Garmin / Navworld break up?

eibmoZ

Nonsense - nothing to do with forcing an upgrade. Read past the headlines

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

O, really ?

I'm so pleased that Apple have turned their back on built-in obsolescence and have embraced philanthropy as primary strategy.

For an organisation that prides itself on its brand values they must have disciplined the communications director for failing to bring this benevolent feature to the public's attemtion when launching it.WqqqQ1

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

O, really ?

I'm so pleased that Apple have turned their back on built-in obsolescence and have embraced philanthropy as primary strategy.

For an organisation that prides itself on its brand values they must have disciplined the communications director for failing to bring this benevolent feature to the public's attemtion when launching it.WqqqQ1

Once again, read past the headlines, otherwise it is pointless engaging with you. I bet if Apple hadn’t throttled older phones, you would be on here moaning about failures in phones with older batteries Edited by wahoofish

O, really ?

Where is the built in obsolescence? I see iPhone 4’s still in use pretty regularly. iPads, still going, albeit slowly, since 2009 in many cases. Macs, strong like Russia .

I was at Navworld CT in on the 29th of December to get device swap out, they mentioned it was basically the last day they would have been able to do it. 

They now have a note up in the store stating the policy has changed and all devices need to be sent to Garmin for inspection first, they no longer do "Core replacements" on the spot. 

I was at Navworld CT in on the 29th of December to get device swap out, they mentioned it was basically the last day they would have been able to do it. 

They now have a note up in the store stating the policy has changed and all devices need to be sent to Garmin for inspection first, they no longer do "Core replacements" on the spot. 

Ugh, that sucks - my edge 500 is now on its last legs, going to have to replace it soon - seems it is not going to be the painless excercise I was hoping it would be

I have been to Navworld in Pretoria on 4 different occasions now. 

Not once have I walked in there and gotten what I wanted. 

The sales they have missed out on:

Garmin Fenix strap

Edge 820

Edge 1030

Forerunner 235

Powermeter pedals

2 x for a bumper / rubber for my Edge

They are like a maternity ward....you have to wait 9 months to get anything out of them

Once again, read past the headlines, otherwise it is pointless engaging with you. 

Thank you again for caring about Apple so much. I appreciate it, and I am sure so does Cupertino,  but you have made a fundamental but erroneous leap of logic.

I not only read past headlines but also with both insight and context. 

I bet if Apple hadn’t throttled older phones, you would be on here moaning about failures in phones with older batteries

Where is the built in obsolescence? 

Let me get this clear, a product is launched with a deteriorating battery which cannot easily nor cheaply replaced?  This requires the phone to be "throttled" to stop people "moaning". We know that this engineering problem is easily solved by having a removable and replaceable battery but Apple choose to make it virtually impossible.

Tying product life to battery life is by all definitions "built in obsolescence", and I found the answer in your own two posts. There are many more if you care to look for them.

This just seems like a change in procedure to me, don't know if it can be called a "break up", as the title suggests.

It is sad that people are taking advantage because a while back I notice that some want to buy new Garmin and they can't afford, so they ask around for broken ones. They take broken ones to Naworld and they get new one for big discounts. Garmin realized that they will never make money, if they do that. They will rather check it in the lab before they can replace or not.

Should I feel insulted that you call me skelm?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

no, that was directed at the company itself.

HOLD THE PHONE, you're in northern ireland...do you work for Apple?

if that's the case?

http://www.thisisnotatrueending.com/suptg/archive/9161878/images/1271151371472.jpg

Hi All,

I’ve read your concerns regarding NavWorld’s updated support policy for Garmin devices and I just wanted to address these directly.

Navworld was contracted by Garmin Southern Africa to perform repairs, updates and replacements in accordance with the international and local warranty and service policies. This contract has not been renewed and Navworld is no longer in a position to offer the full range of services.

Garmin Southern Africa took this service in-house effective 1 January 2018 and they will not allow any reseller or third party to exchange devices in or out of warranty on their behalf.

Navworld can still offer first line support like updates, unit resets and fault finding but unfortunately, for any replacements the faulty units will have to go to Rosebank.

Customers can take their units to the Garmin office in Rosebank but it will still be booked in and you will have to return to collect your fixed or replacement device.

We understand the potential inconvenience this is causing for our customers but we appreciate your understanding in this regard.

As always, we’ll try our utmost to assist our customers with any issues they may have. You can check our support page here:

http://navworld.co.za/support/

Any other questions? Let me know, I’ll be happy to assist.

Roan

no, that was directed at the company itself.

HOLD THE PHONE, you're in northern ireland...do you work for Apple?

if that's the case?

http://www.thisisnotatrueending.com/suptg/archive/9161878/images/1271151371472.jpg

Ha - bang in the middle my friend. All lekker though.

It is sad that people are taking advantage because a while back I notice that some want to buy new Garmin and they can't afford, so they ask around for broken ones. They take broken ones to Naworld and they get new one for big discounts. Garmin realized that they will never make money, if they do that. They will rather check it in the lab before they can replace or not.

Nothing is stopping Garmin from giving Navworld a test jig to do this at their own premises. This is exactly what Garmin is doing at their own office anyway. Whether Garmin has one of their guys do it or Navworld has one of their guys do it really makes very little difference.  

This is more likely a case of your everyday corporate manoeuvring, backstabbing, etc.

• 4 months later...

Thumbs up to Garmin in Rosebank - dropped off my son's broken unit on Monday, e-mail quote was received before I got back to office, paid smallish amount for replacement which was delivered on Wednesday. :clap: :clap:

Same here. Took faulty Edge 820 in on Monday. Before I got back to work had an email saying it will be replaced under warranty.

Courier delivered new unit by Tuesday lunch time!

Thumbs up to Garmin in Rosebank - dropped off my son's broken unit on Monday, e-mail quote was received before I got back to office, paid smallish amount for replacement which was delivered on Wednesday. :clap: :clap:

What model was the faulty unit, what did you replace it with and what was the replacement fee? Did you have to pay for courier? Edited by Long Wheel Base