[Event] Value Logistics Fast One 2018

Lostee

Valid point and now that I think about it I agree with you, the egos are everywhere, my bad.  Yes that crash was in A, luckily I punctured earlier so wasn't involved.

Sorry but I strongly disagree with you on this point.

It's a bunch of guys there will always be egos involved.

As you said, many sit in the open bunch and suck wheel the entire race when the bunch gets to the last 1km you swear that it's life or death. They come from all sides in all shapes and riding all kinds of fancy bikes to have a chance to win the group and come in 300th place.

Last year at the Fast One there was a major crash at the finish line because of this.

I actually think it was the A bunch

I had a real chuckle about this, you should've allowed them to go to the media so that they can name and shame themselves and we can put them in the gutter next time around or throw around some jokes.

As a open rider it's quite funny to see the odd vets drop down (especially in flattish races and obviously races with prize money), then sit on the open riders' wheels and sprint for the finish as if they had a full 9 man lead out train around them.  It sometimes gets real frustrating to be honest but I don't mind, racing is racing and each has their own strategy, although most of us is just having fun.  There's usually the same bunch of open guys that can put down the hammer when needed to split the field and that shares the work equally.  We race hard but I really don't mind any of them winning the race at the end.

It's a bunch of chilled guys having some fun in open, if you want to call yourself a racer and boost your ego then buy a license and go ride vets.

I'm glad you dropped the prize money G, as this will prevent some eco boosting in open.

I can't believe how quickly this thread escalated. Yes, the crash at the end was A batch. I quite enjoyed the ride/race last year, very fortunate to not have been involved.

Egos, especially in men, will always be present. 

I think the sucking wheel vs. break away will be debated ad nauseum. At this amateur level, break aways rarely last. So why waste your energy to just be caught with 5k to go? Amateurs have the mindset that it's every man for himself. Team work does not exist If I cross the line before my team mate I'll magically grow a bigger penis and all the girls will like me. My kudos will fly in and Chris Froome will follow me on Strava. Until we change this mindset and span werk becomes the goal at the end of the day, the racing will continue on the same path it is. 

• Replies 324
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

At this amateur level, break aways rarely last. So why waste your energy to just be caught with 5k to go?. 

If I have the legs, I will always attempt a break away and up the pace in the last few km and sprint it out with a few randoms in my group. That is where an organized race differs from a high tempo group ride.

For that few seconds I feel like Sagan or Gilbert. In the grand scheme of things, my 12 834th position means nothing, and shouldn't even influence anybody else.

With no malice intended, I would jokingly change your quote:

At this amateur level, seeding rarely matters. So why save your energy to just to sit in the bunch with 5k to go?

If I have the legs, I will always attempt a break away and up the pace in the last few km and sprint it out with a few randoms in my group. That is where an organized race differs from a high tempo group ride.

For that few seconds I feel like Sagan or Gilbert. In the grand scheme of things, my 12 834th position means nothing, and shouldn't even influence anybody else.

With no malice intended, I would jokingly change your quote:

At this amateur level, seeding rarely matters. So why save your energy to just to sit in the bunch with 5k to go?

Each do their own I guess, but I'm with you 100% on this, if I have the legs I'll leave it all out there

I think the sucking wheel vs. break away will be debated ad nauseum. At this amateur level, break aways rarely last. So why waste your energy to just be caught with 5k to go?

Because you can.

Because doing nothing and sitting there in the bunch sucking wheel is boring.  It does not give you character.  It does not make you fitter or faster.  It makes you lazy.  You could have done that at home.  Saving a crap house $$

Do something.  Anything. 

Stop worrying about winning or getting caught. 

Race the race. 

Edited by Spinnekop

Yeah, last years race in A was a tad Nervy, reckless & close!

Being the first race in the year, lots of newbies with their upgraded seedings in A, plus the inclusion of the Juniors in the A Bunch made for a very nervy race right through.

Being a "flat" course meant speeds were high & there will be obviously a few niggles, bike direction changes etc for the inexperienced which made for some nervy & funny moments. 

That dude who went off-roading & nearly flew into the barbed wire fence is a prime example.

Then, main group heading into the finish at speeds over 50km/h at least 100 strong made for some nervy finishing. In the last km, plenty juniors with those limited gears started mixing it up with the lead guys, I was at least 10th wheel nearing the finish and before I knew it, i was 30th/40th wheel. Lots of guys swerving trying to get through but that's where I decided to just roll with the group. Huge crash on the left of me as a guy was forced into the barriers on the left and not sure how many followed suit. I was just glad I finished safely. The sounds of carbon cracking was terrible. Hope the juniors have a different starting slot.

I'll be more than willing to join you mate!

Edited by AryM

Will number collection at the start be possible? Bit difficult for cyclists from out-of-town to collect beforehand.

Yeah, especially when they close at 1pm the day before the race :mellow:

I read on the website about number collection on the day, you can just go and confirm maybe? 

Number collection for open groups only. Licensed riders not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Saves me a trip. 

AL at 6:55

Willing to prevent the carnage at the end and more than willing to work as per above!

:thumbup:

No way I am driving through to Jhb for a piece of paper.

I'll be copy and pasting and see where it gets me.

Gatvol of this ***

sal joune optel oom