Is selling on the classifieds becoming more difficult?

M L

South African Economic Times   

384 members have voted

1. 1. Are you finding it increasingly difficult to sell things on the classifieds?

• I sell things quickly and easily - it seems people have money
    • I sell things fairly quickly
    • I find it rather difficult to sell things - I struggle to sell and get low ball offers

Within reason... Obviously no one expects a reply within minutes, and within hours is normal... But when you send a message on a Saturday evening, and someone replies to you on a Tuesday morning (true story) you can't help thinking "Oy vey"... 

And any coked up weirdo crackhead messaging you at 03h30 should be immediately reported and blocked, lol. 

Thing is it is 03h30 by us, but 14h30 on the oil rig in Europe............

Well written post, I do believe many sellers fall in the "silly" category. Too much sentimental value, although sometimes that is linked to over paying or being an early adopter and just paying too much for the bike. Then you are in a position where you try to recoup as much as possible and price the item too high. 

• Replies 753
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thing is it is 03h30 by us, but 14h30 on the oil rig in Europe............

Well written post, I do believe many sellers fall in the "silly" category. Too much sentimental value, although sometimes that is linked to over paying or being an early adopter and just paying too much for the bike. Then you are in a position where you try to recoup as much as possible and price the item too high. 

Totally agree, a large number of sellers start out OVERPRICING their bikes because of sentimental or "other" reasons, only to end up desperately selling them 6 weeks later (after 3 price reductions) for below market value, as they overpriced them to start, scaring off potential buyers... 

Some interesting feedback in the recent posts. Thanks for all sharing your experiences and experiments.

@ChrisF, out of interest: Your friend who refused to advertise on Bike Hub. Can you share why or what led to this? 

Matt I sent you a DM.

The first friend is not a serious seller, not any more.  2016 he did a lot of buying and selling. 

The second one is still very active with buying and selling.  He uses both the Hub and Gumtree.

For me part of being on the hub is passing on my good used parts and bikes to fellow enthusiasts.  I like to think my move ons are good value and I sell for what I would pay.  I rarely battle to sell stuff.

I recently had the opportunity to sell to a well known entity that sells on the Hub.  I declined the trade and would have to say the guy was incredibly polite.  I knew what I had would sell fast so maybe that's why I held the moral high ground

I understand everyones right to earn a living but buying on the hub to instantly resell irks me.  At least add value and sell it on a build.

Edited by Wayne pudding Mol

• 2 weeks later...

It’s a pain selling to be honest. Items at 50% less than retail attract the low ballers. Anything priced higher and the ads are ignored.

The second hand market is horrible right now.

I beg to differ. I think the 2nd hand market is the best it's ever been. I am selling my stuff within hours at my asking price, no haggling. Given my prices aren't stupid high, but I don't think they are lower than the item's worth.

Sellers (Especially dealers) take note ... a simple R300 item with a selection of detailed photographs!

https://bikehub.co.za/classifieds/item/seat-posts/465118/thomson-seatpost-clamp-349mm-black

EDIT: Went to look at the sellers active adds, and all are very well photographed...even the R180 seatpost!

And from every angle so no doubt around the condition.

Seen ads where areas seem to be intentionally missed.......

It’s a pain selling to be honest. Items at 50% less than retail attract the low ballers. Anything priced higher and the ads are ignored.

right product at the right price and the market has never been better in my opinion.

I recently did a clear out and sold everything except a bike I was surprised no one bought.  So I stripped the bike and got more money than I was after for the parts and I still have the frame

BUT, there is a lot of rubbish out there.  

As for lowballers, they used to wind me up but now I simply type "no thanks" and don't even get annoyed.

Last month I tested the selling side ....

Now I am on the receiving end .... looking to buy bike.  For now I am looking locally, want to inspect before I commit to the purchase.

The filters on the Hub seems to work very well, price, size, etc.

Private adds are in two distinct different groups !  Some have a series of good pictures, nice description, and the relevant technical specs.  What a pleasure to work through these adds.  :thumbup:   Then there are the other private adds ... some just have a short description, and no technical specs.  All to often one has to google the description, until you find the model, then check the specs online.

Then you get people wanting to sell a bike, but the pics are taken while the bike hangs on bracket against the wall ... simply not enough detail to know what you are looking at....

And then  .... WOW.  The number of shops selling via the Hub surprised me.  All too often their lack of quality of photos, and very poor descriptions is sad.....

Have to wonder how fast items would sell IF:

- the item was CLEAN

- decent photos

- nice relevant description (not just some copy-paste from a marketing site)

- Accurate technical specs (especially where items have been upgraded or changed)

- reasonable price .... often I dont even get to the point of seriously considering the price, purely before there is not enough information and photos to make an informed decision.

NONE of this is a reflection on the Bike Hub.  The platform certainly seems to function fine.  The quality of the add is up to the seller .... 

The ONLY comment I have about the Bike Hub Buy-Sell platform - It is very easy to miss notifications for those who spend more time on the forum side, as you only see the notification when you go back to the other side ....

There's just a growing number of time wasters on here nowadays. I don't mind answering to if it's still available but just have the decency to reply. Weather you changed your mind or made a mistake it's just common courtesy.

Can you give us some examples so we can see.Ads date offers etc

Can you give us some examples so we can see.Ads date offers etc

27/03/21, 21/03/21, 17/03/21, 13/03/21, 06/03/21. This as you can see was just this month the people who did not reply.

Not going to waste time looking at more or give any more details. This is enough to prove the point.

Your luck in selling something depends on whether someone wants to buy it...it's that simple!

And this is not always the case... for various reasons.

The most basic is (that with all the buyers looking...) no one is interested in what you are selling!

Maybe your item is no longer a sought after item/ it's out of date/ looks worn out/ dirty (shows owner might not have cared for the item)/ or shows wear that implies it could be damaged. Another major point is that if you want to look/ inspect/ touch /feel / ride the item before buying it, then if the item is being sold far away from you then you might no longer be interested in the long distance purchase.

As with an auction - as long as no one else wants to buy the same item as you are interested, you'll get it for a song but if many are interested then the price could easily rocket. (Maybe BH should allow for an auction window in the Ad's to reflect the best offer you have received - this could spark more buying interest?)

Selling is really pot luck...and I've made some great purchases lately. Picked up a GPS unit with HRM with a belt and out front mounts and paid a third of the in store price and the seller was happy with the price he got. So, selling IMHO is going well on BikeHub...