Cryptocurrency

Jurgens Smit

The tech supporting Bitcoin and Ethereum is solid and has real world applications. S

Big difference between the technology and the product.

Plant hybridisation = good technology

Tulip bulbs = bad investment product

• Replies 265
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Luckily got out last year and made my money when it went just over $10k. It was getting too absurd, climbing >$1k/ day. Stories of people taking a mortgage against their home loans just to buy BTC.

All those smartass "financial advisers" are awfully quiet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by stefmeister

Luckily got out last year and made my money when it went just over $10k. It was getting too absurd, climbing >$1k/ day. Stories of people taking a mortgage against their home loans just to buy BTC.

Heh. Which is why Im very happy I continued to say only use play money. Yes, it's still a hilariously short term for such a fabulous correction, but that's my view. I'll leave mine in Ripple for a while longer. 

I am not sure if this has been posted here, but whoever bitcoined the term "Dunning-Krugerrand" deserves a million crypto-high-fives!

Haha, so someone coined the brilliant term, Dunning-Kruggerrands, to describe Bitcoin. That's hilarious.

For those who don't quite understand, have a read.

VG3rAek.jpg

Welcome to the party, if this is the speed at which you read things on the net, stay away from investing in BitCoin.

If you bought BTC on 25 Jan and sold today, you would have lost almost 40%

I know someone who spent near on R100k on the miner units...recently as well!!

I know someone who spent near on R100k on the miner units...recently as well!!

Yeah, my one colleague was one of them. Luckily (now) his friend spilled his beer on his rig - and his insurance covered it. He had taken out a personal loan to fund it. Small mercies.

Edited by stefmeister

Why don't people use laptops as miners. Surely cheaper.

I’ve also had this thought. I bought a year contract on hashflare. 33% pool fee. Not to bad.

Yep, Cryptos over the last ten days have been an absolute bloodbath.

Entire markets are reeling. Not just Crypto but financial markets as well.

Sure, Crypto taking the biggest hits. 

Feel terrible for people that invest what they cant afford to lose.

I don't know. The tech supporting Bitcoin and Ethereum is solid and has real world applications. So many FIs are looking into how to integrate distributed ledger tech into their IT environments. Thus, cryptocurrencies will be a part of the future, but their use as a speculation vehicle is probably over. 

Perhaps we'll see something like Tether be used in the future. A currency pegged to a fiat at 1:1 - you load your wallet and off you go. 

Cryptocurriencies will still continue but the value is in the blockchain and not the currency. Once a commit has taken place to a blockchain then its there forever and cannot be manipulated, there is value in that.

I really do not know what to say anymore about this cryptocurrency issues, sometimes i feel so bad that i did not buy any crypto when it was just a penny value.. now seem like crazy because there are so many crypto or altcoin out there beside bitcoins. It is very hard to predict or forecast the value.. maybe the ones who expert know about this stuff

Everyone that’s spewing now obviously got on the wagon too late. If you bought this time last year your ROI is still incredible. Also if you bought yesterday morning at 10h00 you would be up by 55% this morning. Definitely a risk, but still fun.

Welcome to the party, if this is the speed at which you read things on the net, stay away from investing in BitCoin.

If you bought BTC on 25 Jan and sold today, you would have lost almost 40%

D'oh

I don't know. The tech supporting Bitcoin and Ethereum is solid and has real world applications. So many FIs are looking into how to integrate distributed ledger tech into their IT environments. Thus, cryptocurrencies will be a part of the future, but their use as a speculation vehicle is probably over. 

Perhaps we'll see something like Tether be used in the future. A currency pegged to a fiat at 1:1 - you load your wallet and off you go. 

Blockchain is already very much in use in the fintech sector, and is going nowhere. However the concept of using a highly volatile commodity as a transaction token (the very basis of crypto 'currency') is not something that will have a long life span.