Gravel bikes - what do you have and where did you buy it?

Myth

Quick few questions. Do most gravel bikes use mtb wheels with a thru-axle or specific CX disc brake wheels? Anyone here using a Campy CX gruppo? I see they have medium cage derailleurs that can accommodate an 11-32 cassette and hydro brakes developed with Magura.

Don't have the answer to your question, but a gravel bike with campy gruppo sounds like the coolest thing ever

• Replies 954
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a Kona Jake the Snake Cross Bike/ Gravel Bike project I am looking at maybe getting rid of as I have new business that needs some cash in it.. 

Kona Jake the Snake Frame (medium)

Kona Project 2 fork

Paul Neo - Retro Canti Brakes (These are $120 dollars a side) 

Alex Wheelset with Novatec Hubs

Let me know if you keen or want some pics etc... 

Edited by the nerd

Verrrry, verrry nice. But don't you okes in the Cape have someone who can paint the thing ? Call me, i know of a guy...

ps.

What tires are those ?

Hehe i actually like the brushed steel look with the exposed welding on the frame... Hence only painting the fork but i have been playing around with some ideas for a new look so maybe in the near future... Who knows...

Tires are Specialized Sawtooth 700 x 42c 2Bliss. Very nice tires indeed, rolls nice both on and off road with enough grip on the rough stuff.

Quick few questions. Do most gravel bikes use mtb wheels with a thru-axle or specific CX disc brake wheels? Anyone here using a Campy CX gruppo? I see they have medium cage derailleurs that can accommodate an 11-32 cassette and hydro brakes developed with Magura.

Generally speaking a specific CX/Gravel type bike will use 12mm f & r ( giant tcx, canyon, norco as as examples as 12mm )

However some companies are use Mtb std 15 f & 12 r ( santa cruz stigmata as example ).

Some frames also use post mount mtb calipers and some flatmount so there is allot to taker note of.

I was just about to ask, do you really need hydraulic disk on a gravel bike?

I am looking to build a bike, but want to use an old groupset and mechanical brakes.

Is it worth investing in new hydraulic shifters?

I bought the Specialized Diverge and it came with Spyre mechanical brakes. After too many unpleasant experiences I put on hydraulics. A whole new world opened up for me. Mechanical disk brakes are junk. They are worse than V-brakes

I'm riding the Giant Anyroad 2017, very relaxed geometry.

40c tubeless tyres of the OEM wheels

ZTR 29er wheels, where swop between 32c or 28c tyres depending on the intended ride.

50/38 crank, with 11/32 cassette. 10speed. Excellent all round bike

Also have the Giant Fastroad.(flat bar).  Somewhat similar but different. Both can handle the dirt & give the roadies some horns as well.

Giant have a few gravel bikes in reasonable spec

Anyroad (aluXX & carbon frames)

Fastroad (aluXX & carbon frames)

TCX (aluXX frame)

Have a look the Comax versions in all 3, just under R30k

Your bikes are lacking flared gravel bars. Get yourself a set of Salsa or Ritchey gravel bars and really have comfortable bikes

Don't overlooked the trp mechanicals. I've never set up mechanical brakes before these and these took me 10min. They wear evenly. So barrel adjuster only from there.

I hared them and changed to hydraulic