[Event] Cape Town Cycle Tour 2018

Pure Savage

This is exactly why I arranged to go for a reasonably easy ride with a buddy on Friday morning. Over Malanshoogte and back, and then up Vissershok. That way, I felt at least if the CTCT was cancelled or shortened again, my weekend would not be a complete disappointment.

In the end I enjoyed that ride tremendously, and will probably make it a permanent part of my Argus weekend.

Even with a catastrophic drought, the scenery is still far better than Bloem. You lucky b...

EXACTLY!

Enjoy every moment.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ha ha. We didn't use all our energy to bridge the gap. There was plenty more energy when we made the catch. We rode into the back of 1D at about Edinburgh Drive, and then managed to work our way to the front by the Blue Route. Then we pretty much played Pacman on the front with anyone who wanted to help out up front. But ask any 1D riders, we sure as hell weren't wheelsucking... In fact, I'd say we helped more than a few riders achieve a dream time.

There were about 6-8 riders in 1D who were damn strong and happy to push with us and keep the tempo, but Paris and I were on a mission and did most of the pacemaking. I think we dropped the bunch up Smits, Chappies and Suikers. We were caught again every time. We weren't trying to breakaway, just have a good day out. I think we caught the 1A bunch by the end.

The plan was just to be in front down Hospital Bend and also past Paradise Motors, where I've been caught out in the pro bunches a few times. Never crashed, mind you, but have witnessed carnage there. So we didn't want any of that. The real race is this weekend  :whistling:

Obviously, we abandoned the plan completely by the time we hit the Blue Route and the red mist descended. Stoked to see a few very capable riders alongside us and we kinda decided to keep on ripping to see what happened.

What a day, though. Easily one of the most fun days on a road bike. Still not quite mountain biking but you can't beat the Fun Ride World Champs to keep the skinny wheel stoke high.

That said, even one fatality at a race that is all about fun is too many. Three is just ghastly. RIP.

This story made me re arrange my Epic fantasy team :o ... Good Luck with the week ahead guys, ill be on Table Mountain cheering for you

If it had been cancelled I would have been disappointed (would have been the second time I'd tried and failed to do the race) but the trip would still have been worth it to watch the MTB world cup on Saturday and see some friends who stay down there.

To all the guys in 1J, how did it feel to have a lady lead you up Chappies and Suikerbossie?

I wonder if that was my girlfriend :)  Blonde lady, white top?  She was riding amongst the 1J &1K's and did 3:14.  Apparently rode strong on Chappies and Suikerbossie.

why would it be any different to having a dude at the front, apart from bravado and misplaced ego?

Lighten the f up sourpuss

Edited by Spinnekop

This is exactly why I arranged to go for a reasonably easy ride with a buddy on Friday morning. Over Malanshoogte and back, and then up Vissershok. That way, I felt at least if the CTCT was cancelled or shortened again, my weekend would not be a complete disappointment.

In the end I enjoyed that ride tremendously, and will probably make it a permanent part of my Argus weekend.

Even with a catastrophic drought, the scenery is still far better than Bloem. You lucky b...

What kind of rational person thought it might be cancelled or shortened?

why would it be any different to having a dude at the front, apart from bravado and misplaced ego?

One thing is certain, I have been humbled on at least 3 occasions by some seriously strong ladies on their bicycles. Have learnt my lesson since then, well, sort of.

Gender is not a reliable indicator of somebody's abilities, yet most of us have preconceived ideas which thankfully gets challenged by some great individuals. (Same goes for Race and all the other attributes that is supposed to define you)

In my opinion, it is part of how we function to try and put people and things in categories and label them with the same abilities. The work comes in to look past your preconceived ideas and see the individual behind it. (Philosophical, I know, just had my 3rd Cuppa for the day so I feel energized)

Fact remains, I will still be caught off guard by a lady that out-sprints me on a flat finish, but I will not feel threatened by that and will applaud her capabilities.

What kind of rational person thought it might be cancelled or shortened?

I didn't expect to ride a shortened one in 2015, or stand on the start line last year, expecting it to be cancelled or shortened.

My point of view was, should somehow a worst case scenario occur again, I'd at least have some kind of backup (or in this case, preemptive) plan. Not sure how that is not rational?

Yeah, I do need to lose a bit more weight... Thanks for the tip!

on the subject of weight loss, its amazing how much weight plays a role when coming down a hill.

I'm a hefty 85kg, my dad is a light weight, probably around 60-65kg. I found myself having to brake freewheeling down hill in order for him to stay with me. Even if I let him pass and open a gap and then let the brakes go, it doesnt take long and I'm coming past him again.

We will be checking wheel bearings as soon as we can, but the wheels feel like they spin freely enough.

YEAR MEN WOMEN TOTAL % women 2018 20665 5582 26247 21% 2017 wind   2016 22728 6153 28881 21% 2015 24689 7439 32128 23% 2014 24539 6686 31225 21% 2013 24685 6981 31666 22% 2012 23448 6393 29841 21% 2011 22557 6145 28702 21% 2010 22143 5892 28035 21% 2009 20650 4897 25547 19% 2008 22101 6207 28308 22% 2007 22044 6327 28371 22% 2006 21666 5907 27573 21%

this is for finishers, so i would guess that the proportion of finishers on a good day like 2018 would be high.

definitely a drop in numbers this year, but almost positive there will be more back