[Event] Coronation Double Century 2018

Mamil

• Replies 369
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The most reckless riding I saw all day was Vincento Nibali who put in a blistering fast sprint on the downhill section after the finish line towards the Sportsgrounds. He went so fast that the cops controlling the traffic at the main road intersection probably thought it was Valentino Rossi on his Yamaha. At least he stuck mostly to the right hand side of the road and did not put any cyclists travelling in the same direction into danger :D

Lol

When the road points down he goes bos..did you see his "cyclo cross" video he posted the other day

What some mixed teams do is send 6 guys ahead to the first 2 stops letting the ladies then catch up, then get 3 ladies across the line at the end in top 6.

[emoji848]

Mixed Category:

1. Bluff Meat Supply Mixed 05:12:36

2. Cape Cycle Tours 05:13:42

3. Pure Savage Mixed Racing 05:36:32

A friend of mine rode with them (that's her holding the flowers up)

Uncle Velo is going to be bummed - they were wanting the win.

But then again, he will also be humble in settling for anything on a podium.

Uncle Velo is going to be bummed - they were wanting the win.

But then again, he will also be humble in settling for anything on a podium.

Looking forward to the race report

What a stunning day!!

Savage ladies team podiumed, really impressed with the ladies team. 

Our mixed team beat 4th place by 30 seconds to get onto the podium on 3rd. Some massive machines in that team!

The lads did a 5:08 and improved 3 spots from last year to 13th overall. 

The old ballies had their best DC getting all 12 home in 7:31! 

attachicon.gifDC 2018.JPG

Mini Savage said that he is interested in doing the DC next year, but he will need to work hard on his long distance cycling in the coming months. He will be 19 next year, so hopefully he is just gonna get stronger.

The most reckless riding I saw all day was Vincento Nibali who put in a blistering fast sprint on the downhill section after the finish line towards the Sportsgrounds. He went so fast that the cops controlling the traffic at the main road intersection probably thought it was Valentino Rossi on his Yamaha.  At least he stuck mostly to the right hand side of the road and did not put any cyclists travelling in the same direction into danger  :D

I was descending Tradouws pass at 70km/h and on the brakes waiting for my team mates, Nibali came next to me then smiled and gave me a thumbs up, So in other words he was going close to 80km/h downhill around a slight bend with 1 hand on the bars... Such a cool guy though, Posed for a number of selfies whilst riding.

I was descending Tradouws pass at 70km/h and on the brakes waiting for my team mates, Nibali came next to me then smiled and gave me a thumbs up, So in other words he was going close to 80km/h downhill around a slight bend with 1 hand on the bars... Such a cool guy though, Posed for a number of selfies whilst riding.

Should've jumped on his wheel could've learnt a few things..that guy has some incredible descending skills

Should've jumped on his wheel could've learnt a few things..that guy has some incredible descending skills

Mate a team mate says Nibali bunny hopped over a bottle which had fallen out on the descent and everyone just went "whooaaa".. Again, This is 70km/h +

Edited by FootballingCyclist

Mate a team mate says Nibali bunny hopped over a bottle which had fallen out on the descent and everyone just went "whooaaa".. Again, This is 70km/h +

Crazy lol

Mini Savage said that he is interested in doing the DC next year, but he will need to work hard on his long distance cycling in the coming months. He will be 19 next year, so hopefully he is just gonna get stronger.

perfect, will help reduce our average age, it’s been creeping up! We do have a lot of PHD’s now though [emoji51] helps when counting to 6 to have a math phd.

I take back what I replied to Malcom.

There does seem to be some extra crashes this year. Like this strange one, don’t remember there being a rock garden or train track there!

aaf5656a0b362e667f9d0db4b3b68c73.jpg

5f8ecc5227b0304a5795e1b848c515f7.jpg

I take back what I replied to Malcom.

There does seem to be some extra crashes this year. Like this strange one, don’t remember there being a rock garden or train track there!

aaf5656a0b362e667f9d0db4b3b68c73.jpg

5f8ecc5227b0304a5795e1b848c515f7.jpg

Ouch.. but damn that first pic was great time by whoever snapped it.

Probably not, without the feeding zones it would not be possible. Probably will become a 190km event again when road works done.

Why Not? The feed zones can still stay, only the clock does not stop. Easy peasy. That is the way it was in the past.

Edit: But wait, cycling is the new golf so I wonder how many of the current social teams would make the cutoff.

Edited by TDFN

Why Not? The feed zones can still stay, only the clock does not stop. Easy peasy. That is the way it was in the past.

Edit: But wait, cycling is the new golf so I wonder how many of the current social teams would make the cutoff.

You cannot safely race through the feed zones. On Saturday our dropped riders tried to ride through at 25km/h and got stuck behind people pulling out and in. It’s just not physically possible.

It was possible before when the event was much smaller and your team car could feed you wherever you wanted on the road. It’s just not possible having 290 support cars trying to pass one another on the day.

81e9e0ce91ce3cf8780c4a468774e22c.jpg

Back in the day when there were 80 odd teams and then 170 it was possible to have a support car follow, but 290 would be like a scene from death race.

Edited by Pure Savage

You cannot safely race through the feed zones. On Saturday our dropped riders tried to ride through at 25km/h and got stuck behind people pulling out and in. It’s just not physically possible.

It was possible before when the event was much smaller and your team car could feed you wherever you wanted on the road. It’s just not possible having 290 support cars trying to pass one another on the day.

The other obvious point is that you don't HAVE to spend 30 minutes in the feeding zone, you can ride through and have your 200km race.

We can hate the golfers all we want, but my gut feel is that if the event didn't grow to it's current size with these okes partaking it would probably dead by now. Must be massive costs & effort involved to stage this type of race.