Anyone using Zwift?

So i finally got the time to ride Alpe du Zwift.

1h6min21sec @ Avg HR of 72%

the HR is low as i did not know how i would handle grinding for 1 hour straight. was able to lift the power slightly for the last 10min. 

its tough work!

next target is to break 1 hour

Edited by Furbz

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So i finally got the time to ride Alpe du Zwift.

1h6min21sec @ Avg HR of 72%

the HR is low as i did not know how i would handle grinding for 1 hour straight. was able to lift the power slightly for the last 10min. 

its tough work!

next target is to break 1 hour

Ave w/kg for the effort ?

Ave w/kg for the effort ?

bang on 3w/kg.

in theory i should be able to do 3.4w/kg but i have never done my actual FTP for a full hour

new update seems to be fantastic.

i now no longer struggle to pick up my sensors.

AMEN!

Performance on the latest update is definitely an improvement, much smoother on my mid-range tablet than previously.

All my sensors pick up (all the BLE ones at least, haven't tested ANT+ recently), but I need to choose between my trainer and power meter. If I don't connect to the trainer, I can get stable cadence and power from my pedals; but as soon as I connect to the trainer Zwift stops reading from the power meter.

I guess it wouldn't bother me so much if I didn't look at the power data from the pedals on my Lezyne. It is still as good workout - just feel a bit guilty climbing comfortably at "250 - 260", when the pedals show 210-220.

Agreed the new update rocks! 

Re: your connectivity "issue". 

If I may offer up a few possible solutions bear with me for a second...

Which trainer are you using? I'm going on the assumption that it's both smart and in game controllable. 

If you use ERG mode during workouts zwift will give you the option to "powermatch" which basically means it uses your powermeters readings to control the resistance instead of the the trainers power to control the resistance (this is the default setting). 

Sounds silly but have you tried re-selecting your "power source" option to the pedals after pairing with the trainer? If yes then maybe try unpair then pair again to your pedals after you have successfully paired with the trainer. 

If you still have no luck then I have heard stories of a limit to the number of devices that can be connected through bluetooth. Perhaps you've reached that limited then zwift auto unpairs your powermeter to pair with the trainer. To get around this try selecting your pedals as the power source through the zwift companion app. 

Lastly, if you have an ANT+ try pairing through that and see if the problem persists. 

Let us know if you come right. That wattage discrepancy would drive me nuts. 

Performance on the latest update is definitely an improvement, much smoother on my mid-range tablet than previously.

All my sensors pick up (all the BLE ones at least, haven't tested ANT+ recently), but I need to choose between my trainer and power meter. If I don't connect to the trainer, I can get stable cadence and power from my pedals; but as soon as I connect to the trainer Zwift stops reading from the power meter.

I guess it wouldn't bother me so much if I didn't look at the power data from the pedals on my Lezyne. It is still as good workout - just feel a bit guilty climbing comfortably at "250 - 260", when the pedals show 210-220.

Agreed the new update rocks! 

Re: your connectivity "issue". 

If I may offer up a few possible solutions bear with me for a second...

Which trainer are you using? I'm going on the assumption that it's both smart and in game controllable. 

If you use ERG mode during workouts zwift will give you the option to "powermatch" which basically means it uses your powermeters readings to control the resistance instead of the the trainers power to control the resistance (this is the default setting). 

Sounds silly but have you tried re-selecting your "power source" option to the pedals after pairing with the trainer? If yes then maybe try unpair then pair again to your pedals after you have successfully paired with the trainer. 

If you still have no luck then I have heard stories of a limit to the number of devices that can be connected through bluetooth. Perhaps you've reached that limited then zwift auto unpairs your powermeter to pair with the trainer. To get around this try selecting your pedals as the power source through the zwift companion app. 

Lastly, if you have an ANT+ try pairing through that and see if the problem persists. 

Let us know if you come right. That wattage discrepancy would drive me nuts. 

I tested various combinations of selecting the power meter (P1 pedals) and trainer (Tacx Vortex Smart), though I have not checked if I get different options during a workout - I'll give it a try.

As for the number of connections, it appears to be a Zwift specific issue, as I can connect even more devices at the same time using Rouvy (HR, P1 left and right for power separately, plus cadence from the pedals, and the trainer) on the same tablet.

Also need to test ANT+ again, it is not officially supported I think (on Android at least) - I've been sticking to bluetooth on the tablet, as I can connect either the charger or the ANT+ dongle, and Zwift understandably is rather heavy on battery.

Damn okay was hoping the solution would an easy one. 

The Bluetooth connectivity issue is zwift specific you are right. 

Re: the single port conundrum

Maybe it's worth looking into an extension that still allows you to charge but have the ant+ dongle connected as well. 

Something like this might work? 

https://www.takealot.com/orico-4-port-usb3-0-tablet-stand-hub-black/PLID51986929?gclid=Cj0KCQjw6fvdBRCbARIsABGZ-vQ6CRGr1iHEyrWSIV69B48fwyOGGrt3RnKP3rjwvoE-cgUj-zaah7oaAlT7EALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds 

I'm sure cheaper and more applicable options exist but just throwing ideas out there. 

Hopefully the fellow zwiftoholics might offer up some of there hacks. 

If it's to much of a mission then I suppose a few extra watts are always welcome. 

I tested various combinations of selecting the power meter (P1 pedals) and trainer (Tacx Vortex Smart), though I have not checked if I get different options during a workout - I'll give it a try.

As for the number of connections, it appears to be a Zwift specific issue, as I can connect even more devices at the same time using Rouvy (HR, P1 left and right for power separately, plus cadence from the pedals, and the trainer) on the same tablet.

Also need to test ANT+ again, it is not officially supported I think (on Android at least) - I've been sticking to bluetooth on the tablet, as I can connect either the charger or the ANT+ dongle, and Zwift understandably is rather heavy on battery.

bang on 3w/kg.

in theory i should be able to do 3.4w/kg but i have never done my actual FTP for a full hour

Yes would think it would be very tough , personally haven't worked up the courage yet to try hold FTP for a hour on a IDT a yet 

Damn okay was hoping the solution would an easy one. 

The Bluetooth connectivity issue is zwift specific you are right. 

Re: the single port conundrum

Maybe it's worth looking into an extension that still allows you to charge but have the ant+ dongle connected as well. 

Something like this might work? 

https://www.takealot.com/orico-4-port-usb3-0-tablet-stand-hub-black/PLID51986929?gclid=Cj0KCQjw6fvdBRCbARIsABGZ-vQ6CRGr1iHEyrWSIV69B48fwyOGGrt3RnKP3rjwvoE-cgUj-zaah7oaAlT7EALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds 

I'm sure cheaper and more applicable options exist but just throwing ideas out there. 

Hopefully the fellow zwiftoholics might offer up some of there hacks. 

If it's to much of a mission then I suppose a few extra watts are always welcome. 

Or this: https://www.takealot.com/smart-sync-charge-hub/PLID52292313

Not too expensive, so could try it. Not sure if my tablet supports the specific mode that allows using OTG and charging at the same time, but only one way to find out.

HdB that actually looks like it would work better much better. 

Before you do buy it, I would first check that you can indeed select the pedals as power and trainer as controllable separately when pairing through ant+ (sure battery life won't be an issue if you are just checking the connection). Otherwise it's back to square one but now you have a fancy looking but redundant appendage. 

Ride on!  

Or this: https://www.takealot.com/smart-sync-charge-hub/PLID52292313

Not too expensive, so could try it. Not sure if my tablet supports the specific mode that allows using OTG and charging at the same time, but only one way to find out.

Hi zwiftoholics, 

Just remembered there's a zwift subscription increase to look forward to next month of +-R70 p/m by my calculations. 

Just reminding those who might have forgotten and like me thought the day would never come. 

Fun times ahead but to be honest i'm happy with how zwift has continuously updated, expanded and improved. 

Ride on!  

Hi zwiftoholics, 

Just remembered there's a zwift subscription increase to look forward to next month of +-R70 p/m by my calculations. 

Just reminding those who might have forgotten and like me thought the day would never come. 

Fun times ahead but to be honest i'm happy with how zwift has continuously updated, expanded and improved. 

Ride on!  

Arrghh..brings up the conundrum I have been battling for a while. Is it really still worth it? Doesn't anyone find that it becomes too repetitive? Let's be honest..there are 4 worlds of which a certain two is repeated 80% of the time. In terms of routes you are therefore quite limited. Sure there are lotsa add-ons and features to make it more interesting. Just wondering if it is still worth it. More routes would have me become a life member. Think Rouvy and/or Tacx apps with a ton of real life videos are becoming more appealing (and yes they will now be cheaper than Zwift!)

Arrghh..brings up the conundrum I have been battling for a while. Is it really still worth it? Doesn't anyone find that it becomes too repetitive? Let's be honest..there are 4 worlds of which a certain two is repeated 80% of the time. In terms of routes you are therefore quite limited. Sure there are lotsa add-ons and features to make it more interesting. Just wondering if it is still worth it. More routes would have me become a life member. Think Rouvy and/or Tacx apps with a ton of real life videos are becoming more appealing (and yes they will now be cheaper than Zwift!)

I find it safer and thus cheaper than being out on the road during the week. 

NY will be here soon as well as the online shop.

Are you on level 25 yet?

Have the Tron bike?

Done all the challenges?

The racing for me personally is good training.  

NY will be here soon as well as the online shop.

Are you on level 25 yet?

Have the Tron bike?

Done all the challenges?

The racing for me personally is good training.  

I did the full Everest challenge but never got the Tron bike

Hi zwiftoholics, 

Ride on!  

This is only relevant if you had subscribed before November last year, and means that you go up to the same rate as everyone who signed up after November 2017.  So it's not an across the board price increase.