[Event] The Munga MTB 2017

Slowbee

This whole debate about costs......Well, it is what it is and there will be those that can afford it, those mad enough to do it but its a bit tight will find a way to get it and then there will be those where as the debate shows, it is just too overwhelmingly expensive. BUT it is what it is and it is there for the taking. Those that really want to do it will just do it or find a way to do it!.I'm one of those that could be trying to find a way to do it if I'm set on it. (I would love to do this Munga)

I've done RASA and it is expensive (but worth every cent!!) but here are some stats I sort of put together...

Assuming you would be making use of the max time permitted............ 

The Munga 1070km (5 days) = R18k (R16.82p/km) - Unsupported (R3600p/day)

The Freedom Challenge Race Across South Africa 2300km (26 days) = R35k (R15.21p/km) - Unsupported  (R1346.15 p/day)

The Freedom Challenge race to Rhodes 475km (7 days) = R9200 (R19.36p/km) - Unsupported (R1314.28 p/day)

The Freedom Challenge race to Cradock 575km (6 days) = R8700 (R15.13p/km) - Unsupported (R1450 p/day)

The Freedom Challenge race to Willowmore 554km (6 days) = R8700 (15.70p/km) - Unsupported (R1450 p/day)

:whistling:

Edited by TrailWarrior

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

agreed. and the $1m was about R10m when it was announced mid 2014...now it's closer to R14m!

I don't know how these sort of deals work out, but you could get some sort of return for a really far out race like if you could entice sauser and lakata rocking up with a big carrot.

And in five years time it becomes of similar ilk to the Epic....careful what you wish for......

and then everyone whines about the Munga 

Guys remember one oke rode the event on a fatbike WTF and there was a single speed.

Now there is Big Balls.

Well done on your ride Taito!

Speaking of big balls, I hope everyone is aware where the term Munga comes from!

Race was originally going to be next to railway line that runs down to Sishen and name comes from Ironmonger I think. 

I attended the original launch before the sponsor withdrew. 

What makes this attractive is not the fact that we may get big name riders competing for a massive amount of money but rather that you get ordinary guys and gals doing what we consider impossible.  

Well done on your ride Taito!

Speaking of big balls, I hope everyone is aware where the term Munga comes from!

So where does the name come from?

I get gatvol after 5hrs

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

I finished the Cullinan2Tonteldoos ride this year (24hr/265km). Must say after riding 19hrs on the MTB, I was gatvol!! So massive respect to the guys and girls who finished or even attempted the Munga. After 200km you start wondering what the fark you are doing, hahaha.

You can shift your ass on the saddle as many times as you want, you aint going to get a comfy seat!

What makes this attractive is not the fact that we may get big name riders competing for a massive amount of money but rather that you get ordinary guys and gals doing what we consider impossible.  

Spot on!!!!

Ja, but. if it wants to be the "toughest race on earth" then you need the pros there drilling the pace. As hard as the route is, it sure ain't the toughest race course on earth.

Similar issue with Epic, KV would love to have had it as a pro only off road TdF, but there was just no way to do it without 400 average Joe Public teams riding. Either way I don't think the race will stay as is, there will be some tweaks for sure!

Apparently Karina is riding with takkies, no cleats! Not sure that was a wise decision? Not sure of her riding experience etc....but that decision alone has cost her many hours easily!

Anyway, she is allowed to continue and finish...just not sure there will be anyone at the finish line. Apparently her husband is accompanying her since yesterday....so she's not "alone".

Of course hubland is there too....and maybe some will be able to welcome her at the finish. She surely deserves it, despite not making the cut.

Yup, Karina called it. Obviously in car with hubby.

RDK went straight down Church...like yesterday some other riders.

Hopefully they can reach him and he gets back on the route. He must enter where he left, or he's a non-finisher. Gonna be tight with the noon deadline looming large

Update from Karina herself, she asked me to post this----  She said that her husband surprised her at Sutherland and she rested there for 2 hours, after that she got back on her bike and her husband went back home. She also said that she wanted to go on but the organizers decision was if she didn't finish by 8am at way point 10, she must stop. That she understood, She then asked them if she can go on by herself but the organizers refused.  Karina doesn't have any cleat shoes so she had to ride with what she got witch is her trusted takkies.

Update from Karina herself, she asked me to post this---- She said that her husband surprised her at Sutherland and she rested there for 2 hours, after that she got back on her bike and her husband went back home. She also said that she wanted to go on but the organizers decision was if she didn't finish by 8am at way point 10, she must stop. That she understood, She then asked them if she can go on by herself but the organizers refused. Karina doesn't have any cleat shoes so she had to ride with what she got witch is her trusted takkies.

What a champ..

Glad there was no medical reason that she had to stop..unfortunate that she couldn't continue..but I do get where the organisers where coming from.

A remarkable ride from her.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Edited by Gen

Update from Karina herself, she asked me to post this----  She said that her husband surprised her at Sutherland and she rested there for 2 hours, after that she got back on her bike and her husband went back home. She also said that she wanted to go on but the organizers decision was if she didn't finish by 8am at way point 10, she must stop. That she understood, She then asked them if she can go on by herself but the organizers refused.  Karina doesn't have any cleat shoes so she had to ride with what she got witch is her trusted takkies.

Yster. This is my likely scenario if ever I had the guts to enter. The best I could hope for is to see how far I could get before I get pulled off. These riders are inspiring.

Wow, Congrats where its due!

So where does the name come from?

A derogatory term for an African man with a large penis. I never knew or heard the term, but this was the explanation written in Ride magazine many years ago!

I actually find the name fitting.

A derogatory term for an African man with a large penis. I never knew or heard the term, but this was the explanation written in Ride magazine many years ago!

I actually find the name fitting.

I highly doubt that this is correct Edited by Pulse