Canyon bicycles now available direct to South Africa

shaper

My experience was fantastic. I ordered something that was pending stock, and as soon as it arrived in Koblenz, I was billed, and it cleared customs in SA 5 days later. I made a point of keeping on UPS's case to keep things from bogging down in the process

If whatever you order is only going to be in stock towards the end of May, do you still pay now or only pay once it arrives at their warehouse? 

Edit: Canyon confirmed that you will need to make payment two weeks prior to estimated delivery date.

Edited by BikeisLife

• Replies 441
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi All,

So I'm thinking of buying a Canyon Neuron and have a couple of questions.

Firstly, my understanding is that the overall price I'd pay is:

Bike plus vat and duties: (bike price) x 1.33975 (thanks Myles and co)

Shipping: $299 (on canyon website)

Packaging: $16.90 (on canyon website)

Are there any other costs I'm missing? In short, will the above total result in a shiny new bicycle arriving at my door, or are there further costs involved?

And then from anyone who's been through the process, assuming there is availability of the bike you are after, is the whole process fairly smooth/quick, or do you end up waiting months for the bike to get through customs?

Thanks in advance. 

Shipping is part of the price that you pay VAT on. You're missing the 15% you also pay on shipping.

So, (bike cost x customs + shipping) x VAT.

Like I said, customs won't release the bike without a clearing agent. You can register as one yourself, or get someone to do it for you on your behalf. (That was my experience anyway).

From the moment I placed the order, to the time I had my bike was about 3 weeks, including having to organise a clearing agent, and additional couriers. The bike was in SA within 3 days from placing the order.

Shipping is part of the price that you pay VAT on. You're missing the 15% you also pay on shipping.

Like I said, customs won't release the bike without a clearing agent. You can register as one yourself, or get someone to do it for you on your behalf. (That was my experience anyway).

From the moment I placed the order, to the time I had my bike was about 3 weeks, including having to organise a clearing agent, and additional couriers. The bike was in SA within 3 days from placing the order.

Ah right, thanks. I was under the impression there was not vat on shipping costs (a post I read a few pages back) but if this is what you went through then I'll take your word for it. 

you paid VAT on shipping? 

if they ship UPS, why'd you have to arrange a clearing agent?

Doing the math on an online Canyon purchase is a very depressing exercise because there is literally no reason to want to buy a mail order bike when its often cheaper, more convenient and far less warranty hassle (don't sit on the top tube) to just buy a product with a local distributor...

you paid VAT on shipping? 

if they ship UPS, why'd you have to arrange a clearing agent?

Because it is over a certain value - my correspondence with them (albeit very vaguely) indicated that anything over R50k needs a clearance agent.

Apparently, they also have a list somewhere where they keep track of all the stuff you've imported. If it looks like you bring a lot of stuff in (in terms of value), they request that you either register as a clearance agent or get someone to do it for you.

Because it is over a certain value - my correspondence with them (albeit very vaguely) indicated that anything over R50k needs a clearance agent.

Apparently, they also have a list somewhere where they keep track of all the stuff you've imported. If it looks like you bring a lot of stuff in (in terms of value), they request that you either register as a clearance agent or get someone to do it for you.

and factor in that your first R5500 of import is duty free. Thereafter you start falling into the tax tariffs well of Nkcuntla funding

• 2 months later...

Ah right, thanks. I was under the impression there was not vat on shipping costs (a post I read a few pages back) but if this is what you went through then I'll take your word for it. 

Nick, what was your experience with this - did you end up paying VAT on the Shipping Costs as well?

With Canyon officially launching in SA, with demo days, SA-Canyon personnel etc. Surely we wont need to keep doing this cost, shipping, tax, vat, duty dance garbage for much longer? 

Should get to the point where it's: See bike... See rand price... pay.. get bike.

Any news of what their endgame is with regards to being true direct sales to SA?

(apologies if it has been mentioned, just endless landed bike calculation discussions are getting tiresome and so confusing due to the lack of consistency)

Edited by MarcBurger

• 2 months later...

Morning All! 

I am interested in getting a Canyon and have the option of a family member bringing it to RSA when they come on vacation. Has anyone had any experience with this or can provide some insight to pro's and con's (especially related to price, duties, handling etc). Please break it down in laymans terms as I am a rookie importer :) 

Morning All! 

I am interested in getting a Canyon and have the option of a family member bringing it to RSA when they come on vacation. Has anyone had any experience with this or can provide some insight to pro's and con's (especially related to price, duties, handling etc). Please break it down in laymans terms as I am a rookie importer :)

i'm sure you can avoid the vat/duties etc if they travel with it as their normal luggage.

Morning All! 

Where does this family member live?

Morning All! 

Dont let them sit on the top tube.