Statement regarding cancellation of the 40th Cape Town Cycle Tour from David Bellairs

News bot

I am not interested in a refund, so I have no problems with the T&C.

What I am interested in is riding the CTCT - twice. If conditions do not allow for it in 2017 then they should make good on what I paid for in 2018.

I also spent a fair bit getting to the race. While I am not looking for a refund for flights /hotels - the organizers need to allow all entrants that did collect their race packs (implying we did show up for the race) to give us a place for next years race.

It's a bull**** excuse if they say expenses were paid hence no refunds , I get that expenses were incurred - no doubt about that - but are you telling me these guys don't have Insurance cover to mitigate against these types of eventualities. In any case , a big wake up call. I may never do non-local races again.

• Replies 324
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, I imagined that, but just wanted to be sure as obviously I am far away, I think people will accept it if the only reason was the wind, no one can foresee that, but from what I read here there were other issues as well which may leave folk with a feeling of an unresolved issue.

And perhaps the reason why the organisers downplay the protests somewhat. It may open a door for requests for refunds if the protests were the only reason for cancellation and they did nothing to prevent the disruption. it sounds as if the protest was intended to disrupt the race, pre- planned, and had nothing to do with the fires but instead about land.

But more factors were in play as already mentioned.

I get the riders' frustration even if they don't blame anyone.

For us who live out of Cape Doctor land entering the CTCC is a gamble. The outcome of the gamble is for the entrants account. I took the gamble in 2009 and 2010 and will not throw the dice again.

The shortened race again highlighted the gamble.

Should the race have continued and cyclist injured, the organizers would face law suits and and not forgetting angry hubbers posting angry insults at the organizers.

It is a beautiful race to do and if I lived in Cape Town I would enter every year cause all it would cost me is race entry.

Don't be a sore loser when a gamble does not go your way.

Will be back to ride best bits of the route, won't be wasting money on this race again.

See you at Amashova

Were you down here too

Like Spidey?

Whether unrest (distressed communities) or hail stones, the call for safety is the highest

And therefore no refunds under the safety clause

I can understand that, politically, it is important the CTCT peeps have to tread carefully

It's a tough time out there in terms of public relations and all that

Also a critical alliance with the City to sustain

To all those that went out the extra mile to do the 55km mtb last weekend, even tho it was very difficult for most, some of us pushed the extra mile to go for that special medal.......

What happens to this now. Do I still get mine???

I was in one of the first 3 batches to go, and yes wind was insane at the civic center, but after that it was perfectly manageable. I don't buy the wind story. 

It's a real pity it had to get cancelled and some people are losing big time. My mate came down to do his first CTCT and only got 19km in. 7k spent on lodging, flights etc. Gets expensive for a 19km coffee ride.

I really hope the organizers can at least meet us half way with the 2018 entries, but won't hold my breath for it.

Whether unrest (distressed communities) or hail stones, the call for safety is the highest

And therefore no refunds under the safety clause

Agree Dale. Safety considerations and financial considerations should never compete.

Organisers cannot be held hostage by finances not to make a safety call.

I have no problem forfeiting my entry fees today

I was in one of the first 3 batches to go, and yes wind was insane at the civic center, but after that it was perfectly manageable. I don't buy the wind story.

Very high wind speeds were also measured on Chappies. Organisers wouldn't take us through the worst part only to cancel

Edited by Skubarra

To all those that went out the extra mile to do the 55km mtb last weekend, even tho it was very difficult for most, some of us pushed the extra mile to go for that special medal.......

What happens to this now. Do I still get mine???

I doubt it. Would've been my 5th combi medal. As a side thought the simonsberg conservancy has become barely usable as farm land, no where near the awesome terrain of its former 5yr ago self. I'm still coughing up dust from last weekend ...

I think the organisers should settle whatever debt they incurred, and then whatever is left over split between everyone who has entered. I mean after all, the event didnt start, lots of people were still home and didnt even leave to get to the start line.

But yes, I can well imaging some inexperienced cyclists getting blow off chappies.

Edited by Eddy Gordo

I think the organisers should settle whatever debt they incurred, and then whatever is left over split between everyone who has entered. I mean after all, the event didnt start, lots of people were still home and didnt even leave to get to the start line.

But yes, I can well imaging some inexperienced cyclists getting blow off chappies.

It will mean closure and financial ruin for all the charities that are beneficiaries of the CTCT Trust. My view would be a guaranteed entry and discounted entry fee would work well. It can then be planned for ito Trust distributions etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I doubt it. Would've been my 5th combi medal. As a side thought the simonsberg conservancy has become barely usable as farm land, no where near the awesome terrain of its former 5yr ago self. I'm still coughing up dust from last weekend ...

We can be lucky....Some parts of the race had wind and other parts had WATER...now can you imagine, I wonder why the race wasnt cancelled

It will mean closure and financial ruin for all the charities that are beneficiaries of the CTCT Trust. My view would be a guaranteed entry and discounted entry fee would work well. It can then be planned for ito Trust distributions etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

True, surely there are funds after all these are settled.