All things Team Qhubeka NextHash

Eldron

38k EUR times ~20 riders = so minimum wages are 760k EUR for the year. quite a bit more in the 8m EUR budget for salary. (cause clearly more senior okes aren't all going to stick at the minimum)

Yes but remember other sponsors will also put money in. Like for example speed play pedals will give pedals and some ammo. That’s how it works so another 5 sponsors at 200-300 euro and another million euros is available

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

not that it's anything close to a fair comparison, but the reported 8m EUR budget for the entire team for 200 race days across the world is roughly equivalent to what Lionel Messi makes in a month.

I still think the cycling teams have a big income potential with the sale of supporter kit. 

I understand allot of the revenue that pays for the salaries of Messi/Ronaldo/Bale come from Jersey sales.

Don't know how you transition the cycling fans into buying this kit in big numbers, but start somewhere and develop the market over time.

I still think the cycling teams have a big income potential with the sale of supporter kit. 

I understand allot of the revenue that pays for the salaries of Messi/Ronaldo/Bale come from Jersey sales.

Don't know how you transition the cycling fans into buying this kit in big numbers, but start somewhere and develop the market over time.

I think the big stumbling block is I could wear a Soccer Jersey out to dinner or to work and I wouldn't look like a tool.  So people tend to buy them as casual wear.

The last time I wore a Cycling Jersey anywhere other than on a bike was to a fancy dress party.

38k EUR  times ~20 riders = so minimum wages are 760k EUR for the year. quite a bit more in the 8m EUR budget for salary. (cause clearly more senior okes aren't all going to stick at the minimum)

Don't forget backroom staff too

I think the big stumbling block is I could wear a Soccer Jersey out to dinner or to work and I wouldn't look like a tool.  So people tend to buy them as casual wear.

The last time I wore a Cycling Jersey anywhere other than on a bike was to a fancy dress party.

I too find this as a problem. I have no desire to buy pro kit but perhaps if instead of a cycling top they just sold branded nice fitting casual or sports T-Shirts then that could work.

I too find this as a problem. I have no desire to buy pro kit but perhaps if instead of a cycling top they just sold branded nice fitting casual or sports T-Shirts then that could work.

I gave up buying pro kit - when my choice of team (Motorola,Deutch Telekom, Discovery channel) all ended up having doping issue so my willingness to wear it, period, evaporated!

Anyone still have a roster of who is staying (at the moment) at Qhubeka(ASSOS/BMC).

I haven't seen Possovivo go, but a lot of they big Salary guys have moved on.

SA riders I assume are staying are:

R. Van Rensburg 

S. de Bod

R. Gibbons

Not sure who else?

Anyone still have a roster of who is staying (at the moment) at Qhubeka(ASSOS/BMC).

I haven't seen Possovivo go, but a lot of they big Salary guys have moved on.

SA riders I assume are staying are:

R. Van Rensburg 

S. de Bod

R. Gibbons

Not sure who else?

I think Gibbons moved to UAE

Maybe Dlamini

I don’t really see this working either. Most people, outside of wannabee gangsters, don’t particularly want to walk around as walking billboards for a brand. The kind of branding that goes onto “desirable” casual wear is too subtle, so the brand awareness goes out the window.

I don’t really see this working either. Most people, outside of wannabee gangsters, don’t particularly want to walk around as walking billboards for a brand. The kind of branding that goes onto “desirable” casual wear is too subtle, so the brand awareness goes out the window.

Agreed. If they want to go the jersey-sales route, the designs will need to be way more subtle, like most Football and Rugby jerseys.

Just trying to punt current kit won't work.

I am a fan of Jumbo Visma, but there is no way I'll wear that jersey on a ride or a shirt with the same design when out socially.

Whereas a Chelsea/Man U/ Blue Bulls shirt can fly during a braai or a run around the block... 

not to personally attack you but this statement is so incorrect

Most people do want to be walking billboards or at least mini walking billboards - otherwise clothing and footwear brands wouldn't exist

I'd buy an assos casual item but I need a new car and it's one or the other

Most people do want to be walking billboards or at least mini walking billboards - otherwise clothing and footwear brands wouldn't exist

What about that beaut of a Variant?

I'm with Wayne on this. However, the lines get blurred between 'most people' and the tastes of the demographic who follow pro road cycling.

Not, watch, but actually follow it enough to buy team kit.

By nature, road cyclists are fashion snobs, driven by ironic rules that dictate sock height, kit games, bike matchey matchey etc...... So IMHO the market for pro kit will be tiny. As discerning as the potential customers are, one ill placed colour panel will kill any sale.

I honestly don't think there is any real money to be made in kit sales in cycling. 

For me it's a non starter for so many reasons

I have to disagree with you. Outside of the Hip Hop/Urban lifestyle scene, most people buy branded clothing because of the real or percieved notion of quality. Because it’s comfortable and a good fit, and because it’s fit for purpose.

Almost all my clothes are from top tier brands, but the branding is subtle.

I agree, I would also buy an assos casual wear t-shirt or pants, because I know that assos makes high quality items, and I am confident it will be a good fit, and will last, and the branding will be sublte.

But, as vetplant mentioned, there is no way in hell I would wear a Jumbo branded casual wear T-shirt or whatever, it would just be too over the top