The Classics

'Dale

I read somewhere this morning that Julian Alaphillipe had a broken wheel, 3 bike changes and 6 punctures.

This got me thinking:

I assume with Spez making such a fuss with the launch of the new Tarmac last week, that JA and Sagan would be "forced" to ride it instead of the Diverge?

Anybody know what model bikes the Spez teams were on? Not sure whether the Tarmac would be harder on tyres to be honest. Might just be due to the tyres not being up to the challenge?

Edited by Swift&Aero

• Replies 7.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think it's to do with anything other than him making rash decisions and taking risks playing catch up trying to defend his title. These risks became exponential after the 1st mishap...

I don't think too many people would have beaten WvA. He wanted it and looked super strong. 3rd, 3rd, 1st.... What a legend

Really good to see actual racing this weekend. Personally wasn't a fan of the virtual racing so never followed it.

Can't wait for Milan San Remo next week. Got my seat saved.

ditto .. although they have cut out most of the coastal road to San Remo from Genoa so as not to interfere with beach traffic ... they take the beach rituals seriously there this time of the year,.

I read somewhere this morning that Julian Alaphillipe had a broken wheel, 3 bike changes and 6 punctures. 

Overall 160 riders started and 42 finished. 

Thats mental

Some notes that had a big effect on the day:

Month of the race - typically this is held in winter so the rain comes down and the tractors that use that road and gravel daily actually impact the surface making it alot smoother and manageable. 

It was now in summer and there hadn't been rain there for I think about 2 months, the tractors damaged the dry roads (expected) and it was a mess.

It was also 40'c - many riders or teams didn't do heat acclimation protocols leading to event as they were coming from cooler temps like in the teens. Big effect physiologically.

The last factor is and you can speak to any rider there, the race was FULL GAS from the gun. Even Formolo, Pogacar when they came back here to Sestriere said it was just FULL GAS all day. Add in the heat and very bad roads and all hell is going to break loose.

However the racing was so good, well done to all who finished.

This got me thinking:

I assume with Spez making such a fuss with the launch of the new Tarmac last week, that JA and Sagan would be "forced" to ride it instead of the Diverge?

Anybody know what model bikes the Spez teams were on? Not sure whether the Tarmac would be harder on tyres to be honest. Might just be due to the tyres not being up to the challenge?

New S-Works with some adjustments for the day. remember that the gravel sections are short in comparison to the overall route and tar sections. A normal road bike is better overall. 

New S-Works with some adjustments for the day. remember that the gravel sections are short in comparison to the overall route and tar sections. A normal road bike is better overall. 

General question, because you'll no doubt know. What choices do these riders have in their gear? I've often wondered how much is dictated to them through sponsorship's and therefore boss's orders.

Frame make is obviously a given, can they choose a specific model? 

Can you choose your own shoe brand? I only wonder this because I can't be the only person with stupid wide feet out there...

Helmets I often see different models in a team, same brand obv.

Disk or rim brakes? 

Wheel make is sponsored, can they choose depths, widths?

Edit: Saddles?

Edited by Chris_

This got me thinking:

I don't think they'd ever want a Diverge. The new Diverge geo is far from ideal for a world tour racer. The Roubaix would get picked before it but even then, the Roubaix only really gets raced at Paris-Roubaix where some riders are probably being forced. In previous editions, riders have locked out the FutureShock with a custom block. Now it comes with a lockout at least.

General question, because you'll no doubt know. What choices do these riders have in their gear? I've often wondered how much is dictated to them through sponsorship's and therefore boss's orders.

Frame make is obviously a given, can they choose a specific model?

Can you choose your own shoe brand? I only wonder this because I can't be the only person with stupid wide feet out there...

Helmets I often see different models in a team, same brand obv.

Disk or rim brakes?

Wheel make is sponsored, can they choose depths, widths?

Edit: Saddles?

You are only allowed to use team sponsored equipment, with that being said you are free to use whichever model helmet, tyres etc you feel is good for you. So for example we sponsored by Met helmets and they do 2 different TT helmets - a rider can choose which he feels best works for him per TT. There is r&d with technical and performance etc.

However sometimes it is dictated to a point on a frame if there is say 4 frames available depending on the rider a frame will be designated to them.

For Strada for example I highly doubt any rider would of wanted a Diverge the frame isn’t aggressive enough at all and by running 30mm tyres this is more than adequate for the gravel sections.

Disc or not - this is alittle different off you look the top 2 bikes were not discs.

If a manufacture brings out discs they want to sell the bike so have the teams ride them. But you can have that option as we do now going forward.

Hope this answered your question?

You are only allowed to use team sponsored equipment, with that being said you are free to use whichever model helmet, tyres etc you feel is good for you. So for example we sponsored by Met helmets and they do 2 different TT helmets - a rider can choose which he feels best works for him per TT. There is r&d with technical and performance etc.

However sometimes it is dictated to a point on a frame if there is say 4 frames available depending on the rider a frame will be designated to them.

For Strada for example I highly doubt any rider would of wanted a Diverge the frame isn’t aggressive enough at all and by running 30mm tyres this is more than adequate for the gravel sections.

Disc or not - this is alittle different off you look the top 2 bikes were not discs.

If a manufacture brings out discs they want to sell the bike so have the teams ride them. But you can have that option as we do now going forward.

Thanks for the insight.

I just noted that Sagan and JA were nowhere to be seen and I just remembered they ride the Tarmac, so wondered if that played a part.

But then, Max rode it onto the podium, so "it's not about the bike". ;)

PS. Congrats on the 2nd place by Formolo BTW.

post-27827-0-15123300-1596446942_thumb.png

Edited by Swift&Aero

There was that whole story about INEOS riding lightweight wheels last year and they were not a team sponsor. Did they find some loophole like they always do?

I listened to Mitch Docker’s podcast this morning, where he speaks to Luke (Durbridge).

This was Mitch’s first SB, and wanted to know what to expect. He only had Flanders and Roubaix as a comparison, and Durbridge said that it was better on a road bike than a cross-type setup. 28C tyres, 36-28 was good enough gearing for the climbs. They still need a big chainring for the downhills, but requires feathering the back brakes more to control the speed around corners on the descents. I guess this is where those on disks thought they would get an advantage.

The climbers that like to stand on a climb, will suffer more than the guys that can grind the steeper sections in the saddle (more traction on the rear wheels). He said there are two long sectors that will determine the eventual group of winners:

San Martin in Grania (ends on 63.5 to go. 9.5Km long), and Monte Sante Marie, aka Sector Cancellara, ends with 42.5Km to go, 11.Km). This is the one that Fuglsang attacked on, and where a lot of the peloton split up on. It wasn’t (normally) difficult terrain, but the undulations and gradients on dirt won’t allow those puncher-type riders to stand and climb/attack - not my words, but Turbo-Durbo’s words.

There was that whole story about INEOS riding lightweight wheels last year and they were not a team sponsor. Did they find some loophole like they always do?

There were some unhappy parties over that but typically shimano don’t give free product if you want to use it believe it or not you pay for the team but it’s at a very reduced cost or a split deal.

I don’t know the inner workings on that but I know that 1 part was happy the other wasn’t at all.

There were some unhappy parties over that but typically shimano don’t give free product if you want to use it believe it or not you pay for the team but it’s at a very reduced cost or a split deal.

I don’t know the inner workings on that but I know that 1 part was happy the other wasn’t at all.

Are you heading to Milan now? Weather looking a bit kinder for Wed, but cranking up again for the weekend.

I don't know how these guys will recover properly from that heat in such a short time, crazy

Are you heading to Milan now? Weather looking a bit kinder for Wed, but cranking up again for the weekend.

I don't know how these guys will recover properly from that heat in such a short time, crazy

No, I’m in Sestriere at present for another 3 days as we had a 3 week camp here for the Tour team, then I head to Dauphine and then the Tour. Hope my Bullterrier doesn’t attack me when I get home after the Tour and my wife doesn’t call the police when I walk in.