All things Team Qhubeka NextHash

Eldron

I still think the cycling teams have a big income potential with the sale of supporter kit. 

I understand allot of the revenue that pays for the salaries of Messi/Ronaldo/Bale come from Jersey sales.

Don't know how you transition the cycling fans into buying this kit in big numbers, but start somewhere and develop the market over time.

Gotta remember two things when comparing to football:

- As a sport football is way bigger so way more money sloshing around.

- Football clubs share in the TV rights and as far as I know that is normally their biggest source of income (complemented by ticket sales and merchandise). The only party scoring on TV rights for riding are the organisers and ASO in particular

Edited by Ossie NL

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Confirmed - Team rebranded as Team Qhuebeka Assos.

I'm stoked to hear this, but this obviously so funny.

Qhubeka bike: - R3850 https://qhubeka.org/how-to-help/donate/

Assos bibshort - R5499 https://www.cwcycles.co.za/product/assos-tcento-evo-bib-shorts

Qhubeka are really awesome, getting more people on bikes has a huge knock on effect for us as local cyclists down the road, and all built in paarl

Post of the day! Chapeau!!

That is my problem. I got given the Swiss national jersey Spartacus's used on a stage of the Tour in 2010, and it is tiny.

I can't get my stomach into it...

So the money has to come from sponsors, and/or TV broadcasts I'll leave you with what Oleg said in 2016 when he cashed out

https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/oleg-tinkov-the-final-interview/

CN: Who do you think is responsible for what you describe as a mess?

Tinkov: Normally the UCI but they don't do much about it, they do **** all.

...Who cares if the old woman who likes to look at the French countryside can't see the Tour anymore?

I disagree with this. I know of a number of people who follow the Tour now simply because they started off watching the beautiful scenery and weren't necessarily cycling fans at all. The countryside scenes that the Tour broadcasters in particular have done so well to capture is a major selling point. Not just for the race but for European tourism.

PRESENTING | TEAM QHUBEKA ASSOS
"I am so happy we can continue to create hope and opportunity through our team and with theCharity." -
Announcing the next step in our incredible journey.
We could not have done this without our incredible partners.
Simply, thank you for believing in us:

Posted on the NTT Pro Cycling Facebook page

Edited by shaper

Yet Ironman don't have a problem getting people wearing their kit.  I think cycling just need to adapt accordingly.

EF are starting to, Rapha as well, to name 2

Bro, Tri Athletes do a half Iron Man and get their entire calf branded.

Road cycling and tri athlon are 2 seriously different beasts when it comes to brand indoctrination.

There is no subtlety in a crop top and speedo....... 

I may have missed it, or if I read it I can't remember it, but is the team racing at Pro Tour level next year ?

Confirmed - Team rebranded as Team Qhuebeka Assos.

Fantastic news, well done the team and Mr Ryder.

It’s not easy being a pro cycling team in Europe, let alone if your roots are from the southern tip of darkest Africa.

Even though they do not win a lot of races / stages, they get good tv coverage based on their African roots, especially on Eurosport where the English commentators always give them some kind of coverage / mention, which helps impress sponsors.

Bro, Tri Athletes do a half Iron Man and get their entire calf branded.

Road cycling and tri athlon are 2 seriously different beasts when it comes to brand indoctrination.

There is no subtlety in a crop top and speedo....... 

lol, if you wish to live in the past do so!!

All I am saying is Ironman have marketed themselves and their clothing pretty well, you name it, it probably had an IM logo on it and people buy it whether subtlety or not cool to wear.....cycling and pro team could probably learn something from the marketing hype if they are considering merchandising clothing and making it cool to wear

Ok, just saw on twitter

Confirmed contracts:

Thomson

Janse v Rensburg

Dlamini

Walscheid

Pozzovivo

Stokbro

Gogl

Sunderland

Campenaerts.

Negations with:

Simon Clarke

Fabio Aru

Nizzolo

Yet Ironman don't have a problem getting people wearing their kit.  I think cycling just need to adapt accordingly.

EF are starting to, Rapha as well, to name 2

This is true, imo they (pro cycling teams) could sell more shirts (polo, collared and t shirts) with smaller logos on them compared to replica cycling tops... these could be worn by fans anywhere in general / casual situations.... but they don’t. I’ve been lucky enough to attend various big cycling tours and have tried to buy one of these..... nada nicks zot... plenty of cycling tops, shorts, bibs, jackets and socks tho

One problem could be the number of sponsors..... most cycling teams have a long list of sponsors