Is selling on the classifieds becoming more difficult?

M L

South African Economic Times   

384 members have voted

1. 1. Are you finding it increasingly difficult to sell things on the classifieds?

• I sell things quickly and easily - it seems people have money
    • I sell things fairly quickly
    • I find it rather difficult to sell things - I struggle to sell and get low ball offers

Thats different to wanting to buy it....And then the price goes up just because someone else also wants to buy it. Its a classified/for sale advert...not an auction. This is not ebay.(there is no way of knowing if there are actual other bids/interest other than the sellers word)

If the seller wants to auction the part then he should state as much....then everybody can start off way under his asking price, bid each other up and the guy who wants it the most will get it. whatever the list it on here for is NOT reserve price imo.

Theres bid or buy for that. They should take there crap there then imo

History shows that if the price is too high then all and sundry want their comments back so they can "save fellow hubbers". If the price is too low then it's game on to not tell the seller (who is also a "fellow hubber") and scalp him. If he dares to put his price up/correct his price then he is the arsehole?

So prices can only go down on a sale? Sounds like a win-win where the buyer gets both wins.

• Replies 753
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, it does not sit "lekker"

But I'm afraid it happens a lot more than you think .. I generally have specific items I want, I thus get an instant alert when an item becomes available. First thing I do is take a screen shot of the item and the description.

Whether the seller maybe changes the price regardless of interest, maybe correcting, or trying a higher price first, or whether from interest ... it happens more than you would imagine.

Since comments aren't available anymore it might now be more prevalent .... a quick check will be to ask "Bikehub admin" to run a database query against classifieds' history where the price increased after the initial post?

That would just be more admin for Admin .... if only the comments on adds were open again  :ph34r:

History shows that if the price is too high then all and sundry want their comments back so they can "save fellow hubbers". If the price is too low then it's game on to not tell the seller (who is also a "fellow hubber") and scalp him. If he dares to put his price up/correct his price then he is the arsehole?

So prices can only go down on a sale? Sounds like a win-win where the buyer gets both wins.

reaching a bit i think. not everyone who pushes the price up is an unsuspecting hubber not knowing the worth of their parts. Most people who use this site have a some sort of clue. 

I'd actually say that only a person with a brand new account....and obviously no clue about the worth of their stuff can be a victom of this...but then we also assume that all cyclist know about bikehub. my neigbour is an avid cyclist, a millenial to boot,  and he's never even heard about Lehub. do those things are more likely to be on bookface marketplace,olx,or scumtree....and yes...then they end up here as "possible stolen bike adverts lol"

That would just be more admin for Admin .... if only the comments on adds were open again  :ph34r:

the job is in the description??? :whistling:  ^_^

Edited by morneS555

reaching a bit i think. not everyone who pushes the price up is an unsuspecting hubber not knowing the worth of their parts. Most people who use this site have a some sort of clue. 

I'd actually say that only a person with a brand new account....and obviously no clue about the worth of their stuff can be a victom of this...but then we also assume that all cyclist know about bikehub. my neigbour is an avid cyclist, a millenial to boot,  and he's never even heard about Lehub. do those things are more likely to be on bookface marketplace,olx,or scumtree....and yes...then they end up here as "possible stolen bike adverts lol"

Some sellers and buyers are hubbers and some are not. Sure. Fine.

I just finding it amusing/hypocritical/interesting that if you start too high everyone will tell you. If you start too low nobody will tell you. If people bargain you down it's normal - if you bargain people up you're an arsehole.

Methinks people who claim to be helping newbies/making thehub a safer place/being all philanthropic should perhaps try and see both sides of the picture.

Edit: Oh and tell your mate to get on thehub :-)

Edited by Eldron

I just finding it amusing/hypocritical/interesting that if you start too high everyone will tell you. If you start too low nobody will tell you. If people bargain you down it's normal - if you bargain people up you're an arsehole.

Methinks people who claim to be helping newbies/making thehub a safer place/being all philanthropic should perhaps try and see both sides of the picture.

Agreed, it's akin to people using the same old argument; "but what about the children". Let's not pretend we really give a toss.

Edit: Oh and tell your mate to get on thehub :-)

I bought a complete TT cockpit including shifters, brake levers and cabling for R300 recently.

The advert went up, I phoned and told the seller I'll take it, "just send me the bank details". Later-on I messaged again and asked if she didn't make a mistake on her listing, is it really R300? She said she doesn't want to make money, just wants it to go to someone that will use it instead of reselling it.

I sent her photos of the Cockpit on my bike a couple of days after receiving the package, just to show I'm actually using it.

What would have happened here if there were comments and I didn't buy it immediately? Would people really have let her know her price is 10x too low compared to the current rates? Or would someone have swooped, bought it, and resold for R1500?

I'm sure plenty of "underpriced" items just get gobbled up and resold by opportunists, which I can't see you stopping anytime soon, not even if you open up comments on the adverts.

I'm sure plenty of "underpriced" items just get gobbled up and resold by opportunists, which I can't see you stopping anytime soon, not even if you open up comments on the adverts.

Once upon a time Mr Christmas Tree was the ultimate proponent of this and it caused much consternation (they're still around, just with a new username). The free market argument wins out each time for this type of activity though. 

I could not care,if I got my price that I wanted, if he sells it at 20% profit good for him if he has the patience to wait for a sale, I price my stuff at a good price for me

Once upon a time Mr Christmas Tree was the ultimate proponent of this and it caused much consternation (they're still around, just with a new username). The free market argument wins out each time for this type of activity though. 

I bought a complete TT cockpit including shifters, brake levers and cabling for R300 recently.

The advert went up, I phoned and told the seller I'll take it, "just send me the bank details". Later-on I messaged again and asked if she didn't make a mistake on her listing, is it really R300? She said she doesn't want to make money, just wants it to go to someone that will use it instead of reselling it.

I sent her photos of the Cockpit on my bike a couple of days after receiving the package, just to show I'm actually using it.

What would have happened here if there were comments and I didn't buy it immediately? Would people really have let her know her price is 10x too low compared to the current rates? Or would someone have swooped, bought it, and resold for R1500?

Good on you for checking - that is the right thing to do.

I have no problem with anyone selling anything for any price - free market principle. The only issue I have is when people start to make judgement calls but those judgement calls only work one way/their way.

If you're going to fight for your rights then you have to carry the responsibility that comes with those rights (even if "the norm" suggests otherwise).

what is the new username?

I'll give you a clue, they spam the classifieds with the same generic setup picture of every bike

It rhymes with 'Mike started'

Ha, ha, ha. They have made a proper business of it now, which I don't object to. The only thing that does annoy, and why I won't buy from them, is that come in hard with the low price offer and 'must delete the ad immediately' but get very shirty if you try to negotiate on one of their bikes for sale.