Tygerberg MTB Trails

Bub Marley

New tack... In my humble opinion, the best XC trails in the Tygerberg club network are on Meerendal. That is if you are an XCM rider.

2018 Meerendal was generally in a better condition that Bloemendal.  And Bloemendal was dusty to the extreme.

2019 it appears to be reversed .....  Bloemendal trails are generally better condition, with the exception of Homerun that needs some attention.  Surely a lot less dust in 2019 at Bloemendal.  While Meerendal now needs a LOT of attention !!  Very dusty sections, large sections of the trails in very bad condition.  Though one has to add that a few sections have recently been serviced .....

We ride both, but the general feel of the TRAILS seems better at Bloemendal - in 2019.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2018 Meerendal was generally in a better condition that Bloemendal. And Bloemendal was dusty to the extreme.

2019 it appears to be reversed ..... Bloemendal trails are generally better condition, with the exception of Homerun that needs some attention. Surely a lot less dust in 2019 at Bloemendal. While Meerendal now needs a LOT of attention !! Very dusty sections, large sections of the trails in very bad condition. Though one has to add that a few sections have recently been serviced .....

We ride both, but the general feel of the TRAILS seems better at Bloemendal - in 2019.

Agreed regarding condition. Bloemendal is currently in better condition.

I guess I was referring more to layout/design - it's just different to the rest of the trails, and more user friendly for proper xcm training. The best stop-in during a long ride to get some flowing trail time.

Sorry, again... what’s the difference between xco and xcm?

Edited by Yo-yo

Sorry, again... what’s the difference between xco and xcm?

Circuit(laps) and Marathon

On the topic of the state of the trails, just remember that this time of the year, just before the first winter rains, all trails in the Cape Town area and surrounds are at their worst in terms of wear and tear, with little or no meaningful maintenance possible during the Spring and Summer and the sheer volumes of traffic that pound these trails, especially the TMTBC trails, with their over 7000 members and visitors that ride these trails on a frequent basis.

As per usual, I am sure all TMTBC trails will receive their annual winter maintenance once ground conditions are suitable

On the topic of the state of the trails, just remember that this time of the year, just before the first winter rains, all trails in the Cape Town area and surrounds are at their worst in terms of wear and tear, with little or no meaningful maintenance possible during the Spring and Summer and the sheer volumes of traffic that pound these trails, especially the TMTBC trails, with their over 7000 members and visitors that ride these trails on a frequent basis.

As per usual, I am sure all TMTBC trails will receive their annual winter maintenance once ground conditions are suitable

Personally, I'd prefer it if they left maintenance for this winter and let the trails get a bit more raw. 

was hoping they could sweep the trails before they open in the mornings!

and maybe spray some sugar water to bind the dust and increase grip...

been there, done that .... your white shoes get ruined.

given that this is tygerberg, that sugar will just make the damned flies on some of the trails "buzz" more on a sugar high.

just pave over the areas of concern.

and maybe spray some sugar water to bind the dust and increase grip...

was hoping they could sweep the trails before they open in the mornings!

you should check out Oak Valley....

• 1 month later...

We tried the new Klipheuwel trail and really enjoyed it, thanks to all involved and really see it as a great addition to the network.

Agree, nice to get some extra training miles in without killing you with climbing - great addition to the trails.

Even got a few KOM's today  :P Though I can't see them standing more than a few days.

Agree, nice to get some extra training miles in without killing you with climbing - great addition to the trails.

Even got a few KOM's today  :P Though I can't see them standing more than a few days.

Tested it on Saturday too. Rode with a mate, with me in front most of the time. On Strava he got a few 2nd and 3rd positions on certain sections, but I did not get even one trophy. 

Went riding there again yesterday, with another buddy who is much stronger than me. He led the way, and I had to push to stay on his wheel. Lo and behold, only a few PB's for me. This makes me believe that these Strava segments are not all that reliable or accurate.

But hey, that's not why were are riding Mtb.

These trails opens so much possibilities to string routes/loops together, and this 12 km is a nice section to ride.

Tested it on Saturday too. Rode with a mate, with me in front most of the time. On Strava he got a few 2nd and 3rd positions on certain sections, but I did not get even one trophy. 

Went riding there again yesterday, with another buddy who is much stronger than me. He led the way, and I had to push to stay on his wheel. Lo and behold, only a few PB's for me. This makes me believe that these Strava segments are not all that reliable or accurate.

But hey, that's not why were are riding Mtb.

These trails opens so much possibilities to string routes/loops together, and this 12 km is a nice section to ride.

I think you are right, at least the shorter ones. tbh not bothered by the KOM's but it's a nice route to ride flatout.

Like I said in the previous, nice option if you want to do some extra kilos without the climbing (or don't feel like gravel grinding)