Saddle Bags on Road Bikes: cool or uncool?

ByronH

Nah, I'll be out riding, consciously trying to damage your image.

Trying to do damage to others doesn't make you cool, it makes you an asshole.

If you cant take a little banter, then you probably need that ride more than you think. Go outside, and get some fresh air.

• Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Trying to do damage to others doesn't make you cool, it makes you an asshole.

If you cant take a little banter, then you probably need that ride more than you think. Go outside, and get some fresh air.

Easy, it was just a joke. Sheeesh. Don't go calling names now.

So on a slight hi-jacking note, I recently bought a bike that can't fit a bottle cage due to the position of the shock on my mtb.

Now I did manage to find a bottle cage holder screws, literally 2cm from the BB and between my crank. Methinks I'll be the biggest hazzard coming down any path trying to get a bottle in or out of that precarious spot.

But that got me thinking, why is there no (virtually indestructible) product available that can be fitted onto your bike to store some tools, etc?

I often see the cut out 500ml coke bottles fitted into bottle cages used as storage devices.

It seems to me there could be a gap in the market

If there is something out there please enlighten me and I'll probably buy it tomorrow

So on a slight hi-jacking note, I recently bought a bike that can't fit a bottle cage due to the position of the shock on my mtb.

Now I did manage to find a bottle cage holder screws, literally 2cm from the BB and between my crank. Methinks I'll be the biggest hazzard coming down any path trying to get a bottle in or out of that precarious spot.

But that got me thinking, why is there no (virtually indestructible) product available that can be fitted onto your bike to store some tools, etc?

I often see the cut out 500ml coke bottles fitted into bottle cages used as storage devices.

It seems to me there could be a gap in the market

If there is something out there please enlighten me and I'll probably buy it tomorrow

You get tool boxes that looks like  a short water bottle. Some Ebike batteries are also stored like that. Invest in a seatclamp bottle holder. (only if you don't use a dropper)

Not to expensive and gives you space for your extra bottle. and other guys use that space for the spares "bottle"

You get tool boxes that looks like  a short water bottle. Some Ebike batteries are also stored like that. Invest in a seatclamp bottle holder. (only if you don't use a dropper)

Not to expensive and gives you space for your extra bottle. and other guys use that space for the spares "bottle"

I do use a dropper post.

I'm not too fussed about carrying a water bottle, as I've actually started enjoying cycling with a camelback -  It's helped me take sips at regular intervals.

But I just thought it would be cool if there was something that I could mount onto my bike in place of a water bottle cage with tools and whatever else it can fit in there, nice and secure.

Kind of like the SWAT box on some Specialized bikes - but now obviously in this case an external casing

I do use a dropper post.

I'm not too fussed about carrying a water bottle, as I've actually started enjoying cycling with a camelback -  It's helped me take sips at regular intervals.

But I just thought it would be cool if there was something that I could mount onto my bike in place of a water bottle cage with tools and whatever else it can fit in there, nice and secure.

Kind of like the SWAT box on some Specialized bikes - but now obviously in this case an external casing

There are loads of stuff available.

Topeak ninja, spez swat, tool bottles, Syncros matchbox etc

No No and No

Rule #31//

Spare tubes, multi-tools and repair kits should be stored in jersey pockets.

If absolutely necessary, in a converted bidon in a cage on bike.

Rule #29//

No European Posterior Man-Satchels.

Saddle bags have no place on a road bike, and are only acceptable on mountain bikes in extreme cases

Only rules that should be taken seriously are #5 htfu and #10. Oh and also the one that says don't be an ass but if you absolutely have to be a funny ass.

I ride with a saddle bag and if I pass a guy without a saddle bag along the route screaming and begging bomb, bomb, i just smile and wave.

A mate I ride with never has a saddle bag or any spares on him. He's always relying on one of the rest of us (or complete strangers) to provide bombs or even tubes if things go wrong.

It wouldn't bother me as much if he wasn't constantly quoting the Rules and criticising other's saddle bags.

Now that I think about it.. next time I'm leaving him in the dirt, quoting Rule 43 as I disappear into the distance

I ride with a saddle bag and if I pass a guy without a saddle bag along the route screaming and begging bomb, bomb, i just smile and wave.

I don’t ride with a saddle bag and only carry one bomb, but I will always stop and help a guy who doesn’t have one, even if he has a saddle bag and it means I won’t have a spare for the rest of my ride.