery version where I can, I decided to go with one of Makita's little 15L 36V (2x 18V) L-class HEPA  filter dust extractors.

Managed to get a barely used DVC154L for about half of new price.

MAKITA DVC154LZX AWS odkurzacz 36V 2x18V 8709349343 - Allegro.pl

What's pretty cool about the DVC154 (and newer DVC157) model is the addition of Makita's AWS (Auto-Start Wireless System). Bluetooth control that automatically turns the dust extractor on and off based on the use of the tool it's connected to.

Currently I only own 1 AWS enabled too (Makita Track Saw), but this new gadget/gimmick has me eyeing out the Makita 305mm 36V AWS mitre saw ???? (although at nearly R20,000 equiv for the kit, I may just hold off for a while)

In a world where money is no object I'd totally go for the Festool equivalents. I hear their dust extractors are class leading. But for now I'll give this little Makita one a go and see how it does.

The "HEPA" on these are all marketing.
We had a pharmaceutical client buy some of these HEPA filtered vacuums. We added the necessary ports to test them and they leaked like sieves. Such a farce.
For your needs, it will be fine, just keep those filters clean as a whistle as the fan specced are generally low pressure ones. The suction quickly disappears when the dust starts flying......

Edited by Steven Knoetze (sk27)

On 8/5/2021 at 10:08 AM, Jehosefat said:

Just getting in to the woodworking thing. Some wine racks and a bird feeder so far. All out of pallet wood with a touch of ply here and there.20210703_123818.jpg.f4f0b9b1ccfe1413859c0d6b6cd13ae4.jpg

20210717_154714.jpg.f34b96bf65bb16a48f8062fcb2266a9a.jpg

20210716_175424.jpg.5b3ca2ef1415071a6a1b8c4db2cd52b5.jpg

715172299_20210803_073632(002).jpg.4bb99ec91d0d5750eb281737802674e4.jpg

I remain intriqued by your picture with the Cape Parrot like bird on the stick...if you live in JHB it must be an escapee or a an escaped Conure, but the green cheecked conure has white around the eyes...

Do you perhpas know or do you just feed them?

10 hours ago, patches said:

Although I have little-to-no space in my garage for woodwork so most of it happens outside, I've still been pondering dust control options.

As most of y tools are mobile, and I've been slowly switching out to the battery version where I can, I decided to go with one of Makita's little 15L 36V (2x 18V) L-class HEPA  filter dust extractors.

Managed to get a barely used DVC154L for about half of new price.

MAKITA DVC154LZX AWS odkurzacz 36V 2x18V 8709349343 - Allegro.pl

What's pretty cool about the DVC154 (and newer DVC157) model is the addition of Makita's AWS (Auto-Start Wireless System). Bluetooth control that automatically turns the dust extractor on and off based on the use of the tool it's connected to.

Currently I only own 1 AWS enabled too (Makita Track Saw), but this new gadget/gimmick has me eyeing out the Makita 305mm 36V AWS mitre saw ???? (although at nearly R20,000 equiv for the kit, I may just hold off for a while)

In a world where money is no object I'd totally go for the Festool equivalents. I hear their dust extractors are class leading. But for now I'll give this little Makita one a go and see how it does.

You're a much bigger 'kit-slut' than I am, but I love your enthusiasm in procuring new tools!

7 hours ago, bertusras said:

You're a much bigger 'kit-slut' than I am, but I love your enthusiasm in procuring new tools!

I have an addiction and should probably seek professional help...

..but only after I work my way up to a Festool Domino ????