Breaking News: Cycle Lab Acquires Chris Willemse Cycles

fanievb

I disagree. Cyclelab and FPC got the industry together to fix prices

They will say this is "inaccurate", but it takes a huge leap of faith to think it's all fabricated.

https://mg.co.za/article/2009-03-17-taken-for-a-ride

The case was dropped, but the two big distributors eventually got pinged. For me the mud sticks forever.

This is all it comes down to. If a company is found out for price fixing, ie literally giving me and you the finger and tries to screw us out of money, I will never ever support them again. I will rather not ride my bike than buy anything from these guys.

It does not matter if CWC keeps their staff, management, and what else - they are in bed with a company who tried to screw you out of money because they think you are an absolute idiot and should just pay what they decide. By comparison, CWC approves of this attitude. It is sad, but they will not see my money again. They made their choice, and the choice is to screw you out of money.

If you keep on supporting companies like this then you are being taken for a fool, and you are either happy with it, or you are prostituting your values for a couple rands discount.

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well done Chris

I remember when he had a little shop in Claremont with buggerall stock.

He has done well and reaps the reward for his hard work.

I really dont know why everyone has this LBS allegiance thing.I buy where it is convenient and the pricing is competitive.

If I am in the area I will buy from CL

I bought 10K worth of stuff from CWC online in Oct 2017 because the price was reasonable

Bought wheels from CL because the price was good.

Bought about 20K worth of upgrade on my PYGA and a Thule from Finishline because they were convenient and reasonably competitive

Get a life...more important things to worry about

Disaster , Chris what were you thinking , retiring ?? Cycle Lab are the worst terrible staff & crazy high pricing . Chris Willemse best staff & pricing !!!

1st Post....delusional...nice try though....

I love how okes can have opinions of opinions on assumptions.

Let this play out before we all start speaking in absolutes and pre-empt the end of the bike industry economic world.

Omnico were one of the biggest instigators of price fixing yet no one says 'I will never own a Fox/Cannondale/GT etc'.... 

Well done Chris

I remember when he had a little shop in Claremont with buggerall stock.

He has done well and reaps the reward for his hard work.

I really dont know why everyone has this LBS allegiance thing.I buy where it is convenient and the pricing is competitive.

If I am in the area I will buy from CL

I bought 10K worth of stuff from CWC online in Oct 2017 because the price was reasonable

Bought wheels from CL because the price was good.

Bought about 20K worth of upgrade on my PYGA and a Thule from Finishline because they were convenient and reasonably competitive

Get a life...more important things to worry about

it's in the name LBS

For years a bikeshop has been way more than just a business. Traditionally owned and run by former star riders (some with negligible business experience) they become more of a club/social gathering spot than just a place to buy an item. Some have tried to record why they want to support - https://www.singletracks.com/blog/uncategorized/opinion-the-top-5-reasons-you-should-shop-at-your-lbs/

That's it. With the industry growing up it's becoming more London Business School, and well you can take your bucks wherever you want anyway.

Let this play out before we all start speaking in absolutes and pre-empt the end of the bike industry economic world.

Omnico were one of the biggest instigators of price fixing yet no one says 'I will never own a Fox/Cannondale/GT etc'.... 

That is not the Bikehub way 

That isn’t factually correct. Instigator vs participant. Different things.

The fine they paid is just an unfortunate circumstance of being one of the biggest distributors and not taking a stronger position against the events. Guilty? Yes.

Big instigator? No.

It’s al in the transcripts. Plenty of big instigators got off Scott free. Some still strong arm the industry today and get away with it and have loyal devoted followers

if the good specials vanish...so will we.. CWC at special can only beat direct imports by a small margin...2%

remember...online is online... and takealot.com/others also increases their offering in this regard on a monthly basis...with free shipping...

Its already an expensive sport...moet nie die hoender ruk nie

Edited by Renier Hugo

Damn. Feel much the same as most seem to feel about this acquisition.
Always enjoyed having CWC as an online source for goods and hope that will continue but suspect not. Will wait and see.

Buycycle / Evo Bikes here's your chance to try step up your online market.

EasyBike to that list also

Well I just hope that the specials will still happen I bought a lot of things on special. There is a trend of the big fish eating the smaller fish to eliminate competition .

I remember Omnico received a fine for price fixing. But what did the average Jo get out of that ,,,not much.

The margins on cycling related items are crazy.

... its very well CL says they will beat any price.

It becomes allot easier if you buy the competition whom's price you had to beat every time, and you now make their price, so easy to push that (price) up to align with yours,

Now it's just the other online smaller players that don't always have the volume to be able to compete on price.

Might not be price fixing but it accomplishes very much the same in the end, control your market and clients.

G