Anyone using Zwift?

Do a bit research into "polarized training" to get some more insight. 

All the best out there in the desert. 

^^^^ This... I've had a few weeks where I've only had the opportunity to do a 45min HIIT session every other day or so, then when I hit the tar again, I feel noticeably stronger

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I read somewhere yesterday that the Kickr/Core is not compatible with Campagnolo 10-speed, not sure about the H2 or Direto but I wouldn't be surprised if it is the same problem.

Anyone know if it is possible to wangle a Shimano cassette with different spacers, to get similar spacing to older Campy?

Upgrading to 11-speed Centaur (or dare I say it, changing to more affordable Shimano 105...) adds quite a bit to an already expensive purchase, so I'd prefer to avoid that for now.

Not related specifically to Zwift, but close enough I guess?

I read somewhere yesterday that the Kickr/Core is not compatible with Campagnolo 10-speed, not sure about the H2 or Direto but I wouldn't be surprised if it is the same problem.

Anyone know if it is possible to wangle a Shimano cassette with different spacers, to get similar spacing to older Campy?

Upgrading to 11-speed Centaur (or dare I say it, changing to more affordable Shimano 105...) adds quite a bit to an already expensive purchase, so I'd prefer to avoid that for now.

I ended up buying a cheap old alu bike with 10sp Shimano 105 off the hub.  Was told there's no way to make the Campy 10sp groupset on my Bianchi work with the Neo, and didn't want to subject my Spez carbon frame to indoor training.

Between my wife and myself that bike has taken a sweaty sweaty hammering - so I don't regret the purchase one bit.  It's on its 3rd chain already.

The Bianchi and Spez only ever ride outside and both are still looking new.

Hi HdB, 

That's quite a technical question you have there but i'm sure there are some guru that my be able to give a definitive answer. 

Just to make sure, you don't have any of the above mentioned trainers but are looking to get one but want some insight into which one would be the most 10 speed campy friendly as that's the bike you'll be riding on the trainer? 

Off the top of my head (somebody please correct me if i'm wrong) you'll need a specific freehub for all of the above mentioned trainers. However, the Kickrs born in 2017 and 2018 (i'm guessing that means the Kickr 3) like you said won't fit the campy freehub. 

That being said I know there is such a thing as a 10 shimano cassette (fits a standard freehub) but its made with campy spacing between the sprockets. No idea how you would get your hands on one but they do exist. 

Also I know of few folk who run a standard 10 speed shimano casette with their campy 10 speed drivetrains and have had no issues whatsoever. Okay it may be a little noisy but nobody has an issue with the chain slipping (just need to index the gears correctly before you start hammering away). 

What I would do....

Direto with a shimano 10 speed cassette and a normal 1.8mm spacer. Play around with the indexing, turn the music up and crank out the watts. 

Interesting to hear what other opinions will be. 

Keep us posted! 

Just to make sure, you don't have any of the above mentioned trainers but are looking to get one but want some insight into which one would be the most 10 speed campy friendly as that's the bike you'll be riding on the trainer? 

Correct - I currently have a Tacx Vortex, which does the job (power reading is known to be inaccurate, but gives a good workout), but I am rather tired of the noise.

So I'm saving up for a Direto or better. I saw (but did not hear ;) ) the 2018 Kickr at the Amashova expo, what a massive difference in noise level compared to the Vortex!

I probably won't be buying until mid-Dec, just starting to weigh up my options

A separate bike would probably be the best option long term, but yet another bike in the lounge might not sit well with wifey :) Perhaps in a year or so, might have an extra room, then it would work.

Thanks for the tips so far!

tried the longer FTP test after flying to and from CT the day before.

had to bail out on the effort. had no go!

We are over complicating things!

Tacx sell a freehub body for the Flux and Neo

https://tacx.com/product/campagnolo-body/

Wahoo sell one as well, but it is only compatible with Kicker 1 and 2 (2014 and 2016 releases).  So won't work with Kickr17, Kickr18 or Core

https://www.wahoofitness.com/devices/bike-trainers/campagnolo-freehub-for-kickr-power-trainer

Elite are an Italian company, so the Direto is compatible with Campy 8 to 11 speed out of the box

http://www.elite-it.com/en/products/us/trainers/interactive/direto

tried the longer FTP test after flying to and from CT the day before.

had to bail out on the effort. had no go!

I've only ever done that once, was farked before the test started. 

• 2 weeks later...

Received the subscription increase email yesterday, quite steep (from R155 to R230) as discussed elsewhere but I will renew. Still think it is worthwhile  :thumbup:

Received the subscription increase email yesterday, quite steep (from R155 to R230) as discussed elsewhere but I will renew. Still think it is worthwhile  :thumbup:

Over the weekend Zwift deducted R145.00 from my account for November subscription. When is the increase effective date?

Who is currently using the android setup? I am moving from ios to android soon,just wanna get some feedback please

I am, though I have not ridden on Zwift since the latest update was released. For the most part it works quite well. Not all the sensors I have on my bike want to play together nicely with Zwift (I have to pick between them or the trainer, basically), and in the forums it looks like some smart trainers don't always work.

Performance on my tablet varies, the new NYC course seemed a bit more choppy than what I remember from the other courses, could be my imagination though. I have a new tablet on the way, which should have muuuuuch better performance. What phone/tablet will you use?

Who is currently using the android setup? I am moving from ios to android soon,just wanna get some feedback please

I use android with Bluetooth dongle connected to pc. Its pretty straight forward you connect smart trainer , heart rate etc to your phone and then pair your phone with your with your pc. Then open zwift on your phone and then open zwift in your pc it twill then pair your trainer to your pc via the phone app

I use android with Bluetooth dongle connected to pc. Its pretty straight forward you connect smart trainer , heart rate etc to your phone and then pair your phone with your with your pc. Then open zwift on your phone and then open zwift in your pc it twill then pair your trainer to your pc via the phone app

I've had no luck pairing devices via the companion app on my phone, might be a limitation with the current Android beta version of Zwift on the tablet though. But, I don't really need it to be able to ride - the trainer and HR strap picks up fine on the tablet.

I have not used Zwift on the PC. Perhaps if I have a separate room just for training some day; but I am not carrying my PC to the lounge every time I want to ride ;)