Gravel bikes - what do you have and where did you buy it?

Myth

So, my next question:  Tyre choices:

Currently the options i'm considering will either take a 700c 42mm max tyre or 650b 42mm max tyre size (and I am not 100% certain on that width, it may even be 40mm).  Obviously i want to use the widest tyres possible, as well as tubeless compatibility and reasonable protection, so what are my options in those sizes? 

So far I can see:

Maxxis Rambler

Schwalbe G-One or X-One

Kenda Inflintridge Pro

Also not sure if one can get these locally...

Edited by myth125

• Replies 954
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This sounds like a lekker build indeed!!

That Canyon :drool:

I've been looking at getting one of these. I live out where there are a multitude of great dirt roads but the only tar is provincial roads which I am not very comfortable riding on. 

I thoughts were a Gravel bike that doubles up as a roadbike. So If I could have my way I'd want to have a set of road discs with 25cc slicks and a set of 2-2.2'' Wheels which would double up as  MTB race wheels and Gravel bike. One would then have 3 x 29er wheelsets. That's If one could get a MTB and Road frame with similar dropouts.

That would be my wish.

I’ve got TRP mechanical discs on my Mercer roadbike for almost 2 years and more braking power than you would ever need. In the proses to build a Cotic Escapade for gravelbike and going with TRP Spyre again. Setup is very easy and for replacing pads, Shimano pads fit. Wheelsize 650b x 45-50c.

Mmm. Also scoping an Inflite race cx bike. Is there nobody else also looking to get one? I read on the Canyon website that if you buy 2 Inflite race bikes as part of their sponsoring program you get even more discount than what they are currently offering. If anyone else is interested lets chat. @Ttocs: which inflite did you get? Plz post a pic! [emoji51]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Which one you looking at? As is see if you order it both has to be the same model, size and color?

Currently the options i'm considering will either take a 700c 42mm max tyre or 650b 42mm max tyre size (and I am not 100% certain on that width, it may even be 40mm).  Obviously i want to use the widest tyres possible, as well as tubeless compatibility and reasonable protection, so what are my options in those sizes? 

So far I can see:

Maxxis Rambler

Schwalbe G-One or X-One

Kenda Inflintridge Pro

You can get the Maxxis and Kendas from CWC.  I'm trialling a set of Flintridge's currently - tubeless.  Nice and wide, but a tad heavy.  Rolls nicely on the tar.

Just build a gravel bike running Maxxix Rambler 700 X 40 . Haven't done Swartberg Pass on them but some roads outside Prince Albert with a few rough sections . Don't think there is anything on the GF route that they won't handle

perhaps someone on here can assist or point me in the right direction. Frames are extremely hard to find  / come by. I currently have a Fuji Cyclocross bike but it is just too big. Listed in the classifieds. Im looking to buy a smaller frame but I just cant seem to find anywhere that sells just a frame, the ones that I have found are ridiculously expensive.

Any of you know where i can get a decent reasonably priced frame max 5K is there even such a thing? Looking for a 54 i have a 58

https://www.bikehub.co.za/classifieds/298902-gravel-cx-swap-l-58cm-for-m-54cm-frame/

Edited by peds

I’ve got TRP mechanical discs on my Mercer roadbike for almost 2 years and more braking power than you would ever need. In the proses to build a Cotic Escapade for gravelbike and going with TRP Spyre again. Setup is very easy and for replacing pads, Shimano pads fit. Wheelsize 650b x 45-50c.

Yup, I agree on the TRP's. Easy to set up, and if you keep pads and rotors in good shape, they brake really well. I sanded pads and rotors about every 3months and they worked great. One issue was that on the front caliper, water would run down the cable housing and caused corrosion on the ferrule. that was a PITA.

perhaps someone on here can assist or point me in the right direction. Frames are extremely hard to find / come by. I currently have a Fuji Cyclocross bike but it is just too big. Listed in the classifieds. Im looking to buy a smaller frame but I just cant seem to find anywhere that sells just a frame, the ones that I have found are ridiculously expensive.

Any of you know where i can get a decent reasonably priced frame max 5K is there even such a thing? Looking for a 54 i have a 58

https://www.bikehub.co.za/classifieds/298902-gravel-cx-swap-l-58cm-for-m-54cm-frame/

I’ve been considering this...:

https://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/ZX2211FULL/planet-x-the-full-monty-alloy-gravel-frameset

I was just about to ask, do you really need hydraulic disk on a gravel bike?

I am looking to build a bike, but want to use an old groupset and mechanical brakes.

Is it worth investing in new hydraulic shifters?

Nope. Mechanical all the way...

So far I can see:

Maxxis Rambler

Schwalbe G-One or X-One

Kenda Inflintridge Pro

I willing be going for these soon (available locally): WTB Resolute 700 x 42c

@Peds. I was looking at your bike today. Just don't have the cash now as we bought 2 kayaks for the family. As mentioned Farr concepts has a steel frame. Very tempting. There was a Cotic Escapade frame for sale last month, I took to long to decide and missed that one. Really need to get me a gravel bike!

Edited by wildwindfr

Quick few questions. Do most gravel bikes use mtb wheels with a thru-axle or specific CX disc brake wheels? Anyone here using a Campy CX gruppo? I see they have medium cage derailleurs that can accommodate an 11-32 cassette and hydro brakes developed with Magura.

post-13716-0-48708600-1523127740_thumb.jpg

Edited by Cippo