The Munga - The Toughest Race On Earth

nathrix

Since finishing the race on Saturday I've spent hours reading through these 90 odd pages. You guys are a special breed. Your commitment to this forum is no less intense than the guys and gals who entered the race. You are all a bunch of nutters as are the riders who entered the race. We make a good team.

A few words from the field as it were. Choice of bike. There have been suggestions that a cyclocross bike who be the best choice of bike. I don't agree. It may be faster on certain roads but the conditions overall make it too hard. I'm not absolutely certain but I think only one cyclocross bike finished the race and that was at the back.

You need to ride a bike that can keep you in the saddle for the longest time. It needs to be comfortable. I'm not suggesting La-Z-Boy comfort but you certainly don't want a bike that will hammer your hands, backside and body. I finished in 73 hours. 66 hours of that was spent moving. My bike allowed me to do that. I rode a hardtail but had big volume tyres (Scwhalbe Thunder Burt) and ran them soft (1.6 bar). I also ran my front shock very soft. I've had problems with CTS before and came out of this race with my hands in good shape.

So what's the best bike for this race? Short answer, the one you have. Set it up to give you the most comfortable ride possible. Remember, apart from a cyclocross bike which I don't recommend, it's not about the bike.

Thanks for sharing some of your experience with us and congratulations on an incredible feat of endurance and mental strength. It was an honour "dot-watching" you guys and girls.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Since finishing the race on Saturday I've spent hours reading through these 90 odd pages. You guys are a special breed. Your commitment to this forum is no less intense than the guys and gals who entered the race. You are all a bunch of nutters as are the riders who entered the race. We make a good team.

A few words from the field as it were. Choice of bike. There have been suggestions that a cyclocross bike who be the best choice of bike. I don't agree. It may be faster on certain roads but the conditions overall make it too hard. I'm not absolutely certain but I think only one cyclocross bike finished the race and that was at the back.

You need to ride a bike that can keep you in the saddle for the longest time. It needs to be comfortable. I'm not suggesting La-Z-Boy comfort but you certainly don't want a bike that will hammer your hands, backside and body. I finished in 73 hours. 66 hours of that was spent moving. My bike allowed me to do that. I rode a hardtail but had big volume tyres (Scwhalbe Thunder Burt) and ran them soft (1.6 bar). I also ran my front shock very soft. I've had problems with CTS before and came out of this race with my hands in good shape.

So what's the best bike for this race? Short answer, the one you have. Set it up to give you the most comfortable ride possible. Remember, apart from a cyclocross bike which I don't recommend, it's not about the bike.

Ok so you would not suggest I attempt this on my rigid SS , keeping in mind that I got a Brookes saddle on  :ph34r:

Congrats!

When you have had a couple of weeks to recover, could you possibly give us a nice long race report?

Edited by Pulse

Serious respect to all of these finishers.

The mind boggles. I know what I feel like after Transbaviaans. I can't even imagine repeating that effort for a further 4 days in a row.

But maybe one day....

I'll start on a race report today. Wil be posted on my blog: mikewoolnough.blogspot.co.za

Seriously.. well done.. all respect to all who entered and those who finished..

I'll start on a race report today. Wil be posted on my blog: mikewoolnough.blogspot.co.za

Slowbee will be ecstatic to hear about your intention ????

@ztangi

Wise words about bike and rubber choice

Congratulations

Rest up well

Edited by 'Dale

Well done Mike, to you and everybody else that attempted, and finished the Munga. That was an awesome ride. Serious respect and envy. Definitely one that I would love attempting.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Im looking forward to it, you have a wonderful way with words.

Perfect Mike

I really enjoy reading your stuff! I know you see yourself as a everyday rider, but you are a legend!

Really enjoyed following the event this year - again Alex has made a step up in a number of areas, I think he needs to be commended for again sticking to the hard way of putting on an event. I am sure he would like to make it 'bigger and better', but it has all sorts of inherent limitations, ie:

• Connectivity and communication - for a large part of that part of the world, the networks just dont exist.
  • The support stations are 'mense', they are hosts by nature, extending hospitality. They cant do big numbers.
  • The weather (heat) can easily wreak havoc, would be interesting to see the ER24 log this year, if its gets popular and unprepared folk (as Alex calls them) arrive, it could be disastrous
  • Being a point-to-point event over a long distance means a well strung out field - logistical challenge

Some observations from my side:

• In endurance races (see also RacetotheRock) - the ladies are real competitors - great to see.
  • For those of you who keep saying these guys are superhuman - you should read Mike Woolnough's blog, he came a close third this year aged 56, he's ridden a couple of other little races this year, he's just an ordinary guy who realised that ordinary can be quite competitive.
  • A dusty, dry field, with a simple track to the line is a fitting finale location.
  • Nearly 50% dnf rate this year - proper tough.
  • The bikehub remains the best place for a forum for an event of this nature - Alex embraced that early on. The gees was real, you don't need a production studio and fancy equipment to convey the reality, it's infectious.
  • 2017 will again see some names, (ex dopers incl), whatever....this is about the bike
  • the development category is real, these guys have got heart, some of those Exxarro bikes are from Epic 2012, hardtails that have been ridden into the ground, respect to those guys

Well done Alex and your team - roll on 2017. The Munga is real.

good points. I think a media team (can be a one man everything vibe) is required to really bring it to the masses realtime. Erik got some great shots, but they were far too intermittent and didn't really bring the story. I'm interested to see how the munga trail goes, as it has totally different logistical issues (400km on foot!).

I got quite excited when mike made his late charge going. I for one would like to submit this following adjustment to his website

post-1830-0-51636300-1481020343_thumb.png

Mike, Well done buddy!!!!!! I have the utmost respect for you.

I watched a short video that I think Nathrix post on twitter with an interview with you. You said your goal was 75 hours and last year you did 85 hours. So not only did you beat your goal time by 2 hours, you beat your PB by 12 hours.

Again, Well done.

good points. I think a media team (can be a one man everything vibe) is required to really bring it to the masses realtime. Erik got some great shots, but they were far too intermittent and didn't really bring the story. I'm interested to see how the munga trail goes, as it has totally different logistical issues (400km on foot!).

The logistics are challenging, by day 2 there is such a large gap between first and last rider that its impossible to cover everyone. To do so, you would probably have to break the field up into 3 sections with one person dedicated to each third. I was with Erik at one stage and when he headed south towards the front of the race, I went north to try catch riders further down the field. 

The next challenge is that between Britstown and Sutherland for example, there is 400KM with data coverage 10Km either side Loxton, and 10Km either side of Fraserburg so getting anything out on social media is not easy.

I see this as an opportunity for a Dimension Data or Telkom to come on board and sponsor Wi-Fi at the water points, most of these were situated on farms with power and one would assume some form of connectivity.