Alan Hatherly - you beauty!

ichnusa

I'm all for e-bikes, even in normal events, especially if it enables people, who for some reason or other are not able to participate on a normal bike, to also experience the joys of riding a bike in an event. 

However, the idea of racing an e-bike is still a bit foreign to me.

Edited by WIPEOUT 1000

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm all for e-bikes, even in normal events, especially if it enables people, who for some reason or other are not able to participate on a normal bike, to also experience the joys of riding a bike in an event. 

Agree, I'm all for e-bikes, even in normal events, especially if it enables people, who for some reason or other are not able to participate on a normal bike, to also experience the joys of riding a bike in these events. 

Nail on the head!

Alan's starts for those who think this was a easy race 

Ave HR 181

Max HR 191

You welcome 

Thats a few beats higher on both stats than my last XCO race  :clap: .

Problem is his Pave and Pmax are 200W higher LOL

Ave HR 181

Max HR 191

You welcome

I'm fairly sure nobody thinks it was easier. What I am battling to understand is the why.

Ok you can use an ebike. But only up to 25kph and only 250w assistance...when you pedal.

It all seems a bit random and contrived.

I have to agree with you, I am still trying to make sense of what the idea is with this race, how ever it was a packed field with some big names so it is still a great result for Alan but honestly, i would have felt a lot better if it was a over weight middle aged man wearing the rainbow stripes in the Ebike class.

Maybe there is some merit in this class of racing for retired pro's .... something like the senior tour in the golfing world.

I think it has to do with manufacturers trying to push advertisment and awerness for ebikes. Get a few big names riding a "world cup" event and suddenly ebikes are seen as desirable. Same reason why you see so many Scott bikes out there, sure it is good bikes but the world cup winner rides one so you can be fast on it as well. Same reason so many people ride a Sworks Epic - because that was the bike that won the Epic who knows how many times and better yet it is a local race.

I'm very torn by his win. Let's be brutally honest - he's nowhere of significance when it comes to World Cup races (33/99 as it stands, read at https://chronorace.blob.core.windows.net/webresources/20190810_dh/lenz_xco_me_standings.pdf).

Now he goes and tries his hand at this? I'm a fan of any Saffa on the international scene, but this is leaves too many question marks. 

Let's be brutally honest, given the world class athletes he competes against on the world UCI XCO playing field, and that this is his first year racing elites, AH is doing rather well in the conventional XCO racing scene!

Give him a season or two to get really competitive.

I'm fairly sure nobody thinks it was easier. What I am battling to understand is the why.

Ok you can use an ebike. But only up to 25kph and only 250w assistance...when you pedal.

come on.... I know you want to enter the E-bike World Champs next year. Just embrace it and let it go,.....let it go.......don't hold it back anymooooooore

I think it has to do with manufacturers trying to push advertisment and awerness for ebikes. Get a few big names riding a "world cup" event and suddenly ebikes are seen as desirable. Same reason why you see so many Scott bikes out there, sure it is good bikes but the world cup winner rides one so you can be fast on it as well. Same reason so many people ride a Sworks Epic - because that was the bike that won the Epic who knows how many times and better yet it is a local race.

once we all have an e-bike the field will be level again.

Ave HR 181

Max HR 191

You welcome 

Does this race have any impact on his preparation for the XCO?

Why do humans race anything? If it can move, it can be raced. Why do ebikes need special justification?

It's all about marketing and sales.Put a Pro on something today and tomorrow everyone wants one.

Agree, I'm all for e-bikes, even in normal events, especially if it enables people, who for some reason or other are not able to participate on a normal bike, to also experience the joys of riding a bike in these events. 

The reality though, is that these people would be a very small minority of ebike riders, majority of people that choose to ride ebikes are perfectly capable of riding normal bikes.

Would love to see ebiking grow to the extent that they have their own events and the debate is around whether normal bikes should be allowed to mix with ebikes at ebike events  ^_^